Need Advice on Quick Bryce/Zion Trip

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Need Advice on Quick Bryce/Zion Trip

I had planned a longer trip to Bryce and Zion and the other parks in the region, but due to work schedules, I've had to cut my trip short. I know this isn't ideal, but I"d rather have a few days there than none, even though I know it won't really be enough to see everything I'd like.

I'm flying into Salt Lake City early Wed morning and driving to Bryce. I'll stay overnight at Bryce, and then spend the next two nights at Zion before returning to Salt Lake City Sat afternoon.

Given that I won't have a lot of time in either park, I'll need to just do "highlights" this time. Any suggestions on "must dos" or things that give a good overview? I'm middle aged and in relatively good health so most moderate trails are fine, but I should probably avoid anything really challenging or tricky.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM

First contact Fodors and have them tag your post for Utah. I saw it by accident.

Get to Bryce as early as you can.

While it's nice to get to Sunset Point for sunset, it's a lot better to get to Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise. Get there early.

Then have a quick breakfast and go to Sunset Point where you can do the scenic Navajo Loop / Queens Garden hike.

This will give you a taste of Bryce and the hoodoos.

The drive to Zion is less than 2 hours. Maybe 1 1/2 hours. On the way in the east entrance stop and do the relatively short Canyon Overlook hike.

In Zion proper you have a choice of several. The very easy but scenic Riverside Walk. A mile each way and very easy.

Emerald Pools as well. There's a Lower, Middle and Upper. Do any or all.

You can do the first part of Angel's Landing up to Scout's Lookout. Not difficult and very scenic.

While it's a lot of work for 3 days, you deal with what you can.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, very helpful! Common sense tells me I should skip this trip because it's just too short, but if I don't go now, I'm not sure when I can go again. And common sense can be overrated.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM

If you are coming via SLC, you might want to go to Moab and Arches if you have not been there already.
Zion, Bryce and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are best accessed from Las Vegas IMO.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Don't Skip it. Heck, pick any park in Southern Utah and it will be well worth the time you do have.

What I consider The "Must Do's" in Bryce would be just as Myer Says.

For Zion, I would do All of Angels Landing. A bit adventurous. Not Dangerous, IMOP. Yes, people have died there. This wouldn't be for you if you have a fear of heights or falling.
Also, go past The Riverwalk and do The Narrows. Don't do this if rain is threatening(check with visitor center/ranger first before going in to make sure water isn't to high).

Spend 1 day in Bryce and 2 days in Zion
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Well, I agree with spiro and disagree about Angels Landing. You said moderate.

I'm glad he warned about fear of heights and falling.

About the Narrows. I skipped it because it's a hike in waist high water. Not for my camera.

We agree on many things but not all. Ha!!!

Yes, two days in Zion and one in Bryce.

Do it!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 05:29 PM

I pretty much agree with Myer's suggestions for both parks.

With your limited time I would skip the Narrows, b/c it would take you most of the day. I didn't find even the thought of it very appealing.

Try not to miss Weeping Rock. It's a short and easy hike with lovely vistas before you as you sit and refresh under the "weeping rock"
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:05 AM

When you are driving in the east side of Zion from Bryce, be sure to stop right before the entrance to the tunnel and do the Canyon Overlook hike. It's pretty short but very scenic - well worth it.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:53 AM
J62

I pretty much agree wtih Myer's/Spiro's suggestions for both parks.

Definitely take the riverside walk at Zion up to the narrows. You don't need to do the full Narrows walk to get some appreciation of it. The further you can go the better, but go at least a few hundred yards upstream. Once you turn a few corners you are away from the crowds and in another world.

Everything else is exactly how I would do it. if you are a fast walker, or trail runner then you can definitely add more distance at either of the parks.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 06:07 AM

If you've never been to either park, you'll in for a treat, and they're fine for a short trip. Both parks are smallish with one road in that dead ends and very limited parking. Zion requires that you use their shuttle for most of the tourist season, unless you are staying in the Park. I think Bryce has the option of a shuttle, but it isn't mandatory.

At Zion, the neatest, most unusual hike is to Walter's Wiggles and up to Scouts Landing. You can make this a long walk or fairly short depending on when you want to turn around. At Bryce, my favorite walk is Peekaboo Loop.

One drive not to miss is the entrance to Zion from Bryce. Some folks sort of miss it by starting in Zion and going to Bryce because the views are best from the other direction.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! With such limited time I want to make the most of every minute and your suggestions will be very helpful. I purchased plane tickets yesterday, so it looks like this will happen. I usually plan so far in advance. This is totally different for me, but I'm very excited.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Oops, Missed the Moderate. It is strenuous.