Hotel Edison NY

Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Edison NY

For a week in June I found hotel Edison at 185 $ / night double room, including taxes.
Is this a good price?
I saw very good reviews for this hotel.
Do somebody stayed here and can tell advise?

I never used Priceline or Hotwire so I am not a familiar with them. More than this, I want to be sure that I can cancel without problem if something happens.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:40 AM

I haven't stayed there, but we asked to see a room when we were in NYC, in case we wanted to stay there in the future. We thought the location was great for us (lots of people don't want to stay in Times Square) because we go to NYC for the theater, so like to be a short walk from theaters and TKTS. The Edison is large, catering to big groups. It is clean and utilitarian, but the rooms were a good size and the staff extremely pleasant and accommodating.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM

We've stayed there twice. One room was quite small, the other much larger. We don't spend much time in the room so for us it was fine. Great location. Also enjoyed the restaurant downstairs where it seemed like a lot of locals eat. We're going to stay there again this summer -- can't beat the price. By the way, just as a bit of trivia, they filmed an episode of Seinfeld in one of the rooms.
Have a great trip.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM

It depends on whether you want to spend a week in Times Square. Most NYers would cringe at the idea. For a theater weekend, I think this hotel is fine. For a week's stay, I wouldn't want to take the risk of getting one of those really small rooms and I wouldn't want to be located there. If it's available for your dates, the deal for the Warwick can be found for $189/night plus tax. It's a much nicer hotel in a better location. http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/763022
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM

I've stayed here. Our room was very small and you had to lean over the toilet to turn on the shower faucets, but it was okay otherwise.

They tend to get lots of school groups, especially over spring break (which can be anytime in the spring). The lobby can get incredibly very crowded when these groups are meeting up to do sightseeing or whatever.

My big complaint was that the hotel staff are completely unresponsive to noise comp;laint or repair needs (Our shower's hot water faucet was stuck in the "off" position). We had kids playing football in the hall outside our room at one in the morning. I called the front desk, but they said it was "up to the chaperones to control their kids"! I asked for the room phone of these chaperones, but he wouldn't give it to me. Finally, I went out in the hall and told them to knock it off myself. This went on for two nights.

The location is great if you want to be in Times Square, and the deli and Italian restaurant have nice food. Just take earplugs, and allow a long wait at check in and check out.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM

How truly interesting. This hotel was a favorite of my inlaws more than 50 years ago. Makes me feel "good" about NYC hotels the way I do about Paris hotels--they CAN endure.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM

I haven't stayed there is a few years but always had an enjoyable stay in the past. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the room, although not luxurious by any means, was clean and had everything we needed. The Café Edison was a fun place to grab some breakfast before we went out for the day.

As far as the statement "Most NYers would cringe at the idea" most NYers are not spending a week enjoying theater and forget they that just because you hotel is IN Times Square doesn't mean you are spending 24 hours a day hanging out there. I think its fine as a base, especially when your itinerary is theater-heavy. You can easily grab a cab, bus or subway to explore other neighborhoods during the day and get back to TS for theater.

Your tax-inclusive rate is a good one, and since you will be there for 5 days why not call the hotel ahead of time and request one of the larger doubles? Can't hurt . . and when you check in if you are unhappy with your room at ANY hotel, go to the front desk and see if it is possible to be moved. Some times it is, some times it is not.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM

You would also be close to 9th ave with many restaurants for pre or post theater dining. Also, depending on what theater you are going to you can go out the back door of the Edison, through the Marriot covered passageway and through Shubert Alley to avoid the crowds right in Times Square, plus if it's raining you can move a lot faster using that route!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM

ugh
Mar 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all. I still waits for booking confirmation. Meantime, I shall have a look at Warwick as Mclaurie advised.

I checked also Radio City Apartments and they have larger rooms for a smaller price. Is this a good option?
Mar 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Edison is sold out. I booked Radio City. Here I'll have a studio and the price for 7 nights is 100 $ less than at Edison.