Room With A View

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Room With A View

Can anyone suggest a good modern hotel (ie not old european style - as we are from Europe and would like something more 'up to date') in an area around Central Park where we could be guaranteed a room with an excellent view - either of the park or of the city.
We will be visiting in September as part of our 30th anniversary trip and are staying for a few days in Times Square, going on a cruise then returning to NYC for a few more days.
We know very little about NYC and would like to be close to good public transport locations to get around.
I posted before and got some excellent advice that helped me select our first hotel. Since then I have found that many of the hotels suggested, in the Central Park area, appear to have 'old-fashioned' style rooms.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM

How about the brand new Mandarin Oriental on top of the Time-Warner Center at Columbus Circle (SW corner of Central Park)? Tallest hotel rooms in NYC, definitely modern.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM

The newest major hotel in NYC is the Mandarin Oriental. It is very spare/minimal. The whole hotel "starts" on the 30 something (I think) floor of the new Time Warner building so you'd be guaranteed a great view. I visited the lobby a month or 2 ago & it's pretty impressive, although there was still a lot of construction going on in the building at that time. The hotel is at the southwest corner of the park. In a similar location is the Trump International hotel. I haven't been inside but imagine it's modern based on the outside. Both of these places have great restaurants but are very expensive.

Le Parker Meridien is near the park & is modern but you'd have to be on a higher floor for a view. The UN Plaza Millenium hotel is not near the park at all (it sits on the east river) but is modern looking & has some great views of the river & the city on higher floors. It would be more affordable, in the same range as the Meridien I think..
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM

The Four Seasons hotel is also quite modern but not right at the park. You'd have good views on higher floors.

BTW, can understand if you just prefer modern from a taste standpoint, but you should know rooms at the Ritz Carlton, Essex House, Pierre while tradiitonal style, will be in good condition, unlike some old fashioned style rooms in Europe.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Trump International would be modern. It is on Central Park West, near Columbus Circle. Next to the "old fashioned" Mayflower Hotel.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM
GoTravel

Either the Manderin Oriental or the Ritz-Carlton.

Rooms with a very of Central Park are going to be very expensive. You'll pay around $500 per night that time of year.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the good information.

mclaurie I appreciate your advice regarding the state of the rooms at these good hotels but it really is just a taste issue.

It looks like I would be unable to get such a hotel in the $300 -350 price range. Could anyone tell me if it would be possible if I used priceline?

If I did use priceline does anybody have any tips on how to obtain such a hotel in the Central Park area?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I am a huge fan of Priceline, but in your case I would advise against it, only because you have some specific requests; nothing wrong with that at all, but with PL you are 'stuck' with what you get. Hotels that have been 'won' for the Upper Midtown-Central Park South zone include the Drake, Essex House, Le Parker Meridian, and the Regency. Since this is your anniversary trip I think you might want to stick with a more traditional method of booking. Have you tried sites like quikbook.com or placestostay.com for rates and descriptions?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
gyppielou

Rhiga Royal? Maybe it would be too conventional, great suites though, and if you talk to the front desk manager, they will do their best to accomadate you with a view.

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM

As Margie points out, if you use Priceline, you won't be able to select a hotel that's modern in style. The Drake, Essex House & Regency are all lovely hotels but very traditional style. The only modern one that comes up in the area you want is Le Parker Meridien. Also, at PL prices, unlikely you'd get the best view. You might be able to pay extra for a view if one's available on check-in.

The PL midtown west area (Times Square) where you're staying before the cruise has mostly modern style 4* hotels because they're newer hotels.

I think you should have a look at Le Parker Meridien website & see if you like the look of the rooms

http://leparkermeridien.com/rooms.htm

The hotel also has an indoor pool & everyone loves Norma's rest. there for breakfast. The price should be less than $300/night. They have a section on specials you should check. If you decide you like this place you might even phone them since it's a special occasion.

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:09 AM

I would try every hotel/discount web site you can find (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, hotels.com as well as some of the us-only sites, etc.) to see what you can get as well as the hotel web sites and calling the hotels directly. the Mandarin oriental opened only recenly and often new hotels have discounts to fill their rooms until they build up a steady clientele. Also, if you know a real travel agent - not the chain store kind - ask them if they have any special deals on these hotels.