Search

Best hotel in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best hotel in NYC

I need your expert help for a forthcoming trip to NYC in late July. I am a frequent business visitor and usually stay at the Ritz Carlton Central Park, which I think is great.

However, my wife is joining me at the weekend from the UK, and I want somewhere really specail, we are both mid-30s professionals leaving the kids in the UK for the weekend, so I need somewhere with peaceful rooms, but it also needs to be:

Mid-town for the shops and park
Maybe has a top Spa or even pool
Rooms need to be bigger than average, and either strikingly contemporary or very elegant
Views have to be exceptional with the 'wow' factor
Staff need to be perfect, not too snooty or too over-friendly

I am prepared to pay up to $600 a night.

I have looked (over the internet) at the Parker Meridean, but the rooms look a little like a holiday inn, and it seems a little too big for great service-but id welcome advice from those that have stayed there.

I'd go for a Parkview room at the R-C, but thought I'd check elsewhere. I have stayed at the following , and ruled them out:

Pierre - too old fashioned
Plaza Athenee - nice but no facilities and you have to pay a lot for a room with any kind of view
Soho Grand - Full of painfully trendy people
Hudson - niose and crap service
St Regis - too old fashioned

So, guys, you all know the place, give me your advice-the R-C? Stanhope? Parker?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:18 AM

I think it will be hard to beat the Ritz Carlton. In general, the most wow factor for views will be on Central Park South with a park view. The RC has that, a club level if you want and a great spa. Other hotels on CPS besides the Ritz Carlton are the Essex House and the Intercontinental. Not sure either are better.

Interested in trying the brand new Mandarin Oriental on Columbus Circle? Views will be wow, even in the lobby which is on the 35 floor of the new Time Warner building. I find it a bit too Oriental/minimalist, but it might be exactly what you want. I would imagine they have a spa. Not sure they've gotten all the kinks out from being new though. Also right there is the Trump International. Modern, glass, tall---know nothing more about it.

The Four Seasons is very modern, will have some views and is in a slightly different location for you.

If you want to try the upper east side, I'd pick the Carlyle before the Stanhope. The Stanhope is now a Park Hyatt, their regular rooms are nothing special & not sure how many rooms with a view they have. Also in that neighborhood is the Mark, but I'd go for the Carlyle. The Parker Meridien has an indoor pool but I don't think it's up to the quality you're looking for.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Had a business associate stay at the Mandarin Oriental and loved it - but she always uses them where possible - so may be biased.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I don't think you'll find perfect service anywhere in the world. So if you think the RC is "great" why not just stay there again?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Small wonder the USD is worthless in the UK!
M
PS are you a rock star? Government employee?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM

My wife and I stayed in a suite at the Peninsula on our wedding night and would highly recommend it. The location is great, the rooms that are on the 5th Avenue side have a wonderful view, the service levels are to the standards of the Peninsula hotels (though not on par with their HK location), and the rooms are very nicely decorated.

In addition, they have a pool, a spa, and one of New York's best hotel bars - The PenTop Lounge.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Sherry-Netherlander - no spa but right on 5th Avenue, across from the Plaza. A wonderful old hotel across from the park with an "attitude". I don't like mega hotels so I avoid them. The sherry Netherlander has great suites and a fabulous staff. I'm sure they could accommodate your $600.00 a nite very nicely. I'm sure they could also find you a wonderful day spa in the area.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Are you for real?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:06 PM

I've stayed in a junior suite at tehe Parker meridien, and although fine, I don't thik it is what you are looking for. If money were no object , I think I would choose the 4 seasons, although I have never stayed there, I have stayed at other properties and have loved them. I also think you can't go wrong with RC.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM

waldorf towers?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM

If you would like to try The Palace, I can make a call and get you a bit extra treatment. I have done some work for the hotel for special events, so I have a bit of a pull.

The Palace, has one of the best restaurants in the city and is located on Madison at 50th St. The hotel was rennoved a couple of years ago and gets excellent reviews.

I had a client and his wife in town a couple of weeks ago and they were very nicely treated by the staff there, with an extra gift in the room for their arrival.

The rooms are very nicely done and the upper floors the view is very nice of the park and skyline of the city.

Hope you have a great time while you are here. Let me know if I can help.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:22 PM
gerbertravel

I stayed at the Four Seasons and found it to be excellent.

The Peninsula is extremely nice also. I think you would be very happy there.

I had a very big client who stayed regularly at the Carlyle Hotel if you want to take a look at that.

Good Luck,
Judith Gerber, Gerber Travel

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:57 PM

The LeParker Meridien does not even belong in the paragraph with most of the others you mentioned. You'll be very disappointed there given your specifications, no question.

The Four Seasons most closely matches your description IMO, but you'll have to get an upper floor room to have the "wow factor" views. I've stayed in an exec suite there (right at $600/nt) and it was everything you've described. Service is outstanding.

The Peninsula was a significant disappointment to me when I last stayed there fall of '03. It is the least impressive property in the Peninsula chain.

The St. Regis is indeed very traditional, and if that's not what you seek, it won't do for you (though it's right at the top of the list of NYC's best).

I haven't stayed at the Mandarin (<1 yr old) but it deserves a look if you want new, sleek, modern and top notch service.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Some great advice-and NO, I am not a rockstar (well not yet anyway), I am just prepared to spend a little extra for the perfect wekkend away, as my wife rarely gets a break from the kids!

Following all your advice I have dropped the Parker, and as I will be in NYC a few days before I am joined by my wife, thought I would try out the Mandarin Oriental in a Premier Park View Room.

It looks like a good room should have that 'wow' factor, they have a pool, and from having stayed in some of their places in the Far East, I know they can offer great service too.

I read on tripadvisor about some of the niose issues and rasied this with the hotel on the phone. They claim that they have resolved this, so in the two days I have in town before the weekend, I will try out the place as a business guest and see how it goes. I have a holding booking at the R-C in case it isn't what it promises!

Only confusing thing was the rate. Speaking direct to the hotel they were offering me the room for $800+ a night. On line, on their own site they have about 5 different rates for the same room on offer, so I booked the cheapest which was $659 a night. Still waiting for confirmation though.

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. This really is a very useful site.

If you guys ever need some advice on UK or European Hotels, just fire away!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM

I stayed in a Premier Park Room at the Mandarin a few weeks ago.

My thoughts:
The "Wow" factor is off the charts here. The Time Warner Center is the hot spot in the city right now and it will make you and your wife feel like movie stars. For example, while others wait in an endless line for a seat at the beautiful lobby lounge, as guests you will be whisked to the next table without much trouble. A ride in the courtesy car (a $300k Maybach) adds to the "Wow" factor too.

The room is very nice with a love seat overlooking your Park/Trump Tower view and 2 plasma tvs including 1 in the bathroom. The complimentary welcome tea service is a nice touch too.

The downside is the lack of intimacy at the hotel and the service. This will be quickly apparent to you as a frequent Ritz CP guest. Everyone has their hand out for a big tip at the MO. Although not opposed to being tipped for good service, the RC staff is notably classier.

I would choose the Ritz CP over the MO. The RC is quieter, more refined, and has all of the needed amenities including CP views, Club Level, LaPraire Spa, Atelier, and the Star Lounge/Bar with the great bartender Norman.

There is no better hotel in NYC than the Ritz CP.