Comments on Culver Hotel in LA Please

Mar 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
2d
Original Poster

Comments on Culver Hotel in LA Please

We booked a three night stay at this hotel for the end of March. We wanted to stay in something other than a "formula" hotel. Would appreciate any feedback we can get from those of you who have stayed at the Culver within the last few months. We are finding mixed reviews on this hotel. Is there another hotel in the $175 - $200 price range that you would recommend over the Culver?
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM

I don't have specific feedback on the hotel itself, but my question is: What are your plans in the LA area? Do you have business in Culver City? Would you entertain staying in another part of the greater LA area?

How about the Georgian in Santa Monica? Or the Farmer's Daughter in West Hollywood?
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM
2d
Original Poster

We are staying at the Culver because it is seems to be centrally located. We are planning on spending time at the Getty, the "miracle mile", Pasadena, downtown, etc.
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM

I wouldn't consider Culver City "centrally located"-- it's well south of most of those things. There's a Best Western on Sunset Blvd. that would be fun and a bit more in the middle of everything. Or, for that matter, the Standard on Sunset; a little past its "Use By" date, but still kind of cool.
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM

You know, there are several posters who live on the Westside of LA who should be able to give good advice concerning this area. I'm going to top this one last time to send out their Batsignal...!
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM

I've heard that the Culver is okay. You'll have a car, right? Check the rates at the Hotel Angeleno.
Take a look at GroveGuesthouse.com
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Wm

Well, we changed our reservation to the Georgian in Santa Monica. We are spending quite a bit more, but decided that staying on the beach with all the good stuff Santa Monica has to offer (after checking it out in a tour book), we feel we made the right decision. Thanks to all of you for your feedback--once again Fodorites to the rescue!
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I live in Culver City and have had a friend stay at that hotel. It is good for the price. Chaplin used to own it and it is most well known for the bachanal that ensued when 4 munchkins to a room stayed there during the filming of Wizard of Oz. That said...I think you made the right decision for what you wanted to do in LA.