Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks vs Hilton Head

Looking for advice...family ages 2,3,8,10

which is better beach? better location?

any advice appreciated
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:51 PM

No contest, two completely different places. Hilton Head much more of a resort area, Outer Banks great for old time beach fun. No boardwalks in either so its golf, tennis, etc. in Hilton Head, and beach, good food, and miniature golf if you are so inclined in Outer Banks (though great golf there too, just not as many nor the level of courses you'll find in HH. Our kids have spent the last 20 summers in the Outer Banks so I'm a bit jaded Good luck!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM

Just got back from Hilton Head, and have visited the OBX many times. In terms of the beach, it's definitely better for kids in Hilton Head (or Kiawah, Seabrook, Wild Dunes). Gently sloping bottom, shallow for a long distance = much safer for the little ones. The beaches are wide, and the sand is hard-packed, so one of the favorite pastimes is to ride your bike on the beach -- especially at low tide, when the picking for shells and sand dollars is best. Many times at the OBX, the black flag was flying, and no one was even allowed in the water because of heavy surf, riptides, undertow, etc.

Hilton Head and Kiawah also have kid's camps which include nature tours and other activities.

Beyond the beach, each area has something to recommend it. For grownups, however, the South Carolina beaches have the very appealing proximity to the nearby cities (Charleston for Kiawah; Savannah for Hilton Head), which make for day trip opportunities.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:30 AM

My opinion: I didn't like the "gated community" feel in HH. Had to pay just to get into the community where the lighthouse is located - they wouldn't let us even ride our bikes through - that rubs me the wrong way. Wouldn't go back...but have returned to OBX many times. Harder to get to, but worth it.