Search

Hotel in LA Area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in LA Area

I will be staying in the LA area for 3 nights at the beginning of September. I have started looking at hotels and they seem to range a lot in price (from $81-300+)

I think I want to stay in the Hollywood (West Hollywood?) area to be close to many things. I know that some areas of LA can be a little nicer than others and I am just a little nervous of ending up in a really bad area.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything around $150 or so a night (or less) would be a good price range for me.

I found a Ramada 2 block from Sunset blvd that was reasonably priced, how is that location?

We are 2 young adults.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Hollywood and West Hollywood are two completely different areas of the greater Los Angeles area. West Hollywood, for one thing, is a separate city (Hollywood is a neighborhood of Los Angeles itself).

None of the Ramadas in the greater LA area is in a great location-- each one has serious drawbacks. The West Hollywood one, for example, is badly dated and in serious need of a renovation (according to a buddy who stayed there). The one you seem to be mentioning is the one in Hollywood itself-- on Vermont. Not too far from things, but nothing really close either.

What are you planning to do once you're in this area? It's a huge place, and you're unfortunately looking at an expensive time (this area is not cheap). But depending on your interests, you might want to look in other cities or neighborhoods (say, Westwood near UCLA or Hermosa Beach).
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Depends on what you plan to do and whether or not you'll have a car.....but SunsetPlazaHotel is always a decent choice, further west near UCLA I often recommend HilgardHouse.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Tracy gives two solid, reasonable choices (you do mean the Best Western Sunset Plaza, right?). Since the Standard on Sunset is creeping past its Use By date (it's no longer as chic and vogue as it was, say, four years ago), you might catch a special there. But I repeat: The first part of September will not yield many cheap hotel rooms.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I have been reading on LA but find all of the areas confusing, so thank you for the clarifiation!

We will have a car and know that parking rate will be 25+/night. We plan on spending a lot of time doing the typical touristy stuff - tour of stars homes, walk of fame, the Graumans(?) chinese theatre, WB studio tour, rodeo drive etc. etc, but will have the car to do other stuff outside of this (Santa Monica etc.) We wanted to be as close as possible to as much of this. Taking subway, taxi if needed is fine.

I was in LA on business a few years back and stayed near the Staples Center and took the subway to the Chinese theatre area and I was hoping to be closer than that.

I will check out some of the recommendations, thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM

check www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The Renaissance is very centrally located in Hollywood, walking distance to Grauman's, Kodak, subway/buses. And close to the Sunset Strip area.
Go to:
hollywoodandhighland.com
Click on "STAY"
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm writing this using the (free) wireless access at the Residence Inn on Beverly Drive (nr Pico) 3 min. south of Wilshire/Rodeo. I believe our rate is around $120 which includes a kitchenette and hot breakfast. Been here 2 hours and have a new default hotel of choice in BH.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Meant to mention that our future in-laws (future meaning as of Sunday - our son/their daughter getting married) - are staying at the Ramada on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood and pronounce it recently remodeled, affordable, and very comfortable. Both our place and theirs are very well located.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM

Good to hear about the update on the WeHo Ramada. That Residence Inn is one I'm not familiar with-- but I'm sure I've driven by many times. Again-- nice to hear the good review!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM

Check Trip Advisor for the Ramada WeHo reviews. I've stayed there a few times due to the convenient location for taking care of some business in the area, but it is a pit. And according to the recent reviews, it's still a pit although the restrooms appear to have been re-done. Their walls are paper thin. I'd recommend you look somewhere else.

I know I'll never stay there again.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:55 AM

Recent reviews for Ramada West Hollywood on Expedia seem to be pretty good. A solid 3 stars. However there is mention of a $25 per night parking fee which is pretty steep.