High School Senior Trip for Girls

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:25 AM
SFLizzie

High School Senior Trip for Girls

I'm looking for information regarding a group of high school seniors going to Hawaii in June. They are looking at a condo called Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Tower which is a beach front property located a couple blocks down from the international marketplace. The parents are worried about a condo vs. a hotel due to less security and possibly less experience dealing with groups of teenagers. Any advice?

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming no adults are going (I will refrain from commenting on that), check carefully with property about whther or not they will be allowed to stay there at ages 18/19 without an adult - I tend to doubt it.

Second - security issue. Security/crime is not the issue I would worry about as much as protecting a group of teenagers from themselves - and hotel or condo security is not designed for that.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM
GoTravel

It is industry standard for hotels and condo rentals in resort towns to have a 21 year old minimum age requirement that all non family guests be over 21 or that the chaparone be 25 years of age and older.

I would firstly check the rental age requirements.

Most condo and home rentals do not allow house parties at all.

I would not chance this either because I have personally had to refuse accommodation to groups of kids in my former hotels.

The homeowners association will also have these rules.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM

mmh...have we all forgotten about Aruba. Teenage girls really far away from home...No Supervision..YIKES!!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:31 AM

actually, the girls in Aruba had adult supervision. Just not very good ones.

All hotels in Waikiki have experience dealing with teenagers, eg. after-prom after-grad and spring break vacations.

If they are able to get a room, security will not do any protection. They will, however, boot the kids out on the street if they make too much noise, or have too many in a room.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM

The job of security at a hotel is to protect the guests from thieves, pickpockets and possibly worse criminals. It is not to babysit stray groups of teens. If you think they're not perfectly capable of behaving sensibly and taking care of themselves they shouldn't be going - unless of course they're self-supporting - and then they can do whatever they please.

Agree that it's extremely unlikely any condo association would allow these kids to rent without adult supervision.

In any case - neither the association nor the hotel is interested in "dealing" with groups of teens. If the teens can;t behave properly - out they go - it's not the responsibility of anyone but them.

(And who do you think will "deal" with them whem the go to college in the fall? If they can;t be trusted now you have a lot of work to do before September.)

(I think the case in Aruba is the perfect example of the infantilized american teenager. What happened to the young girl is a terrible tragedy - but a high shool senior who doesn't know enough not to go to a bar, get drunk, use drugs and then go off in a car with strange men - is a disaster waiting to happen. What were her parents thinking when she was 12 to 17 - didn't they guide her growing up at all?)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I can remember being that age. And if I had a daughter that age, going on a Senior Trip, I would handcuff her to a 300lb witch. I would worry about letting girls that age go to any motel/hotel/condo that wasn't VERY VERY particular about adult supervision.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I echo the concerns of everyone else on this board. Ignoring for a moment the real physical dangers that often exist in areas where many young men and women congregate without much supervision, one of the other dangers they face is being arrested.

Often, the reasons hotels and condos will throw groups of teens out is disturbances, underage drinking, vandalism, etc. Very often, in addition to throwing the kids out, they call the police. All of the above problems are also criminal activity and the result, quite often, is the kids wind up in juvenile hall or county jail, depending on their ages. If they are under age, the parents may also be asked very pointed questions about the lack of supervision.

My advice, since you asked, is to disappoint the kids and not allow such a trip until they are of age and responsible for themselves, legally and financially.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Aileen, thanks for my laugh of the day:

"And if I had a daughter that age, going on a Senior Trip, I would handcuff her to a 300lb witch."

Well put!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM

There is absolutely no way I would let my daughter go on an unsupervised "senior trip." I think anyone who would is a lousy parent with their head in the sand. No matter how much you trust your daughter (and mine is wonderful), you can't trust all the others that they will meet (plus, they behave differently in packs!).
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM

The Aruba situation is the perfect example of what can happen to a young, perhaps naive girl, in a situation of lots of drinking and meeting of strangers. That's what happens on senior trips, girls drink and meet strangers. Why would you put an ocean between you and your daughter? If tragedy strikes, you're awfully far away. I'm not a proponent of any kind of senior trip, but what happened to renting a cabin on a lake a few hours away? Kids these days are given way too much, way too soon.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM

SFLizzie -

Only you know your child and his/her friends. If you do not trust absolutely in their judgment as sensible young adults with the ability to cope appropriately with travel and their surroundings - they should not be going - because no one is going to babysit them.

(The question of why they're not young adults yet - or why their companions may not be trustworthy is for another board - on parenting.)

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM

SFLizzie,

We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Tower for 3 nights over Easter break last year. These condos are located across the street from Waikiki beach. I'm not sure what the teens have in mind but other than the street traffic this is a quiet place. This is listed as a deluxe property. I think there were only 4 units on our floor and we never saw our neighbors.

Hopefully they are responsible and will be respectful to the other guests.
We paid almost $700 a night and I would have been very disappointed not to get a good nights sleep.

As to safety, the lobby area is very small with the elvevator being located close to the check in desk. If I recall, there was always hotel personnel standing in the lobby keeping an eye on who came and left.

There are no stores located in the building so they will have to leave everytime they need something.

In general I think Honolulu is very safe but I would really stress the fact that they should never walk around at night alone and to stay on the main street which is Kalakaua (sp?).

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM

It is always hard to say when you don't know the individual teens. Only you know them and their travel companions.

You don't say if this is all males, all females or a mix. What does concern me is that you are asking if a hotel is better because they have more 'experience dealing with groups of teenagers"

- I wouldn't have sent or would send my son or daughter anywhere where I counted on a hotel to "deal" with him, her or their friends. What is it you anticipate happening that the hotel would need to deal with this group of teenagers? Being loud? rude? disturbing other guests? having loud parties? drinking underage? and/or drinking irresponsibly? allowing strangers in their rooms? trashing their rooms? talking or partying with strangers and letting them know where they are staying or other private information? Being totally responsible as to where they swim, snorkel, surf, etc....If I was worried about them handling any of the above, and more, then I wouldn't let them go.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:51 AM

The title of the thread says, "for Girls." I have resisted replying to this thread, but since the final words of the OP are "Any advice?" I will finally offer mine: Don't let her go. Any trip in which there is even a concern about whether a place has "experience dealing with groups of teenagers" sounds like bad news.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:44 AM

I went to Mexico with just 2 girlfriends when I was 18. Knowing how we behaved and what we did on that trip, my advice is to chain her to that 300 lb. witch and not let her go. I realize there comes a time you have to let your kids be grownups but travelling all the way to Hawaii for a high school trip is too much. I'd be worried sick the whole time. I'm only 29 and have no kids yet, so I can't speak from that aspect but I can speak from the experience of being one of those unsupervised teenagers. Bad news!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM

I know what I did when I was 23...and I was of legal age and in College AND with my parents....

Sometimes even if we are good and behave and all, we all have done things on vacation that is a bit out of the ordinary.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:54 AM

tinatoadster.... were we in the same sorority by chance...hee, hee, hee...

I remember what I did on the 8th grade trip to DC, the 11th grade trip to DC, the 12th grade trip to Paris, the junior year in college trip to England, and the Rose Bowl trip my senior year. I don't exactly remember all of the college spring breaks in Ft. Lauderdale or the cheer competitions in Honolulu.... But I had fun.