Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which area of LA would you recommend for 2-3 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We have 2-3 days in LA before we drive up to San Francisco for another couple of days in February. What are would you recommend...Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc..? Are these areas close to each other so that if we stay in one, we can visit another? We'll have such a short time there and would like to be close to some of the things we might do. We'd like to take a studio tour, check out the usual touristy movie stuff, do some shopping, eat at great restaurants, and just have a fun "LA experience". Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:22 AM

The three areas you mention are close to each other. I would choose a hotel in the Beverly Hills or Hollywood area since it is more centrally located to do the activities you mention. But you can easily drive to Santa Monica too. Many of the studios are located in Burbank which is a short drive from Hollywood. I know there have been recent discussions on hotels in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area. Do a search for more info. Good luck!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM

The three cities you mention (BH, SM, the Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles) are not far from each other, that's true. But of the three, Hollywood is the one where you have to be most careful in choice of lodging. I'd personally only recommend a couple of hotels in that area: the Renaissance and (for history mostly) the Hollywood Roosevelt. Beverly Hills and the adjacent city of West Hollywood have a large number of hotel choices, from super high-end (BIG bling-bling and attitude) to reasonable to dumps. But you have more options. Santa Monica is on the coast, and notably expensive for what you get in a hotel.

Given your priorities vis-à-vis sightseeing, I think your best bet is BH/WH. Name your price and you can get some suggestions here.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful responses! What is the weather like in LA in February? I think we would stay closer to the beach if it were beach weather, but I'm assuming it won't be at that time of the year. Also, with such a short period, it seems like Beverly Hills or Hollywood would be the best bet for sightseeing. I have looked into both the Renaissance and the Roosevelt already...would anyone recommend any other hotels in either Hollywood, B. Hills, or S. Monica for under $200 night (preferably with a pool!) THanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to visit on the weekend when the traffic is way down. SunsetPlazaHotel is perfectly located if you don't mind a smallish room. The Renaissance is nice because you can just hop the subway back & forth to Univ Studios.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM

clark's recommendation of the Best Western Sunset Plaza is a good one. It's easily the nicest property in the BW franchise chain, and it's in a great location on Sunset Blvd. All the attractions will be a short drive away.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM

In BH there is the Beverly Hilton. If you check for various association prices, AAA, Mileage Plus, etc., you might find a rate within your $200 price range. Great heated pool there with crystal clear water, perfect for February, also a good location. There is also a Doubletree near Westwood which might fit into your budget.