Suggestions for Zion/Bryce NP

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Zion/Bryce NP

My husband and I will be visiting Zion, Bryce and Las Vegas the end of May. We have reservations at Zion and Bryce, but have a few open dates. Our itinerary is structured around the dates we could get reservations at the Zion and Bryce Lodges. Kindly comment on our itinerary and help us fill in the open dates including the first day we arrive. I was thinking of driving to GC North Rim or Page area the first day, but wonder if driving 4+ hours after a flight from the East coast is going to be too much. We would like to see Grand Canyon North Rim, area around Page (Antelope Canyon and Glen Canyon Dam) and Hoover Dam. We are open to other ideas, too. We enjoy hiking and outdoor activities.

May 20 Arrive in LV about noon. Rent car and drive to ?
May 21-23 Zion NP – 2 nights at Zion NP Lodge; 1 night at Flanigan’s
May 24 ?
May 25 Bryce NP Lodge
May 26-27 Las Vegas
May 28 Flight home (evening)

Has anyone done the canyon trail rides at Bryce or Zion or canyoneering at Zion? Which trip and company did you use? Thanks.

Winnie

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM

If it were me, I'd go on to Bryce on the 24th.

When we were there we really enjoyed taking the Park bus to the end of the line and hiking back along the canyon rim trail. To do that and go down below the rim you'll need a bit more time.

I'm not familiar enough with the area to tell you if your idea for the 20th is reasonable/do-able or not. But others here will be able to give you guidance on that.

I can understand your desire to see as much as you can. We always feel that way when make the long haul out to the Southwest.

Have a great trip.

Fran
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM

It doesn't make sense to go from LV to Page that first day, then backtrack to Zion the very next day, and then go back to Bryce a few days later. If you're going to drive to Page and also see the North Rim, give yourself 2 consecutive nights for that.

Since you don't have 2 consecutive open nights in your itinerary, this is what I'd do: drive to Zion on the 20th and stay through the 22nd, then Page and North Rim the 23rd and 24th with the rest of your itinerary staying the same. May 20 is a Tuesday, so you have a reasonable chance to find lodging in Springdale even at this late date. You'll probably not be able to find anything at Zion Lodge for that night, but I would not completely structure your trip around stays at the Zion/Bryce lodges unless the specific purpose of this trip is to stay at those 2 lodges.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM

did a trail ride at bryce. did the morning ride so it wouldn't be so hot (was there later in the season) it was really enjoyable. i believe we signed up at the park.... sorry don't have a name for you. but take the trail ride at bryce (1/2 day was fine)
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM

I agree you are wandering a bit. How about staying in LV the 1st nt and then head to Zion for 21-22. Or stay in LV for 2 nts, cancel Zion Lodge and stay at Flanigan's for 22/23...I'm just thinking IF you can get these reservations and so you don't have to move ntly OR keep reservations at Zion and hope for 23rd cancellation at Zion and if not, head to Flanigan's. Get a 1-nt reservation on 24th at Ruby's and HOPE you can get and keep calling for cancellation at Bryce for 24 and 25. Instead of LV head to north rim &/or Page for 26/27, then drive - it will be long - back to LV to fly home. All kinds of ways to do this and you may catch a cancellation reservation. Good luck!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I can always count of your folks to put things into perspective and for many great suggestions. So this is what I’ve done:

May 20 Arrive in LV about noon; rent car and drive to Zion. Desert Pearl (I have not been able to get a reservation at Zion NP Lodge.)
May 21-22: Zion NP Lodge (2 nights)
May 23: Currently booked at Flanigan’s (1 night), but will likely change this.
May 24: Bryce - Ruby’s Inn (1 night)
May 25 Bryce NP Lodge (1 night)
May 26-27 Las Vegas (2 nights)
May 28 Flight home

BibE, We are taking your advice and will drive to Zion the first day. We will be at the Desert Pearl and will have a chance to relax and unwind after the long flight from the East coast. We will move to Zion NP Lodge the next morning (early) even if we cannot check in; sign-up for activities; make dinner reservations (Do I need to make these well in advance?); ride the shuttle and hike. Floridafran, how far did you hike on the canyon rim trail?

I still have the reservations at Flanigan’s, but will likely cancel. Any suggestions on where to go what to see before we drive to Bryce; perhaps the area between Cedar City and Long Valley Junction; or around Kolob Canyons (Kolob Arch)? Antelope Canyon and Glen Canyon Dam are realistically too far for one night. Momof3boys, we added a day at Bryce and will stay at Ruby’s on the 24th. I am checking regularly for a second night at Bryce Canyon Lodge and am hoping to get someone’s cancellation. Plan to take a trail ride. Thanks for the information on the ½ day ride justme22. Is morning or afternoon better in late May?

We want to spend two nights in Las Vegas at the end of our trip. Accommodations are less expensive after Memorial day weekend and one of the shows we want to see, Le Reve, has performances only on Monday (26th). Thanks everyone!

Old May 5th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure I can exactly follow your itinerary. And I wouldn't normally suggest this.

However, if you have a free day some where either between Zion & Bryce you might consider the Page area.

Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and the Best Dam View, are just outside of Page, spectacular and worth some effort.

It's 2 hours from Springdale to Page but you only backtrack 1 1/2 hours on the way back to Bryce.

It's a bit of a drive going there and back. But if that's your opportunity to see those sights, I might consider it.

Just make sure you're not driving up 89 towards Bryce in the dark as animals wander on the road at night.

Old May 5th, 2008, 04:20 AM

We are doing a similar trip that week. For the day between Zion and Bryce, we are heading to Page. We plan to leave Zion and take 89A, more scenic route (hoping to see Antelope Slot Cyn, Dam, Horseshoe Bend, etc., as that trip from Zion is about 120 miles. (AZ time an hour behind UT) We plan to stay at the Lake Powell resort and take the 9 a.m. Navajo Tapestry Cruise from the marina the next morning, 3 hrs.

After the cruise, we plan to drive 89, the more direct route to Bryce overnight at Ruby's Inn. It's about 156 mles from Page - less than 3 hours, except the time changes ahead one hour in UT. We plan to see the sunset and sunrise. Then the next day we plan to spend the day at Bryce.

Enjoy!
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Flimm,

So maybe my suggestion of going near Page isn't as dumb as I thought at first.

After having been to Bryce, I can suggest a really efficient visit.

Sunset along the Rim at Sunset Point. Not far from the Lodge.
Sunrise at Bryce Point. Not far from the Lodge. ake with a sweater as the viewpoint could be cold and windy.
Inspiration Point viewpoint. Not far from the Lodge and a bit different.
Natural Bridge viewpoint in the afternoon (as the sun is in your eyes in the AM) The only really different viewpoint.
Hike Navajo Loop down and Queen's Garden back up. A fairly easy hike that gets you down into the hoodoos. You go down from Sunset Point and come up at Sunrise Point. That's about 1/2 mile from Sunset Point where you probably left the car. A nice walk on the Rim.

In Page. If at all possible, take a tripod to Antelope Canyon. You really can't get good shots hand help. My exposures where anywhere from 6 to 10 seconds.
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Myer

Thanks for suggestions for Bryce, as that is somewhat of a blank page in my notebook until now. By reading thdxd forums, we seem to get all the pieces to "fit in the puzzle".
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Flimm,

I should mention. "By not far from the Loadge" doesn't mean within walking distance.

Sunset & Sunrise points may be within walking distance depending where you are staying.

Bryce Pt, Inspiration Pt & Natural bridge require auto or shuttle.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM

"I still have the reservations at Flanigan’s, but will likely cancel. Any suggestions on where to go what to see before we drive to Bryce; perhaps the area between Cedar City and Long Valley Junction; or around Kolob Canyons (Kolob Arch)? Antelope Canyon and Glen Canyon Dam are realistically too far for one night. Momof3boys, we added a day at Bryce and will stay at Ruby’s on the 24th."

Typically people allot 1 day/night to Bryce and 2 days/nights to Zion. Your itinerary has 2 nights at Bryce and 3 at Zion (possibly 4 unless you cancel Flanigans). The 3 nights at Zion are OK as you'll be relaxing that first day after your flight. But if you could skip that first night at Bryce you'd give yourself 2 day/nights for Page and the North Rim. I would agree with Myer that you 1 day/night is fine for the Page area, but since you also want to see the North Rim that is probably pushing it a bit too much.

To answer question about what to do before Bryce (if you keep your itinerary as posted): Kolob Canyon section has some good hikes. I've only done the Taylor Creek trail to Double Arch Alcove. The hike to Kolob Arch is a different trail and takes about twice as long (8 hours roundtrip). From what I've heard that trail isn't real interested for most of the way.

Between Cedar City and Long Valley is Cedar Breaks National Monument, but it may or may not be open. I think they try to get the road opened by Memorial Day weekend, so you'd have to check with them. There are some Dixie National Forest trails in that area, not as well marked or travelled as in the parks though. Otherwise I'm drawing a bit of a blank as to what could occupy you for a day there - probably Kolob Canyon is your best bet, then overnight in Cedar City and make a relatively quick stop at Cedar Breaks (if it's open) on your way to Bryce. Just a little ways before Bryce you'll go through Red Canyon which has a number of hiking trails.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Winnie:

Not to put a crimp in the plans, and as much as I love Desert Pearl I would consider spending that first night in Vegas.

Altho you get in noon Vegas time, if you are an east coaster that is probably 3 p.m. est. By the time you get luggage, get the rental car and hit the road it will easily be an hour later. Me personally, by that time I was wiped and happy to be checking into a room, walking, taking a nap by the pool and heading out for some dinner.

We started out fresh in the morning.

Just my thoughts. If I remember correctly the drive to Zion was 3 hours.

Can you shave a night off on the backend of the trip from the two nights in Vegas?

Enjoy the trip.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:27 AM

Last year (beginning of June) I arrived in Las Vegas about 2:40PM.

I was surprised how long it took to get my luggage and the car. It was 4PM before I got out of the airport.

I drove thru Zion and on to Bryce Canyon (stayed in Zion after Bryce on the way to GC).

Had I not stopped for photos en route, I would have gotten to Bryce just before dark.

When I passed thru Zion it was still quite early and sunny.

I would definitely leave Las Vegas immediately and get to Zion. Not much than an easy 3 hour drive.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Never been to Bryce, but I love Zion. I've stayed a few times at the Desert Pearl, and I absolutely LOVE it. Not sure if the website does it justice, but it is an absolutely lovely place to stay.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM

If you get a chance to do canyoneering, go for it. Very cool experience. Only scary at first.