Best time to see Hoodoos in Bryce?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When are the Hoodoos most colorful--sunrise and/or sunset? Some of the pictures I have seen look absolutely incredible. We are planning a 1/2 day horseback ride through Bryce Trail Rides. Any other "must do's" in Bryce? We will be spending two nights in Bryce. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Tweety, I clicked on your post to say "I don't know about 'when' but the best way is by horseback". Glad to see you're one step ahead of me. Have fun.
We did get up at sunrise one morning to view from the edge. My eyes were too blurry from lack of coffee to know if they were neater then or not -- I think they probably were. And they definitely take on some vivid glowing at sunset.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Absolutely, without question, sunrise! Do what you must to get up early. I am a naturally early riser, my wife is not. I dragged her out of bed at Bryce and convinced her to put on a cap (can't go out without fixing ones hair you know). She was and is glad she made the effort.

In 2 days you should be able to see virtually all the sights. Make sure that you make the drive and rim walk at the South end of the park...sorry forget the name.

We did the 2hr horse ride, great! Hopefully you are doing the one in the canyon based near the Lodge.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 04:10 AM

We did both sunrise and sunset - with 2 days you can do both. Added bonus is that during pre-dawn and post-sunset hours you can often see big animals on side of road.

A nice thing about Bryce is that you can walk along edge and then pick up shuttle bus at any one of a number of stops - you are not committed to walking a huge distance. There are several well-marked hiking paths down into hoodoos - also not hugely strenuous - but with these obviously you do need to hike back up.

Eat at Hoodoo Restaurant in Tropic, UT (about a 20 minute drive). I had local trout, simply prepared, that was great.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM

We did the half day horseback ride last year and LOVED it! I would leave early the next day and go to ZION for another horseback ride or some great hiking. Just the drive alone over to Zion is beautiful. Enjoy!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Do BOTH!!! Sunset and sunrise. It is worth it. Sunset is orange and sunrise is golden

Go for the half day mule trip. It was a highlight of our trip. Make sure you do the Navajo trail. I still get goosebumps when I think about those trees inside the canyon!!!

If you want you can click on my name and read my trip report, I have posted up to Bryce Canyon.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I forgot to recommend the ranger-sponsored Ranger program. They bring out the big telescopes and you can see all kinds of star clusters and galaxies. Amazing stuff!!!

My DD (11yr) loved the rodeo at Ruby's.