Search

Utah/Colorado/New Mexico-Advice on Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Khy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah/Colorado/New Mexico-Advice on Itinerary

We (2 adults) are looking to fly in to Salt Lake City in September for 1 night.
Then, we head to Torrey, for 2 nights, to see Capitol Reef, and then 4 nights in Moab.
After Moab, we cross over to Colorado, head down towards Ouray/Durango and then towards Bloomfield, New Mexico (1 night) so that we can visit Chaco Canyon, and then head to Santa Fe to spend a final 4 nights (before flying back to the East Coast from Albuquerque).
This amounts to a total of 12 nights away.

Does this schedule sound good, and does it give us enough time in Capitol Reef, Moab, near Chaco and in Santa Fe?
Also, any hotel suggestions? In Moab, since we don't want to stay right in town, we're looking at either Sorrel River Ranch or Red Cliffs Lodge. Any thoughts between the two?
Also, any ideas for a great resort, away from the Plaza, in Santa Fe? We loved Bishop's Lodge on our last trip, but we're looking for some place different.

Thanks so much!

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Your itinerary looks good. One full day in Capitol Reef and 3 full days in Moab area looks very good. Will you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

I figure that you will be driving to Grand Junction so that you can take the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango. If so, when you leave Moab, take scenic Hwy 128 east out of town to I-70. Keep in mind that this will probably be a long day in the car. Very scenic! I've never spent much time in Santa Fee so I can't comment on this.

Not sure why you don't want to stay in Moab. It's a very cute little town. We always camp, so I don't know much about the lodgings.

Utahtea

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Khy
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea!
So, here's another question for you. If we opt to stay in the town of Moab, which hotel would you select? We wanted something a bit quiet (if that's possible), since last time we stayed in the town of Moab (which we loved), it was very busy and a bit loud. Any suggestions?
Thanks again!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM

In Moab we stayed at the Sleep Inn. It was new & is part of Choice Hotels Intl. We didn't know it at booking, but the property is at the opposite end of town from Arches. That might define quiet for you considering I did not realize that Moab was loud! The property has a nice outdoor pool & indoor jacuzzi.

While in Moab, have you ever tried one of the Hummer tours?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:07 PM

khy,
You should check out the Dreamkeeper Inn in Moab. I have not stayed there myself but it gets great reviews and is off the main drag. www.dreamkeeperinn.com
We stayed at the River Canyon Lodge (Microtel) last year right downtown and had a jr suite for $79/night. It was fine and very quiet as it was a block off the main drag.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Hi Khy,

Since you have been to Moab before, I guess you know if you want to stay in town or not. I go down at least once a year and, if not camping, stay at the Dreamkeeper Inn. Excellent B&B about 2 blocks off Main street.

I think as soon as you get off Main St., Moab is very quiet. I don't know if you can get res at this late date as the Inn only has 6 rooms. I've stayed there several times over the years and recommend it highly.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:18 AM

khy,
Your itinerary sounds great! We've spent the last two September trips in southern Utah but this upcoming Sept will be spent in Colorado/New Mexico. We are spending 2 nights in Chaco (camping) then heading to Jemez Springs which sounds like a lovely little town, then onto Taos before we fly out of Denver. You might consider a stop at Mesa Verde enroute to Chaco. We are really looking forward to this trip, especially Chaco Canyon.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM

My wife and I spent four wonderful evenings this past May in Moab at the Aarchway Inn. Very nice place and since it about 1 mile north of town, very quiet. We floated by Sorrel Ranch and went into Red Cliffs to pick someone up for teh raft ride. I was much more impressed with Sorrel Ranch. However be aware that rt 128, while very scenic, is not a great road to be on, particulatly after dark. We liked staying in town close to the restaurants, shops and ice cream shop (Moab Diner).