Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

~Short notice~need a recommendation for hotel in NYC for Sun 11/2

Oct 24th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi all...I'm embarrassed to ask this since I'm a "New Yorker", but I've never stayed overnight in Manhattan!
I'm taking my husband to the Giants/Jets game Sunday 11/2 as an anniversary/b'day gift. Since he knows about the game, I'd like to surprise him with an overnight in Manhattan. (Ok, so it might just be a little extra gift for me as well!! )

Hoping to add a little romance after the game. Also plan on taking the Circle Line or going to the Cloisters the day after (this is what we did on our first date.)

Anyway, so what I'm getting at, is that the location in Manhattan wouldn't mean too much although I'll have my car and would like to park at the hotel. I also don't want to spend a fortune... but I do hope to find something with a little luxury...

Any ideas? I'm thinking for the most $200 per night?

Can anyone help me out?
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Any of these good?

Helmsley Park Lane $179
Gramercy Park Hotel $159
Paramount Hotel $190
The Lucerne $190
The Melrose Hotel $192
Michelangelo Hotel $195
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:54 PM

That is the weekend of the NYC Marathon, so most of the hotel rooms in the city are booked.

I would see if The Palace has any available they often have good weekend rates, or go to Pricline.com and see what is left in the city in your price range.

You need to book fast.
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:44 AM

While it is Marathon weekend, Sunday night might not be too bad. First, do NOT go to the Gramercy Park Hotel for romance. It's rooms are tired, threadbare & often depressing. Of the others you mention, I'd say the Michelangelo is the one people like best on this board. Since it's in the theater district, it might be a good location for hopping the Circle Line at the west side pier.

I've stayed at the Lucerne. It's fine and newish with lots of marble. I had a particularly small, dark room facing an interior courtyard but it was fine for 1 night. Very clean & fresh. Their parking lot is a block or 2 away. Would be a decent location for getting to the Cloisters.

The reviews of the Park Lane here are not very good. Location great at Central Park South but the discounted rooms are evidently awful.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Another idea would be to stay all the way downtown (sorry I don't know where the game is being held-if Meadowlands, this would work well!). The Ritz Carlton Battery Park City or the Regent Wall St. might have some good Sun. nite rates & you might get a view of the Statue of Liberty from your room. You can hop the Circle line from downtown.

Another thought is to check the Park Hyatt Stanhope across from the Met. They may have a Sun nite special rate. It's a lovely hotel & the M4 bus will take you to the Cloisters.

Hope this helps.
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Excellent advice! Thanks a million!

(Funny I've been on here searching around for the past 3 hours and I literally just happened to search "Lucerne" and saw that the most recent response is in my very own question! =) )

As I've been searching around, I'm thinking it would be nice to stay close to the museums and Central Park, but I'm keeping the options open.

I'll definitely check out The Ritz Carlton Battery Park City and the Regent Wall St. (Yes, Giants Stadium/Meadowlands)

Thanks again!
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Also-you may want to try Hotels.com
Oct 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Why don't you go to Priceline and bid for 5 stars starting at $175? Nothing ot lose this way I think, I don't think a 5 * place can be bad.

If you don't know how to do it go first to Biddingfortravel to figure it out. You are the perfect Priceline customer as you don't mind sharing a bed and don't care exactly where you are.