Where to stay in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely overwhelmed with the wealth of information here! It's truly amazing! My family is taking a rather long road trip this summer (Yosemite, San Francisco, Redwoods). We are planning 3 nights in San Francisco and need recommendations for a good place to stay. We really don't want to spend a fortune. Am I dreaming to think we can get something decent for under $150? We will have our car but I think we'd prefer to use public transportation to get around. So, something on the outskirts that has easy access to public transit would be great.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM

This thread has good info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35097412

I can recommend the Columbus Motor Inn.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Since you're on a "road trip, I'm assuming you will have a car.

Try the Columbus Motor Inn or Cow Hollow Inn as i understand they have free parking. Otherwise, expect to pay $35 on up for parking at some of the other hotels. Space is at a premium, especially towards the center of town.

Once in San Francisco, get the 3-day public transportation pass which will allow you to travel on almost every mode of public transportation: bus, trolley, cable car.

Another option is to use Priceline. Have you used Priceline before?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM

We stayed at the Castle Inn last year and it was very affordable and a good place to stay. The front desk was extremely helpful and it was close to public transit.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Columbus Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Inn, and Castle Inn are all great suggestions (and all have free parking). You don't need to stay on the outskirts as there are options within your budget right in town.

A Pricline hotel may likely put you in a place that charges for parking - not to mention the uncertainty of location - those "zones" can be pretty far reaching. Priceline is wonderful for many cities and awful for just as many cities - I'm not sure which camp San Francisco falls into.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:43 AM

We are frequent visitors to SF and have found Comfort Inn by the Bay to be a great location. Fabulous views of Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Angel Island(watched the huge brush fire on Angel Island from our hotel room one night this past October)Easy access to everything-three blocks to Fishermans' Wharf, Union Street Shops, Marina and right on Rt 101 to access Marin and wine country. Public transportation right on the corner. Good breakfast buffet, parking is extra. I've seen prices as low as $129 and as high as $199.00. Bay/bridgeview rooms are worth the extra, but not necessary.