Moving to LA -- need hotel for first visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are relocating to LA due to job change and know nothing about the city. We're headed down for our first visit, staying on a Saturday night and checking out neighborhoods during the day to see where we'll want to live. From what we've heard, we think we may be suited for the Silver Lake or Los Feliz areas. We like nice residential areas that are close enough to walk to funky restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Don't necessarily need wild nightlife.

We'd love to stay in a hotel in an area like this to try to sample a neighborhood. Any suggestions??
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
dmlove

In LA as much or more than any other city in the US, it's important to know where the job will be before you choose where to live (downtown? west side? valley? etc.) Have you taken that into account already in deciding that Silver Lake or Los Feliz might be your cup of tea?

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes - the job will be in West Hollywood (near Vine and Hollywood Blvd). It is our understanding that these areas are fairly close, would you agree?
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

I should add that I realize they are close on a map, but my understanding is that even going a few miles in LA can take a loooong time. We want to minimize the commute as much as possible but also enjoy where we live.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park etc used to be nice residential neighborhoods, but L.A. has become such a zoo in the past 20-odd years, you might be in for a lot more 'funk' than you anticipated. Traffic in these areas today (like the rest of the L.A. basin) is simply horrible. To escape it you'll need to do what everyone else does: commute.

As for hotels, other than the Omni (in Downtown L.A.) I wouldn't recommend anything in that part of the city.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM

How about the Chateau Marmont or Le Montrose Suite in West Hollywood.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Mel

Sorry, no specific suggestions for you, but you are right to consider the commute. West Hollywood is "west side" and the neighborhoods you mention are "east side." Also W. Hollywood is not easily accessible via a freeway. Of the neighborhoods you mentioned Los Feliz would probably be the easiest. It's also more gentrified and wealthy. I lived there about 6 months before I bought a house in Eagle Rock (also a great hipster neighborhood, but you don't want to go east of the 5 freeway if you're commuting to W. Hollywood).

Anyway, I can't recall there being any hotels right there. Hollywood is in between the areas though and if you don't mind some grittiness, it's an okay place to stay. Great farmer's market on Sundays there! Downtown is very close to those neighborhoods, and getting between the 2 areas shouldn't be a big problem on a weekend, but you won't get much neighborhood vibe there. Andrew's suggestion of a hotel in W. Hollywood is a good one (there are many nice places), as you could easily branch out from there to check out nearby residential neighborhoods.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
lvk

Just a clarification, Hollywood & Vine is not in West Hollywood, it is right smack in Hollywood.

I would choose a hotel in West Hollywood, such as the Standard, Mondrian or others mentioned above, then visit the residential neighborhoods you think you would like.

Also, the Fairfax area near the Grove/Farmer's Market might work for you. The Farmer's Daughter hotel is near there.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Mel

Good catch lvk! I totally missed the cross streets - the intersection of Hollywod and Vine is indeed the heart of Hollywood. A much easier commute from an east side neighborhood too.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Park Plaza Lodge Hotel is near Park LaBrea, a residential area very convenient to the job that you may want to check out.
West Hollywood to Los Feliz isn't a bad commute, Silverlake is a bit worse. Silverlake also borders some iffy areas so don't wander too far at night until you've gotten your bearings!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And now for something completely different: North Hollywood, which is three stops from Hollywood & Vine on the Red Line Metro.

Read about the NoHo Arts District:

http://www.nohoartsdistrict.com/
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM

A place to see a show or have a meal? North Hollywood? Maybe. But as a place to STAY while checking out L.A. for the first time, no way!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Well, I was also thinking about a neighborhood for them to check out. I don't think they should limit themselves to Los Feliz and Silver Lake, but it was just a suggestion.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
dmlove

You mean North Hollywood, as in the San Fernando Valley? Don't think that's what the OP is looking for!

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
lvk

In addition to asking for a place to stay for this trip, I believe that the OP asked for suggestions of neighborhoods with funky restaurants and shops that are an easy commute to Hollywood and Vine. The NoHo arts district meets those requirements, IMHO.

Here's an idea: How about reading through the whole post, trying to be helpful to the OP, instead of criticizing other posters suggestions?

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM

This map from CD 4 might help with your search.

http://www.tomlabonge.com/map/

Don't over look the area around Larchmont Village/Hancock Park/Windsor Square.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Good one lvk. Criticize me for my post and tell me not to criticize people?

Jean should have clarified what part of the post she was responding to. Her link includes information on a motel in the area. It would not necessarily be clear to the OP that Jean was only recommending the area as a place to visit.

The OP's main request was for suggestions on where to stay.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM
lvk

My first post clarifies the location of the OP's work address and suggests another neighborhood to check out.

The first paragraph of my 2nd post gives reasons why Jean's suggestion of NoHo is viable.

What exactly did you offer the OP?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Joesorce, I don't know what you looked at when you clicked on the link I mentioned, but the website is for an entire area/neighborhood and all that it offers. Theaters, music, restaurants, not just a motel.

I also got the impression the OP was asking for ideas of "residential areas that are close enough to walk to funky restaurants" and a hotel in "an area like this to try to sample a neighborhood."

Dmlove, since the OP isn't familiar with L.A. or the S.F.V., why should a place like NoHo not be mentioned? It's close to the job (esp. by the Red Line) and a great neighborhood.

BTW, I also like the suggestion of Larchmont Village/Windsor Square. A great area, closer to museums and Melrose/Robertson dining/shopping.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Hi KMeddy--if the job is in West Hollywood, is there any reason you are not looking to live there? I have a 20 something son, and he and his GF often go to the restaurants. etc in that neighborhood. Here is one hotel that looks like an interesting place to stay in that general area.

www.palihouse.com