Reload this Page >

La Playa Beach Resort-Naples, FL Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:17 AM
Rick

Recently stayed at LaPlaya Beach Resort in Naples, Florida. This resort just went through a major renovation and we surprisingly booked an inexpensive room. However, when we arrived we learned our room was in another building across the street and not in the main resort building. This means you have to walk across the street everytime you want to go to the beach/pool/spa, etc. Could be a problem if it is pouring rain and want access to the main part of the resort. . So make sure if you want to have a gulf view, to call the hotel and confirm...especially if you book through an internet site and not direct. I believe the rooms across the street have an intracoastal view, which is not bad. However, was told they are smaller as well but for the price (as low as $99-$119 off season)they are probably worth it. The reason I don't know details on them is because luckily, we were able to upgrade to a gulf view room in the tower.

The gulf view room was very nice and spacious, almost like a little suite. There was a canopy bed, a sitting area with loveseat and chair plus another area with a small table/2 chairs for eating. The view is absolutely spectacular with huge sliding glass doors along the entire wall. The balcony was quite large with two teak padded chairs and and lounge chair. You feel as if the gulf is practically coming up to your room. We actually kept the door cracked so as to hear the ocean all night long. The bathrooms were nice, redone in grey & white marble. The only disapointment was the bathtub...it was traditional cast iron and I am not sure it was replaced in the renovation. It was chipped and looked well used. I would not soak in a a bath in it, which would of been nice. I would have expected something nicer, but you can't have everything!

The beach was wonderful and don't expect to see the chairs advertised in the brochure. The pools are incredible, built free form, surrounded by stone and waterfalls...really nice. You can get a massage outside in a cabana near the pool.

We ate at the restaurant, Baleen, on property and it was fantastic. We ate outside beachside and watched the most incredible sunset while eating an amazing dinner. Expensive but well worth every penny. Definitely dine here whether you stay at the resort or not.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:40 AM
sal

Thanks so much for all the info. I was wondering about La Playa after renovation. Would you stay here again and if so how much would you pay per night for gulf view tower? How far of a walk to Ritz? Thanks so much.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Beth

Rick , we are staying at the LaPlaya over the 4th. I asked for a beachfront room,and they put me in a room beside the tower. Is that the one that is across the street? Do they have beach chairs with umbrellas at the beach? Would you stay there again or try the Ritz?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:41 PM
sal

ttt

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Rick

Sal,
Yes, I would stay at LaPlaya again in a heartbeat. I have never stayed at the Ritz but am told it is the best in Naples...but is no doubt more expensive. We paid about $160 a night for our gulf view room in the tower Depending on what time of year you stay would determine price really so it is hard for me to say what I would pay(holidays and during season it is much higher). At checkout, I noticed some people had a bed & breakfast package so I am sure there are other deals to be had.

The Ritz is not that far a walk. We strolled down the beach maybe 10 minutes until we reached it.

Beth,
There is a low rise building (I think was 2 stories) on the gulf side also so that is where you are booked. It is right next to the tower and looked equally as nice. One side faces the beach, the other faces the pool, so just make sure you got booked in beachview not poolview.

Yes, they do have beach chairs (white plastic) and umbrellas are available. The beach employees will come over with a sand drill and drill a hole and pitch your umbrella for you. There is also 2 jet skis and some boats available for rental (don't no how much).

My one observation about the Ritz was it was set a lot further back from the beach than LaPlaya. LaPlaya is right on the beach. The Ritz was a little bit of a walk to get to from the beach. I'm sure the rooms have a nice view though. I just liked how LaPlaya was right on top of the beach.

Hope this helps...enjoy your visit...you'll love it.

Rick

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Rick

One more thing I would like to add...

A lot of people either faked not knowing or just were never told that there is a $12 per day "resort fee" which covers your beach towels, free local phone calls, etc. Also, you must valet park your car which is $15 per night.

There were a number of people arguing about it at the front desk. We knew about it in advance.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:07 AM
Becky

We have just returned from a 1 week stay at LaPlaya and thought that the place was fabulous looking. We stayed in the Beach Wing which is beside the tower and right on the beach. Our large balcony was about 10 feet from the sand, though LaPlaya's beach does not have a lot of sand, more like a large dune of broken shells. Two people in our party got cuts walking on it. Yes they have nice umbrellas but they cost $20.00/day. This is above the $12.00 resort fee. We were not told about this until check out. The Housekeeping has some work to be done as two days we did not see them and actually ran out of bathroom tissue. As well, one of our bathroom lights was burnt out and despite the fact that I asked for it to be replaced it never was. Rate 3 out of 5 stars.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
sal

Rick, I was wondering if you also had housekeeping problems. Did you find your room clean every day? Also, about the building across the street, are there nice views?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Becky

Re the tower across the street. Some have intercoastal views but some have balconys that face the gulf. Our room in the 3 story beach front wing were beautiful. The balcony was 20' wide x 5' deep. Perfect for sunset or dolphin watching. The pools are very well landscaped. The service everywhere showed that the staff has been well trained. If they could just get Housekeeping up to the level of everyone else I'd improve my rating.
Oh, except the nickel and dimeing at every turn!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:34 PM
sal

Becky, Did you go in the building across the street? Is it very far from the other buildings? Did it look as Nice? Also did you eat in La Playa' restaurants? Thanks for the info.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:44 AM
Rick

Sal,
There was a note in the room that the resort was being environmentally conscious, so housekeeping would come every other day...that may have something to do with it.

The building across the street looked as nice as the other buildings, but we did not go in.

The on property restaurant, Baleen, is excellent and is rated one of the best restaurants in Naples.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Lara

Becky: You really threw me with your comments about the shelly beach.

I have booked a suite at La Playa for July, but a soft sand beach is a *must* for me. If I cannot find a nice beach at La Playa, is there anywhere in Naples I can? Thanks for any advice.

And Rick, thanks for posting your report.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:30 AM
linda

I have stayed at Vanderbuilt beach resort which is right down the beach from La Playa and the beach was very soft and white sand. Compared to the Atlantic side the beach sand is much less course and gritty.I have been both in April and August. I do not think you will be disappointed. However, in August I found the ocean very still and so warm it was almost not refrershing!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Rick

Linda,
I wouldn't sweat the beach at LaPlaya. Just wear something on your feet walking onto the beach. The closer to the water you get, the more pure sand you get. In the water is perfect. The sand felt so good under my feet in the water and there were not any shells at all. Actually, one of the nice things to do is stroll along the beach and collect interesting shells.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:39 AM
abst14

which other hotels would you recommend on the beach that are clean, newer the better and refreshing. I don't like renovated hotels too much, the old seems to come through. I prefer a clean Hampton Inn to a renovated historic place. I'm going over to Naples for a few days on business with my kids and want something reasonable but nice. Right on the beach. Probably under $125 per night.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:30 AM
george

I am going to be staying at La Playa in the fall and I am beginning to get nervous. Housekeeping only comes every other day! I never heard of a quality hotel doing this and I hope its only temporary. Any info is appreciated because I am contemplating cancelling my reservations.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:04 PM
George

ttt

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Becky

Re: Housekeeping at LaPlaya. I was never told that Housekeeping only came every other day! That is absurd! This hotel is billing itself as a 5 star hotel. We had to call to ask for toliet tissue due to housekeeping not coming and certainly nobody said they were coming everyother day.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Becky

ReaPlaya beach. The beach area in front of the beach wing is better than directly in front of the hotel tower. Ask for the a chair the further down the better. LaPlaya is probaby not allowed to get rid of the dune of shells for envronmental reasons. The rooms across the street are nice.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:09 AM
George

Becky, Is it a long walk from the rooms across the street to the main building? How are the common areas are they clean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -