Trip to the Carolinas

Search

Trip to the Carolinas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to the Carolinas

We are thinking of a vacation to the Carolinas in late May/early June this year.

We live in DC and want to go for about 11 days, including a day each way to drive there and back, leaving us 9 days in the area.

We would like a mix of urban life and the countryside.

We definitely plan to go to Asheville for at least 3 days.

We are thinking of maybe two more overnight stays. At least one, also for maybe three days, would be the country either near Great Smokey Park or closer to Asheville. Any recommendations on where to stay? We would be interested to do some hiking, driving tours, and relaxing. Would like to stay in a place for up to $150 per night.

Third place could be Greenville, SC - primarily to check it out in terms of a place to retire to. Any thoughts on going to Greenville?

Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Asheville is only two hours from the Cherokee entrance to the GSMNP, so you could theoretically use it as a base for exploring the park or move in closer -- Maggie Valley, Waynesville, Gatlinburg, Cherokee.

You could also go northeast of Asheville and visit the High Country: Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk, Grandfather Mountain.

I can give you LOTS of great roads to drive in either area.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Howie234, I like your idea of staying closer to Great Smoky Mountains NP if you are planning to do some hiking. It is wonderful time to visit the area. If you're seriously thinking about retiring to the area I also suggest visiting in other times when is not so pretty like now.

I stay here when I want to hike in the Smokies http://www.oakhavenresort.com/.

There are many cabins to choose from. Driving two hours from Asheville is a waste of your time you could spend hiking if you are closer to trailheads.

Wildflowers, flame azaleas and rhododendrons should be still blooming in the park.

<Any thoughts on going to Greenville?> I'm not sure what you're asking about. If you asked what roads to take then Xrae offered to help. Are you asking about hiking or the area in general? Can you post specific questions?
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The Oak Haven resort lloked nice.

Regarding Greenville, I don't really have any specific questions, other than is it worth a day or two of our time? I know it's not too exciting, but part of the purpose is to check it out as a possible retirement place to live.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I think it is well worth spending a day in Greenville to check it out for possible retirement. You would have time to get an overview, though if you wanted to look at property, you would probably need another day.

It is an interesting area, so far recession resistant with an active and lively downtown cultural/sports/restaurant area, with lots of folks on the streets having fun most nights.

Quite an international population as a result of the state recruiting overseas companies with worker training and tax breaks.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Spend 2-3 days in Greenville to get a good feel for the city. Stay downtown at either the Westin, Hyatt or Hampton Inn. If you like baseball try to come while the Drive is in town, we are very proud of our stadium. Visit Falls Park. Downtown living is fantastic if you like urban or old neighborhoods. If you want new and not a condo/apt look at the Verdae development. Great economy, environment, medical care etc.
Look at the Blue Ridge Parkway and maybe staying at the Pisgah Inn. If you go to GSMNP look at Townsend Tennessee, right at the entrance to Cades Cove.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:09 AM

The Pisgah Inn used to have great food (haven't been in a few years) and a fantastic view. The Parkway is beautiful, but it may be a little early for the summer wildflowers. I ike the segment between Ashville and balsam Gap best. And there are plenty of great hikes off the Parkway. Spend a day at Joyce Kilmer Mem. Forest -- an unlogged preserve of 600 year old trees and all the other plants that go along! (The tulip poplars make anything I've seen here in northern VA look puny!)