High blood pressure

Jun 25th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

High blood pressure

Anyone with high blood pressure, ever had issues at Zion or bryce? recently diagnosed.
had some trouble a few years ago in telluride- chest pain - when climbed to a waterfall too fast. will be starting from las vegas which is lower I hear.

height in las vegas is? zion ? and bryce? know it is the highest. How about rt 12?

thanks
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM
OO

I'm hypertensive...more or less controlled, but it fluctuates, wildly sometimes. I'm most certainly NOT an expert, far from it, as other than taking that pill every morning I ignore it, but high blood pressure is known as the silent killer, no symptoms, and I would think chest pains (which I've never had) are more symptomatic of another ailment--possibly a blockage (?), than of a blood pressure problem.

Living on the water in FL, I went from 0 altitude to Vegas for a day, then on to Bryce with no problems at all and hiked strenuously in both Bryce and Zion. I've also gone from the FL coast to Silverthorne, CO, a higher elevation than Bryce, to ski, again with no problems. I honestly think you've got something else at play other than blood pressure that warrants a look see. Have you ever mentioned chest pains to your Dr?
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I definitely agree with OO. People do not usually 'feel' their blood pressure at all. Chest pains can be all kinds of things, some not threatening at all.

For a while I had low blood pressure and found that after running up and down the stairs, I would have a big thumping heart for a few minutes..it ended up having nothing to do with blood pressure.
Check with your doctor though, he will know best.
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM

The answer to your question about blood pressure issues at Bryce is YES. But I don't think this forum is the place to get evaluated for a potentially serious medical problem.

I discovered I had high blood pressure one year at Bryce. The altitude caused me to wake up one morning with a very rapid pulse rate, which for me was most unusual. Concerned, I went to the clinic in Panguitch where the doctor told me I had borderline high blood pressure and put me on a blood pressure drug which also slowed my heart rate.

Are you taking prescription drugs for your high blood pressure? Although I have the same type of problem, Avalide and Toprol XL keep it under control.

When I got home from that trip to Bryce, I found a cardiologist who conducted a complete evaluation including a stress echo electrocardiagram.

So if your blood pressure is not being treated properly, you could share my experience of a rapid heart rate induced by the altitude.

On the other hand, I am ok these days. Last year we went up high to 11,000 feet in Switzerland. Before leaving, I asked my cardiologist for advice. She said I would experience no problems IF I took my medicine AS PRESCRIBED. She was right; I had no trouble.

The important point here is to get evaluated by a qualified physician before you go. High blood pressure can be treated effectively. Allowed to go untreated, it can lead to all kinds of problems -- like heart damage and/or stroke. I don't think it is anything to be fooled with.

To answer your other question, Rt 12 is generally lower than Bryce. There is, however, one high point as you approach Torrey where the highway reaches 9,200 feet as you skirt the mountains. (At least that is the figure on my AAA map.)

Then you drop substantially before reaching Torrey.

Zion is in general lower than Bryce. The floor of the canyon is flat but if you head up one of the steep canyon climbs, the route can be very taxing for the poorly conditioned. Hidden Canyon is one of them; Lady Mountain is another.

But high blood pressure is high blood pressure anywhere you go. Playing games with the altitude thinking you are fine is to me a little dangerous without competent medical advice.
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Tess

I have mild hypertension that flucuates into the moderate category at times (even with medication). Sometimes worrying about what my blood pressure MIGHT be doing makes it go higher so I've learned to take my portable blood pressure cuff (pretty inexpensive--something like $35) along on trips. We live at an altitude of 3000+ so altitude that doesn't bother me but anything out of my normal routine is subject to a b.p. zoom, I've found. Thirty-five dollars is worth it for peace of mind.

Jun 25th, 2004, 08:57 PM

To answer your question about elevations.

Las Vegas elevation is 2,174 feet

Bryce goes from 8,000 near the visitor center all the way up to 9,100 feet along the scenic drive.

The elevation of Zion near Springdale is a little over 3,900 feet and then if you exit out the tunnel it's about 6,600 feet.

Highway 12 will vary. Bryce is at 8,000. The town of Boulder is at a little over 6,600 feet. The Boulder Mountain pass between Boulder and Torrey, I believe is 9,400 feet.

Utahtea

Jun 26th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Chest pain is very very very rarely associated with high BP. If you have not spoken to your doctor in detail about these pains I would recommend you do so immediately - and then get his/her adivce about necessary treatment and the advisability of travel.

I don;t wish to alarm you - but this is nothing to fool around with - I would go to the doctor today.
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Why would you discuss this health issue with strangers on a travel forum rather than your doctor?
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Cassandra

HowardR, it seems safe to assume that Joanel will also be talking to her doctor. But what is the harm in asking about the experience of others (esp. while waiting the customary 6-10 weeks it takes to get a 15 min. appt.)? She's not asking anyone to diagnose her. If others have had the same experience, there's even more reason for her to talk to her doc. And she also wanted to know the altitudes, which I doubt her doc would know. People who respond to posts like this with such insulting condescension are clearly in it for the pomposity and the negativity rather than an impulse to be helpful and communicative, which is the point of this forum.

Jun 26th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Cassandra, rather than considering my response condescending, pompous and negative, I think it was as solid a piece of advice as anyone has given in response.....certainly more helpful than yours!
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Cassandra

HowardR, your post was not a piece of advice, it was a snide question. You asked why anyone would discuss health issues with strangers. I tried in part to answer that question. (Evidently you've never ever compared notes about this or that ailment with other people.) I was trying also to be helpful to Joanel by supporting her decision and right to ask her question here.

But if you want more specific response to what Joanel was asking: Joanel, people who tell you that chest pains are not usually associated with blood pressure problems are correct, but that doesn't mean you aren't courting some sort of problem if you ignore chest pains while traveling. Depending on your age, you could have both heart and blood pressure problems, or you could simply have been putting extra pressure on your lungs and they were "protesting." When I'm out of breath from climbing too fast, I get one kind of "chest pain"; some kinds of indigestion cause other kinds of chest pain, and yes heart problems are a possibility too.

Jun 26th, 2004, 08:03 AM
cfc

I had some difficulty at high altitudes but was told it had more to do with respiration and oxygen exchange and their effect on muscles than anything else. I try to build up a bit more stamina before I hike at higher altitudes and take it slow -- it's not an Olympic event. (FTR, Howard, I thought you were rude too.)
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM
GoTravel

Cassandra, if it takes you 6-10 weeks to get a 15 minute appointment with your cardiologist, I'd find another quick. My husband's cardiologist spends a minimum of 45 minutes with him.

Joanel, I highly suggest you find a good cardiologist because having chest pains is very serious and not something your GP would be an expert on.

Jun 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Joanel,

Why bother with a Cardiologist when you have Cassandra who seems to be a health expert?

HowardR is 100% correct!

I really hope this reply was useful although I didn't clear it through Cassandra.

Curious
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Cassandra

Ah, Curious is back again. No, your reply wasn't helpful in the slightest (why would you think it was?) and Howard was right about what?...asking why Joanel would post here?

You can either approach posters here as friends who want your input or as ignorant fools who don't know what they're doing and have no right to post. I prefer the former. It's obvious which Howard and Curious prefer.

Joanel has probably moved on having decided the hassle wasn't worth it, and I'm happy to leave you charter members of the PA club to your own nattering.

Jun 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Jeez! All this bickering is raising my blood pressure!
Everyone should take a deep breath and think about something else today, Joanel will find a good doctor, go to Zion and have a lovely time and we will be left here, with each other..so play nice!
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Anybody want to borrow my old golf clubs with which to belabor each other?
I predict tendenitis in the thrashing arm the way this exchange is shaping up.

We could hold it here, where I live, in the arena used for mud wrestling.
That might be a good new attraction, antagonistic Fodorites wading in knee deep mud trying to belt each other with old golf clubs. Joanel could officiate.
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:27 PM

First of all, I can only chuckle at those who dispense medical advice without an MD degree. Joanel, do yourself a favor and seek medical information and advice only from medical professionals!
I can only chuckle at those posters who feel that my initial response was rude. C'mon!
And finally, Cassandra, I don't look at Fodor's posters as friends or enemies, but rather as mainly very pleasant people who are willing to share some travel information. PS: Please stop with the name calling!