Hilton Head Activities Other than Tennis, Golf and Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a moment of wretched impulse I bid on and got a week's time share rental at Hilton Head for a ridiculously low price. HH is uncharted territory for me even though I'm just over an hour away inland. Weather, as usual this time of year, will probably be fair in the morning (beach time, bike riding etc -- the place comes with two bikes!), and thunderstorms/rain afternoon and evening.

Looking for input on activities other than golf and tennis (will be by myself at least part of the time). I may kayak one day, there's a nearby auction Sunday afternoon, but how about gullah tours, Daufuskie Island, nature walks, cruises -- I see what's available but would like to hear from fellow Fodorites who have gone on similar outings in the past for recommendations.

I've been to Savannah and Beaufort and explored them and I don't need input on places to eat (have that pretty well planned thanks to earlier posts).

TIA.

B/
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM

wow, you're energetic. We go at least once a year and you've listed every activity that we do. This year we're adding Charleston for a long day trip, repeating Savannah for a late lunch and probably adding the outlets outside of HHI and an unguided trip to see Daufuskie. (I hate shopping but their name brand spots are usually empty in the mornings to minimize the pain).Other than the above we may never leave Sea Pines!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:12 AM

There are several DOlphin watching boating excursions for something different.
Oh, and don't forget the shopping. There are unusual boutiques as well as large shopping malls.
There are some nice art galleries there as well.
Golf and beach are the biggies though!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I took a sailing lesson once (possibly twice...memory fades) on a catamaran. The lessons were given by the same folks who do the Dolphin tours. Capt. Zodiac maybe? It was just gobs of fun.

Other than that, as a serious cyclist/mountain biker, I really get a kick out of riding beach crusiers or cheapie mtbs around either the beach or the huge network of paved paths throughout the island. So flat, so easy, and mostly shaded too in the neighborhoods. It's your chance to get in Sea Pines w/ out coughing up $5, too!

I have also rented roller blades for the same paths. fun.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I love the sailing lesson suggestion -- thanks! Will absolutely check that one out.

Anyone do a trail ride on St. Helena (I think with an assist I could still get on a horse).

B/
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I doubt if this will change your plans but I just read somewhere that Sea Pines was not allowing outside bikers in due to path crowding which I interpreted as really meaning security concerns.Let us know how you make out!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Hi,
I love visiting Hilton Head. There is tons to do! When you get to the island there is a welcome center and we stop there first. There are many brochures of different things to do. We went on a dolphin/sunset cruise and it was great. I don't remember the name of the company, but it had a cute dolphin on it's logo. At night, we enjoy going to Shelter Cove (fireworks 1-2 times a week), Frosty Frogs (trivia game and fun drinks), Harbortown, Salty Dog and Coligny Plaza. These areas have fun restaurants/bars and there are always a lot of people and music.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM

cheapbutnice: if that is true about Sea Pines, then it will seriously impact my destination decisions in the future. That's SOOOO obnoxious. Security concerns my butt, profit concerns. Anybody who wanted to create a security problem would take a car and pay the $5.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Here, a news story from the Packet on just that:

http://tinyurl.com/72u8r

B/