Hotel in San Jose

Aug 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
Cheryl

Hotel in San Jose

We have a 6a.m. flight out of San Jose and need a room for the night before.Does anyone know of a nice hotel near the airport.
Thank you

Aug 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
David

Cheryl,

Some suggestions include the Doubletree www.dtsj.com
Wyndham www.wyndham.com/SanJose/
Hyatt San Jose http://hyattsanjose.hyatt.com/

Aug 1st, 2002, 01:42 PM
gbs

we booked the doubletree at a great rate with Priceline. it was a good location

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:40 PM
Flyer

Cheryl,

There is no way in the world you could have a 6am flight out of San Jose. San Jose has a noise ordinance and flights can't leave until 6:30 am. Picky? Maybe. You can board around 6:00 for your "6:20 flight", sit and slowly taxi out, then sit some more. At 6:30, you get in line and take off.

You obviously haven't done any research on San Jose. There are several hotels in the area of the airport.

Do some homework.

Flyer

Aug 1st, 2002, 05:22 PM
kam

Flyer is absolutely correct about the noise ordinance bans at SJC. But, you board your plane and sit in line waiting for the clock to tick. It's almost funny! The nicest hotel in San Jose in my opinion is the Fairmont and I would think they would offer valet service to the airport since it's not very far. Get there, check in, and then have a Starbucks before clearing security. It's a pretty easy airport although getting worse and worse all the time. P.S. Doubletree would be fine, but you might enjoy the Fairmont (same chain as the famous hotel in SF)

Aug 1st, 2002, 05:47 PM
Yolanda

Is it just me? When I hear "nice hotel room for the night near the airport for very early flight" I'm more inclined to think of Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6 or Best Western than of a Fairmont top-end hotel located downtown.

Aug 1st, 2002, 06:08 PM
kam

Yolanda, it depends on whether you want to enjoy being in the downtown of the city with restaurants around you or if you just want a place to sleep. It's really your choice. I think the poster asked for a good hotel, so that's what I recommended. She might enjoy a good dinner in SJ the night before and enjoy the luxury of the Fairmont. There are certainly many others.

Aug 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
Monica

Kam, how early would you have to get to the airport to actually get a starbucks coffee before you board? Even in the worst of the security check-in lines at SJC is nothing compared to the line at the starbucks!

Aug 1st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Grasshopper

The time I had a 6 am flight Starbucks wasn't open yet. Courtyard by Marriott; close, inexpensive, clean

Aug 1st, 2002, 09:03 PM
kam

Starbucks was open at 6 am last time I flew from SJC. Mind you, I don't even drink coffee, but was able to get water.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
cheryl

Flyer
I apologize my flight is at 6:20. I did do some homework to check for a hotel but I just wanted some input from someone who might know the area. We are driving up from Montery after the Montery historic races and wanted a nice place near the airport. It was not my intention to upset someone with want they assume is a stupid question.
I would like to thank the people for there answers--they were very helpful.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:19 AM
Traveltramp

I think Flyer is having a grumpy day. The Fairmont is nice, but can be expensive. However with the economy the way it is, you may be able to get a really good rate, even on a suite (they are beautiful). The Doubletree is also very nice, but not near downtown activities, although they have great amenities. There is also a very nice Hilton downtown, although it is more of a convention hotel. Again, shop for a good rate and you may wind up with a suite. Many of our conferences and company parties have been cancelled out here because the local economy is in, shall we say "recovery". If you want something Historic, you could check out the St Claire (other side of the convention center from the Hilton) or the De Anza, although I think the rooms are small. I have lived here for 16 years and my husband was born in Santa Clara, so we have been to functions at most of the best hotels around.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Dionne

Wherever you bunk, remember that the traffic patterns around SJC are pretty horrific, and even if you are "close" the transit time can be considerable. If you have a 6:20 flight, plan on leaving your hotel no later than 5:00 AM (at the latest) if on a shuttle, at least 30 minutes earlier if returning a rental car. The last time I had one of these flights I almost missed it becasue of the lines at security, though I had allowed what I thought was a good amount of time.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Susan

Dione has a good point. SJC is a commuter airport, lots of business travelers flying out first thing in the AM, so do give yourself plenty of time to get through security. SJC is easier to navigate in the middle of the day and on weekends.

Aug 4th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Ronda

When I flew out of SJC in mid-July on United (note: American is at another terminal) I thought I had lot of time to get a Starbucks. Got in line, waited, got coffee, then saw the security line! It was around the corner and clear down to luggage claim! So be careful.

Aug 4th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Betsy

Cheryl, according to www.biddingfortravel.com, Priceline uses the following hotes at SJ airport:
3-star: Hyatt San Jose, Doubletree San Jose, Wyndham San Jose
2.5-star: Summerfield Suites, Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Airport

If you choose the SJ airport option on PL and bid for a three-star or two-star, you'll get one of the ones listed above. I'd bid $35 to start, as occupancy rate is suffering in this area. If you study the bidding process on Bidding for Travel you'll find that there are a lot of free bid opportunities if your first bid is rejected.

I don't work for PL or BFT, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Good luck

Aug 4th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Bill

Doubletree and Courtyard are closest to the airport if that adds to the decision. You could seriously walk it if you had to (though you shouldn't) - so if you want to sleep a bit later it might be worth the proximity.

Aug 5th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Jill

Doubletree has a $99 special that just came up on my email this morning (if you decide not to go the Priceline route).