Search

Horseshoe Bend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM
FLmom

Horseshoe Bend?

I'm wondering if it's worth leaving the South Rim in the late afternoon to make time to hike Horseshoe Bend before sunset?

If I leave the South Rim at sunrise, as planned, we will be able to do the Upper Altelope Canyon and the afternoon float trip. We will be moving on to Zion the next day, so we would miss Horseshoe Bend.

Like most of you, I want to see and do everything possible, but still want to have a relaxed vacction. What do you think?

P.S. current intinerary allows for 3 nights and 2 full days at the South Rim.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get up extra early on the day you are leaving for Zion and do the Horsehoe Bend hike. It won't take that long and it's only a couple miles in the wrong direction. Besides hiking in the early morning you will beat the heat!

Utahtea
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 04:45 AM
FLmom

Will I gain or lose an hour when I move from Page to Zion? If I gain an hour, this might work.

We wanted to schedule the 1/2 day horseback tour on the Sand Bench Trail, it departs at 9:00, so we need to be at Zion Lodge by 8:30am Utah time. I'm still trying to figure out the time zone differential.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM

I can never keep the time zone thing straight because AZ doesn't do day light savings and it gives me a headach thinking about it...LOL!

If you can't fit the Horseshoe Bend in before the departure morning, then I'd skip it. It's 118 miles from Page to Zion Lodge and I'd plan on driving time of just over 2 1/2 hours. You will have to drive thought the Zion Tunnel and there can be delays because the stop traffic in each direction so they can let large RV's go though...so you could get stuck there so this might take an extra 10 or 15 minutes. If you are NOT staying at the Zion Lodge, then you are going to have to park your vehicle at the Visitor Center and take the free shuttle bus to the Zion Lodge...this could cost you a lot of time!!! Maybe 30 minutes. If you are staying at the Lodge, then you can drive your vehile to the Lodge.

Utahtea
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
FLmom

Thanks so much for sharing all of your vast knowledge from this area and many others on these pages utahtea.

We have reservations for the Lodge so that will save the parking thing. I had only blocked 2 hours for the drive from Page to Zion, so I'm glad to know I need to head out a little sooner.

I've still got a lot of figuring and planning to do ...so I hope you don't get tired of answer all of my "green" questions.

Thanks again, Linda

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

No problem!

It's been 30 years ( wow...time flies) since we stayed in the Zion Lodge and they didn't have the shuttle buses back then. Did they tell you what you had to do to drive back to the Lodge and park there? Do you need to check in first so you have something to put in your vehicle that says you can park at the Lodge? If you have to check in first, that might also take some time.

Utahtea
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM

Hi Utahtea! We just stayed at Zion Lodge in june and received a parking pass (red) in our ressie confirmation letter. However, since i forgot it we were still able to drive back to the lodge. As you know, it will add a little extra time for the OP FLmom, but what a beautiful drive.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
FLmom

Yes, I've got the red parking pass for vehicle access to the Lodge. I double-checked and I do gain an hour when I cross the state line between Arizona and Utah. I'll leave Page at 6:30 am, that will give me three hours to enjoy a scenic morning drive and not be rushed for our 8:30 am horseback tour.

ellen_griswold- did you post a trip report? I've read many of your postings while researching my trip. This will be my first road trip and all of you fodorite veterans have been an inspriation to me. Please feel free to jump in at any time and help keep me straight as I fumble my way through this process.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM

There are several neat things to do in Flagstaff. We really liked the tour at Lowell Observatory, and we enjoyed the Museum of Northern Arizona.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

I am helping friends plan their trip to Sedona, Page, Bryce, Zion, etc. that I did a few years ago. I want to make sure they see Horseshoe Bend. I don't remember exactly how to find it - (we're from N.Y. - where they would be charging $25/pp to see this and in Page it's totally unmarked! LOL) Please tell me what "markers" on the highway in Page to look for. Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM

These links had directions:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/u...z/hik_glen.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/colorado/Gl...cnra_hike.html

Utahtea

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
FLmom

This floated to the top and I had to let you know, 6 weeks and counting for my trip out west!!!!

I can't believe how fast the time went by. When I see the original date on this post it doesn't seem possible. BTW I was able to arrange my schedule to include Horseshoe Bend for an early morning hike as utahtea suggested.

I'll be gone June 15 thru July 2, so a gigantic trip report with pictures with follow!

Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM

Hi FL mom! I'm just now seeing your post to me, so sorry i missed it! But glad you're able to visit Horseshoe Bend, its truly something special. Glad you're doing Antelope Canyon too. On previous trips we somehow missed both and loved exploring them last summer. Will you be stopping at, or exploring Lake Powell, or Glen Canyon Dam?

And no, i haven't finished last year's trip report from our 10th out west adventure but i will. As usual, the fodor's family helped make it super special and i'm very grateful! Working on this summers trip now and once again, owe soo much to this amazing community of travelers.

Have a great time and i'll be looking forward to your report!!!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
FLmom

We've also booked the afternoon 1/2 day float trip to Glenn Canyon Dam.

Our itinerary is cram-packed as I got a little carried away researching for close to a year in advance. But, DD13 and I have never been out there and we are crazy excited; of course we might completely collapse when we get home, but that's ok with us!

Old May 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
In a month I'm going in the other direction.

I'll be leaving Zion in the morning. Depending on whether or not I got everything done the day before, I might stay an hour or two then leave for the South Rim.

I definitely plan to stop by "The Best Dam View" and Horseshoe Bend. I expect these are quite short detours off the main road.

Antelope Canyon is another issue. If I leave Zion early enough I'll try to include the Upper Canyon. Of the 3, Antelope Canyon appears to be more of a time-consuming production (correct?)

I don't want to get to the South Rim later than 2-3PM as I only have that night and a few hours the next morning.

My interests for the South Rim, I think are quite modest. Several of the Dessert View overlooks on the way in (mid afternoon light), Hopi Point for sunset (staying at Bright Angel Lodge) (leaving more than an hour to get a sunset spot there), Sunrise (not sure where) and then morning light on several Dessert View overlooks on the way out.

Then off to Sedona for its views and some easy hikes.

Any comments or thought would be appreciated.

Old May 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
FLmom

Well, I’m no expert, given that I haven’t been there yet, but this is what I know. Coming from Utah into Arizona you will have to set your watch back, one hour. Timing wise and, I’m guessing, for the 3 activities would be, shortest to longest as follows;

Horseshoe Bend Hike- It's a 3/4 mile hike from the parking area, 4 miles south of Page on 89 to a short blacktop road that goes off to the west.

Tour of Upper Antelope Canyon-Guided tour lasting 1.5 hours, arrive 15 minutes in advance.

½ day float trip to Glenn Canyon Dam- about 6 hours total, the afternoon trip starts at 1:30pm and ends at 6:00pm, they ask that you be there 1 hour in advance of departure.

Hope this helps and that I’ve got the correct information here.