hollywood with teens

Oct 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

hollywood with teens

Does anyone have any advise for traveling to Hollywood during the Christmas break with 3 girls-16,14,&11? They are enamored with the thoughts of Hollywood and we would like for them to get a real taste of that area. Places to stay, eat, see? Thanks much!
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Where to start...?

First of all, what exactly about "Hollywood" interests your girls? Movie stars, film production, history, what?

Second, what do you know about the greater Los Angeles area? "Hollywood" is literally just a neighborhood in LA-- a pretty gritty one at that. Happily, it's cleaning up its act so that it's a real destination where you can stay and play safely. But the ritzy places outsiders see on TV-- the huge houses on palm-lined boulevards, the beachfront Moderne pads with patios on the sand-- are in other municipalities, often dozens of miles away.

Third, December is wintertime. The weather can be very unpredictable in winter in southern California. Current predictions are mild with moderate rainfall, but it probably won't be suntans and surfing in bikinis weather. You can surf-- but you'll definitely need a wetsuit.

Places to stay, eat, see? The greater LA area sprawls over two counties with a combined area of 4,800 square miles. Thousands of things to see. Thousands of places to eat. Lodging? I imagine the girls have visions of Glamor and Stardust-- look for hotels in the Beverly Hills area. If the weather were more predictably gorgeous, I'd suggest good ol' Santa Monica, since it's on the coast.

Depending on the weather, a lot of location filming goes on from August to March or April in the greater LA area, so it's a good way to get a behind-the-scene view of the work that goes on-- and you appreciate the boredom of the "hurry-up-and-wait" aspect of show business. And you might also try to attend a TV show taping (can be tough for kids under 16, however).
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM

They may want to go out on their own, bug do NOT leave them alone. While the whole of LA county is relatively safe, there are plenty of preditors who prey on naive young girls. Make sure you go with them.
As far as what to do... search the posts on this site for ideas first. ONce you have some ideas, resubmit your questions with more detail and have people help you with either more ideas, or to help pare down your list. I can think of 20 ideas off the top of my head - so I need to know what you're looking for first.
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

El Capitan theater--Disney movies and a floor show-great 1920s )?) era theater.

Plenty of bus tours of Hollywood. Most leave from the Grauman's Chinese theater area.

Grauman's theater--footprints, grand movie screen

You can see the Hollywood sign really well from the courtyard of the Hollywood/Highland shopping complex. There are plenty of restuarants in there as well.

Hollywood is cleaning-up its act slowly but surely. Have a good time.

YOU might want to sip a martini at Musso and Frank's-oldest restaurant in Hollywood.
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Take them on a studio tour. Warner Brothers is the best, in my opinion.
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Universal Hilton or Sheraton is probably the best place to stay, though I'm not sure they have rooms that hold 5 persons. Things do fill up in the area over New Years so I'd book something soon if New Years is in your plans.
Oct 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Tess

I would stay at the Marriott Renaissance--it's on Hollywood Blvd. and is actually connected to the Kodak Theater, where the Oscars are held (the theater offers tours, but I haven't taken one). It's part of the Hollywood and Highlands shopping area--some great stores and restaurants, including a Wolfgang Puck restaurant.

The Renaissance is decorated in a retro style that teens love and the rooftop pool will be a hit, if the weather cooperates. We stayed there in January and it was hot enough to swim--it all just depends. We could see the Hollywood sign from our room. The area is fun and MUCH nicer than it used to be (similar to the cleaning up of Times Square)--your girls will probably love the souvenir shops on H. Blvd.

Jimmy Kimmel's show is taped across the street at El Capitan and the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is also across the street (supposedly an 'it' spot for the younger Hollywood actor set). Ask the person in the gift shop to show you the haunted mirror

Definitely take a tour--Starline is a reputable company and has tours that leave from Graumann's Chinese Theater (just down the street). They use a comfy van and take you through Hollywood and Beverly Hills. VERY fun and campy.

Shopping on Melrose Ave. is a must for teen girls--it's close to the Renaissance. Oh, also check seeingstars.com. They list upcoming dates for star ceremonies (unveilings) on Hollywood Blvd.

Santa Monica is a little drive but the girls would enjoy the 3rd Street Promenade--lots of shopping and celebrity sightings. It's especially fun at night. During the day, walk from the Santa Monica Beach (start at Le Merigot or Shutters area) to Venice Beach along the ocean boardwalk. You'll pass Muscle Beach, entertainers, souvenirish type places, etc. Very entertaining. One of the little beach shacks (probably several) sells fake designer purses, wallets, etc. I bought my teen daughter a faux Dooney and Burke purse there last month--I know it's bad to do and I'll probably get flamed for admitting it but gosh, it's a cute purse.

Have a great time--Hollywood and the LA area is the perfect family vacation spot!

Oct 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your responses. I think that the girls are most likely into the stars, their homes, the glitz and glam, and hot spots to eat and shop. Is the Beverly Hills Hotel a good place to stay?
Oct 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM
MaureenB

I recommend you visit Hollywood, but not stay there. It's more glitzy and glamorous in BelAir. If you can afford the Beverly Hills Hotel, I'd go for it.

You might try getting free tickets to Jay Leno, or another show like that. Many have minimum ages of 18, and they do check IDs (at least at Leno, they do). I believe Jimmy Kimmel's show is 18 only. It's fun to be in the audience, especially if the guest is someone you're interested in. You can check it out on-line. It does eat up the better part of a day, though, as there's a lot of standing in line involved.

Take the girls to see Rodeo Drive, Spago, etc. Also UCLA and Westwood areas are fun.
>-