Hilton Head vs. Myrtle Beach

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:39 PM
montysgrl

Hilton Head vs. Myrtle Beach

We are planning our summer vacation Aug '02. We are trying to decide btw. Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. We have two children 13 and 7. We will be driving from Maine. Any suggestions? Which would be a nicer family vacation?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Theresaq

I have been to both numerous times as I used to live in the Carolinas. Myrtle is much more crowded and has the kid entertainment of several amusement park areas, lots of putt putt and many of the hotels have water slides, etc. Staying slightly out of the main area provides for a much more relaxing time.
Hilton Head of more upscale. Most of the retail signs are hidden and it can be tricky to get around at night but is a very nice place. My guess, based on what my children have said, they will enjoy Myrtle Beach more. I personally like the Outer Banks of N.C.

Theresa

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:04 AM
nina

Hilton Head is more upscale and prettier, with nicer resorts, however, unless you are a golfer, you may be bored silly. There really isn't anything of interest other than beach and golf.

While MB is crowded, much more low-brow, it has many more activites for kids. Also, there are a few nice resorts with waterparks, like Kingston Plantation.

Why not spend a few days at both places, and make sure you visit Charleston, which is the very best spot of all in the area, IMO? That way you get a little taste of beautiful architecture and fine dining as well. There is also a great resort right near Charleston called Wild Dunes. You get the best of both worlds there.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
donna

montysgrl: I have to disagree with nina. Anyone who is bored on Hilton Head isn't trying very hard to find something fun to do. In addition to golf and the beach, there is kayaking, tennis, bike riding (paths all over the island or ride on the beach), horseback riding (in a nature preserve or on the beach with one company), shopping, miniature golf, parasailing, cruises to see dolphin, and lots more. I agree that a trip to Charleston is a must, but also to Savannah, another spectacular city.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Donna

Re: the last entry---does anyone know the name of the stable (or any stable) that has horseback riding on the beach in Hilton Head?? We are headed there in July and my 10 year old daughter ( an experienced rider) is dying to get a beach ride in. Anyone????

Thanks

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:14 PM
donna

Lawton Stables, Moss Creek, and Rose Hill all have stables, but Sea Horse Farms is the only stable that I know of to offer beach rides. I took one of these rides last summer, and enjoyed it, although I expected more of the ride to be on the beach. July is a BUSY month on Hilton Head. Be sure to make your reservation for the ride several days in advance. Also, some days can be brutally hot, so they might not take the horses out. Have fun!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:43 AM
danna

Somewhere around age 18, Myrtle Beach changes from hormone-heaven to hell-on-earth. Your kids will probably love it, at age 13 I LIKED huge crowds, cruising, amusement parks, putt-putt, and fantasized about winning wet T-shirt contests. This is probably not what you want from a vacation.

Seriously, Myrtle Beach is a redneck destination. I live 4 1/2 hours away and have successfully avoided it since I was 20.

Hilton Head is great, stay on the beach, enjoy the ocean, there are plenty of activities as noted by Donna. Charleston is also a fabulous city, if you have never been there, I would definately spent AT LEAST a day there, touring the historic city.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:55 AM
chuck

Danna,

You don't give your age, but if you are significantly older than 20, your opinion is based on information that may no longer be accurate.

That said, while I wouldn't characterize the entire Myrtle Beach/Grand Strand area as a redneck destination, it is generally true that Hilton Head is more upscale and MB and environs are more working class.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:04 PM
joan

I agree with Theresaq. The Outer Banks (Nags Head area) of North Carolina have it all over Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Gorgeous dunes, lots to do, neither tacky nor snobby - just a nicer atmospher in my opinion. When we tried to use those bike paths in HH, we were turned away several times at the entrances to the gated communities. Myrtle seems to be crowded with condos, while in Nags Head area you can rent beautiful beachfront homes. A great family spot.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:34 PM
montysgrl

Thanks everyone for all your input. I think that what we want is a little more than Myrtle beach has to offer. My kids are great and would be happy at the beach, pool, or just taking in the beauty of the area. Thanks for helping us. We are still thinking of a Carolina Vacation. Now we need help as to where.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
timmy

hh is the place 4 u

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:43 PM
xx

How is the heat and sun in summer? I know its hot but is it unbearable.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
danna

You know, Chuck, you have a point.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
chuck

Montysgrl,

As you're shying away from Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, I think Nina may have had the best solution for you--stay oceanfront at Wild Dunes (or even Kiawah Island) near Charleston. Charleston is a fantastic city--great food, great walking town, lots of history (your kids will love Patriot Point, with its WWII-era ships and planes).

I would also second Joan's suggestion of the Outer Banks, Nags Head (or further north in Duck or Corolla). That's a great place, with the possibility of hang-gliding at Jockey's Ridge or simply visiting the Wright Brothers Musuem.

Danna,

I am so glad I didn't offend you. After I posted, I realized my comment came too close discussing a lady's age. What I should have said instead is that I have seen a lot of changes in the grand strand area over the past 5-10 years especially.

The Pavillion is still relatively the same, but other areas have developed into something beyond a redneck riviera. You should give it another try! Stay at Litchfield or Pawley's Island and check out Huntington Beach State Park, Brookgreen Gardens, and Georgetown's waterfront district. You probably don't need to go further North than Murrels Inlet for great food--but if you venture into MB for that, try Collector's Cafe (you won't believe you're in MB).

Again, my apologies if I offended you. And thanks for being gracious in any event.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Catherine

Questiono you like county fairs, t-shirt shops, and buffet restaurants? If you said yes, then Myrtle Beach is the place for you! If you said no, then keep driving until you get to Charleston or Hilton Head. We do not golf, and we had a great time on HH recently. We stayed at the South Beach Marina on Sea Pines Plantation. It was VERY quaint, and we rented an efficiency appartment for a very reasonable rate(try 120 per night)-loved it. We went kayaking(saw dolphins!-kids can easily handle this), biking(Fantastic bike paths on the plantation), beachbumming, putputting, shopping, etc... The dining was great, too. Everything was very easy access from the marina. This place has a lot of class and character. I would personally go back to hh a hundred times before I would go back to mb once. Enough said.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Mike

Hilton Head, Hilton Head, Hilton Head... I am a 21 year old college student who still travels with my parents every June to HH. I love it there!! I lay on the beach for 5 hours a day plus parasailing, jet-skiing, cruises, etc. In addition, the restaurants there are fabulous! Eat at the Old Oyster Factory or Boathouse...they are my favorites. Also, go see Gregg Russell under the old oak tree at Harbour Town Mon-Sat evenings. While geared towards young children, adults can enjoy him as well (I have been enjoying him for 7 years now!) Enjoy the peace and quiet of the beach and bike trails as well as the shopping and crowds at South Beach and Harbour Town. Enjoy yourself! I guarantee that you will love it by the time you leave!

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:48 PM
My Vote

Your kids would like Myrtle Beach better, but you would like Hilton Head better.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:44 PM
teresa

GO TO HILTON HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:13 PM
suzi

Kids will have more to do at Myrtle but stay in North Myrtle. Hilton Head is nice too but you will have to entertain the kids yourself more there