Honeymoon- Maui or Kauai?

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon- Maui or Kauai?

My fiancé and I (both 24 years old) are in the preliminary stages of planning our honeymoon to Hawaii next August. Should we spend our first 7 nights in Maui or Kauai? (The last 3 or 4 will be in Oahu)- We would be staying at a Marriott resort on either island (through a timeshare).
We want a romantic and relaxing vacation but also want to be able to have some fun with day and night activities. We’re also wondering if the weather is better on either island in early August. We are looking to have the best time possible on our honeymoon- any suggestions as to which island would be better for us???? Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Of the two, Maui would be my first choice.

But, if you have ten days, make it 5 on Maui, 5 on Oahu because Oahu has far more things to do that any other island.

Great Maui website: www.mauihawaii.com

This thread has a lot of info for Oahu. Most of the websites are good for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:14 PM

The website for Maui is:

www.mauihawaii.org
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:41 AM

Maui is wonderful.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:16 AM

i think i'm the only person in the world who didn't think maui was the end-all, be-all. perhaps it's where we stayed...Ritz Carlton, up north of lahaina? i don't know i just didn't think it was so wonderful, i didn't like having to get in the car adn drive all over to get to things...we stayed at Kona Village for the first 5 nights of our honeymoon and much preferred that.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I agree with Dusty that you should spend a few more days on Oahu. Neither Maui or Kauai has very much night activites, but of the 2, Maui might have a bit more. My vote is for Maui as well. Depending on which part of the island you stay on (most likely your budget will determine that), you do have to drive to get to things.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

We would be staying at the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club in Lahaina if we go to Maui. If we go to Kauai we would have to choose between Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club or Marriott's Kauai Beach Club (on Kalapaki Beach). Do any of these hotels change anything? Has anyone stayed at any of them?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:47 AM

If you're staying in Lahaina, that's where most of the nightlife is. We've stayed at the Kauai Marriot Beach Club before. VERY nice hotel! Somewhat isolated, but then again, most of the hotels on Kauai are!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM
MMN

Went to Kauai, Maui & Oahu for my honeymoon in late July/early August 2002. Kauai was our favorite by far. If we went back, that is the one I would return to. Peaceful, beautiful, yet plenty to do. (Drives to scenic beaches where movies were filmed, snorkeling right on the beach, snorkel trips, helicopter rides, horseback riding on the beach, golf, kayaking, waterfalls, etc)
Marriott Lihue was great (didn't have the other one at that time). We just visited it & had dinner at Duke's which was a blast. From that location you can explore both the North and the South shores of the island.
Personally, I agree with your 3 or 4 days on Oahu - I think that's enough. But we found it too busy there. We're from NYC so wanted more serenity than city-life.
Maui was in between both. We stayed in Wailea and it was gorgeous. Lahaina area again seemed too crowded for us and there was a lot of construction on Maui which sort of spoiled the tropical mood for me.