25th Anniversary: Oahu or Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to either Oahu or Maui in October for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have already been to Kauai with our 3 children. What island would you reccomend? Also, where would you reccomend that we stay? Since it is just the two of us we have a little more money to spend.I know I want an ocean front room and a nice pool. I dont want to deal with construction going on in the hotel.
If we dont rent a car how do we get to and from the airport? Are taxis readily available? Thank you for any input.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM

We celebrated our 25th on Maui. We've been back 4 times, and our oldest daughter was married there last May. We absolutely love the Napili area. We stayed at the Napili Kai Beach Resort. You just can't beat the view. We've stayed on the south side on one trip, but, it didn't compare to Napili. They have a wonderful restaurant/bar right on the water. You will definitely need to rent a car. We are going to Kauai for the first time in Sept. Hope we enjoy it as much. Mahalo
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

I to, debated on Oahu or Maui for our 25th Anniversary, a couple years ago. We decided on Maui, and I'm so glad we did. It was a wonderful romantic place to go. We split up our time between the Kaanapali area and the Wailea area. We stayed at the Sheraton on Kaanapali beach, and they upgraded our room just because it was our anniversary to oceanfront. It was amazing! Then we stayed that last four nights at the Maui Prince in Wailea, in an oceanfront room. That too, was wonderful. We left our screen open at night and you could hear the surf and awake to the sound of birds in the morning. We toured the Grand Wailea while there and it was amazing, if you can afford it. We were on more of a budget that $400 per night, yet we loved the places we stayed. We ate dinner at Mama's Fish House, and it was probably the most romantic dinner and atmosphere we've ever had. The waterfalls and the beaches were beautiful. I don't think you would be disappointed in Maui! I've heard people being disappointed in Oahu, because there are so many people, and they said it was more of an adventure, not a romantic place to spend an anniversary. Try to rent a car as there are so many places to visit whether you are on Oahu or Maui and would need a car. Maui hotels tend to really pamper you if you are celebrating an anniversary, just let them know when you check in. We received complimentary upgrades, comp bottle of champagne at one hotel and courtesy basket of goods and wine at the other. Have a great time!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM

No recommendation really, as I prefer a different island than your two options. But I wanted to caution you away from the Kihei area... Very very crowded and noisy...we really didn't enjoy the latter half of our Maui trip because we stayed in this area.

Lahaina was nice and the drive over the top was fun - I wish we'd stayed in Ka'anapali or Napili after seeing those areas. (The first half we stayed in Kipahulu, past Hana - that was PURE HEAVEN.)

I've only been to Oahu for a short trip - the north shore was fantastic (near Shark's Cove). No hotel recs though, as I camped.

If you don't rent a car though, neither of these suggestions will work... Without a car I think you'd have to stay in Honolulu on Oahu... I don't think not having a car would work on Maui.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:04 AM

Between Oahu and Maui for a 25th anniversary, I would choose Maui. I've been to both (and also the Big Island and Kauai).

If you loved Kauai, you would also love the Big Island. My husband and I went there for our 25th anniversary this past October for 10 nights, and it's now our favorite, along with Kauai.

But we also love Maui, and there are lots of luxurious resorts and nice restaurants there.

In my opinion, Oahu seems too busy to be romantic. If you did go there, the JW Marriott Ihalini Resort was very nice, but it's far away from Waikiki Beach.

Have fun choosing!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:25 AM

Maui! My hubby and I also celebrated our 25th anniversary in Hawaii (in September) and had to struggle with the decision of where to stay. Hawaii is just heavenly! We chose Maui and the Big Island. Our survey (of previous travellers) at that time led us to believe that Oahu is very congested. Maui is so romantic and lovely. I would also recommend the Kaanapali area, although I don't recall our hotel name. You will definately be able to arrange an ocean front room and should do that. I don't know about not renting a car. We didn't pay attention to public transportation and can't imagine not having an auto for yourself. If however, that is not an option for the two of you, check w/the hotel for a shuttle service.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If not renting a car is a for-sure, I think Oahu is a much more logical choice. You can easily spend a week in Honolulu/Waikiki getting around by taxi, bus, or on foot.

This would not be practical on Maui imo.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

I would definitely recommend Maui; we went there for our honeymoon, and to me, it's really pretty and romantic. It offers a lot of activities like Haleakala, the road to Hana, old Lahaina Luau, snorkelling at Molokini, etc. My husband is not big on driving on vacation, but we drove all over Maui. Personally I wouldn't go there without renting a car - just gives you so much more mobility and freedom.

We stayed in the Wailea area, and we loved it. It has great weather and is pretty upscale - a great place to spend an anniversary. Oahu has a lot to offer, but it has more of a big city feel to us. We also loved the BI and Kauai, but between your two choices, I'd say Maui all the way.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

We loved The Palms at Wailea, Maui. A condo located up on a bluff with a nice pool. Best golfing area on Maui.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I also would recommend Maui for an anniversary trip!! I think it is the more romantic of the two islands. That said, you need to rent a car to do it justice is all.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Maui is the second largest island in the Hawaiian chain, so getting around with no car is not recommended.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. It looks like Maui is the place to go. I would definetly rent a car there. I was leery of renting one in Oahu because I read in previous posts that the hotels charge alot to park your car.
Is the road to Hana difficult to drive? About how long does it take to drive back and forth?. Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful information.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM

Choose Maui over Oahu for a lot of reasons, but not hotel parking. IMO you aren't going to find any differences between the two (regarding hotel parking). Resorts and hotels charge parking. Condos, motels and B&B usually don't.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM

We thought the road to Hana was definitely worth doing; we got amazing pictures on that drive. We stopped a lot at all the scenic spots, and it took us the entire day. We didn't get back until after dark which was a bit of an adventure since we had to drive across some one-lane bridges, but we are so glad we did it.

A friend of mine gave us a cassette that narrates the entire drive, and that made it really easy. It would say, "Look to your left and you'll see such and such waterfall, etc." Pretty neat, and I would think you'd be able to find them online or in some of the giftshops on the island.

We stayed at the Renaissance in Wailea - it's not as over the top as some other resorts in the area, but we loved it and were able to snorkel right off the beach.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM

Oahu is fine with a car as long as you are not staying in Waikiki.

Unless you absolutely want a hotel and if you are staying a week or more, get a condo or vacation rental. They are much bigger, usually come fully equipped with beach towels, boogie boards, umbrellas, etc. You dont have to cook there but you can save a lot on breakfasts, snacks, picnic lunches, etc.

On Maui there are incredible vacation rentals right on the beach at Napili Bay. No hotel will get you closer to the water and you don't have to tip everyone. There's other areas on Maui too but Napili is very special and fairly reasonable.

If a hotel is your dream vacation, there are great ones on all the islands. Here's a couple of personal favorites for special occasions which don't have the big hotel feel about them.

If you don't want to do anything but stay on the beach (or golf) and don't want to rent a car or worry about anything and have a great hotel experience, try the Manele Bay Hotel on Lanai. It's consistently rated one of the best in the world on Conde Nast. But, there is absolutely nothing else to do there except hike and 4 wheel drive to secluded beaches. I would only stay there if I was celebrating a major anniversary or birthday or honeymooning etc.

Another great choice if you want to get away from it all and stay in one place is the Hana Maui Hotel. There are also awesome vacation rentals there but only the Hana Maui is right on the sea coast.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM

check out my blog:

http://idealinternet.blogspot.com/20...-vacation.html

i have tons of ideas!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM

If you'll start really early in the morning (6 or so) to drive to Hana, you'll be ahead of some of the crowds. The road gets pretty crowded later in the day. We've done it twice, and we're usually back at our hotel by evening. I'd love to spend a couple of nights in Hana, but we haven't had a chance to do that yet.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM

We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in April on Maui (4 days) and Oahu (3 days). I would definitely suggest Maui, however, I would suggest a day in Oahu to see Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and the Punch Bowl if you haven't already done that. Also in the north shore and areas to the west there are some nice beaches that are fairly secluded. No matter where you go, you are in for a treat. I still cannot believe how romantic our trip was. We stayed at the Sheraton Maui and were upgraded to an oceanview room from a garden view room. We also received a complimentary bottle of champagne with two glasses. The resort is nice (they do charge a resort fee of $18.00 which covers internet, parking and I'm not sure what else) and the beach is awesome. Have a great time.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I vote for neither. We spent our 20th Anniversary in Hawaii - a week on Maui at the Four Seasons - WOW!, and a week on Hawaii at the Kona Village Resort - my absolute favorite place to stay - anywhere! Kona Village Resort rooms are actually "huts". The food was included and was incredible! It was so romantic and there is so much to do on that Island... hiking trips, driving trips, the volcano. I would stay away from Oahu - unless you just really have to see Pearl Harbor.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM

If you are fine with renting a car, Maui.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -