Hotel and Restaurants in NY?

Jan 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Hotel and Restaurants in NY?

Please help me choose between the following hotels: (1) Ritz Carlton Central Park (Deluxe Guest Room w/o a view) and (2) Trump Interntional Tower (Cityview Suite).

I plan on staying for 6 nights. Please recommend the top six restaurants in NYC for dinner.

Jan 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Go with the Ritz Carlton Central Park plus it's a better location than Trump Int.

My Top 6 for dinner:

Per Sei( If you've already been to French Laundry no need to go here)

Daniel
Le Bernardin
La Grenouille(personal fav.)
Gotham Bar and Grill
Jean Georges

Bouley is overrated and not worth the $$
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM

On the hotels, I think it depends on what's important to you. The locations are almost across from each other. If you like a suite with a kitchen, go for the Trump. Trump also has a lap pool and RC has no pool. You'll get better service I think at the RC and rooms probably in better condition.

The Essex House (only considered 4* I think) is running a special thru Feb. on travelzoo.com It's right near the Ritz Carlton on CPS.

Top 6 restaurants obviously depends on who you talk to. Per Se is considered #1 by most and outrageously expensive. Daniel, Le Bernardin, Gramercy Tavern, Jean Georges, Sushi Yasuda, Babbo, Bouley are some of the other top places.
Jan 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Le Bernardin and Eleven Madison Park are personal favorites of mine and would easily rank among the top restaurants in NYC. A side-benefit of being in the Trump International is that Jean Georges is right there.
Jan 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Not that star ratings are everything, but i think Trump might be 4 star and the Ritz 5 star. I haven't stayed at Trump - but reveiws are a bit mixed. I have stayed at the Ritz CP and it is exceptional.
Jan 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM

It's impossible to reco the top 6 restaurants in NYC without knowing what cuisines you like/dislike and what atmophere you want - uber luxury, traditional, trendy?

There are a couple of dozen great restaurants in the city. Give us a clue what you're looking for.

And I would never pay for a cityview room at any hotel - only for a Park view or a Harbor view.
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Don't know about stars for restaurants in NYC, but I would be sure to get to at least one Danny Meyer restaurant. They include a couple already mentioned: Gotham Bar & Frill and 11 Madison Park. But also: Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe and Tabla. I love them all.

PS I'd take the Ritz Carlton anytime.
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I may be mistaken, but i don't think Gotham Bar and Grill is a Danny Meyer restaurant. It is , however, still great!
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM

emcash is correct on both points. Gotham is not a Meyer restaurant and it is excellent.
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Well, I'm sure you are right. it is one that I haven't been to, but I always thought it was a Danny Meyer. Thanks for the correction!
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Interestingly enough, Danny Meyer used to live above Gotham years ago . . . .
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Chanterelle
Nobu on Hudson
WD-50
Blue Hill
Little Owl
Picholine
Corton
Veritas

That's 8, Miss Thing!

Thin
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Ritz-Carlton Central Park. No contest.

Chanterelle (I echo thinny-thin) - my absolute all-time favorite. Le Bernardin is too hyped - - - the original in Paris was much better. I also think that Picholine would be a nice choice, especially if you have any Lincoln Center events planned. And, lastly, I hear wonderful things about Dovetail, on the upper West Side.

"Alles Gut!"