Search

bryce or zion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:52 PM
vicki

bryce or zion?

we will be in the park city utah area during
august &
want to see the gorgeous parks & canyons.
would u suggest driving to the grand canyon,
bryce or zion? heard bryce is absolutely
the best (???) And, if so, what's the closest
airport for departure? thks.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Paul Rabe

I hope you're asking whether to visit Bryce or Zion AS WELL AS the Grand Canyon. I've been to all three, at least twice apiece (GC seven times); and the Canyon far exceeds the other two combined.

My advice is to see Bryce at EITHER sunrise or sunset, and spend the rest of the day at Zion, which is only a couple hours away. I really can't choose between the two; they're both quite good. My personal favorite is Zion; but I can understand why others would prefer Bryce.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:18 PM
lena

Of the three Zion was my favorite. It's more diverse, and has more hiking opportunities. I loved the Riverside Walk. Bryce was my least favorite, it was more homogenous, I felt just taking a look down would've been sufficient. Zion and Bryce are about 2 hours from each other and the road through Mt Carmel junction and Hwy 12 was spectacular. How much time do you have? We flew into Las Vegas.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Utahtea

The first time you see the Grand Canyon it will take your breath away!

Of the three, Zion is my favorite.

Utahtea

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Lewis Clarke

Give my vote to Zion! I agree that Bryce is a morning and late afternoon thing and most of it can best be appreciated from the road. Zion? You gotta explore it on foot and it's gorgeous!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:24 AM
rqf

If you have the time (about five days) consider visiting all three. The way to go is by car since distances are not that great. You can do it in a circle. The furthest away is the north rim of Gr. Canyon - about 500 miles from Park City. It is about 275 miles to Bryce and about 370 miles to Zion from Park City. My personal favorite is Bryce but all three should be seen.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:54 AM
OliveOyl

It certainly would be hard to choose one from those 3! We loved hiking the GC and have been twice. Last Thanksgiving we had two days at Bryce then 3 at Zion. I hated to leave Bryce after the two days, feeling we hadn't seen it well enough, but then Zion was fabulous and I know we didn't have enough time there. We hiked daily--each hike offering something different from the other. We will be back and I WILL finish Angel's Landing beyond Walter's Wiggles next time!! Chicken me. gt; What an absolutely beautiful area it is.

LV is the most convenient airport, and because of the # of flights into and out of LV, prices are reasonable.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Dayle

I have to disagree with those who say Bryce is best seen from the road. I think at least taking a short hike is a great way to see the hoodoos up close and personal.

Bryce is also nice in mid-summer because of its high altitude. Nice & pleasant temps.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Connie

It's a tie between Bryce and Zion.
At Bryce, the Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Trails take you into and down the canyon where you can get up close with the "hoodoos" or take a horseback ride into the Canyon. The reds,oranges and crimson colors are breath-taking!
At Zion, it reminded us more of Yosemite - giant awsome rock formations. Powerful, majestic and scultured with some wonderful hikes among waterfalls, narrow canyons and huge variety of vegetation at different elevations.
GC is great to look at but hard to interact with.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Katrina

Haven't been to Zion, but have been to Arches and Bryce. Both are incredible and very different. Bryce is absolutely amazing--the colors are too pretty to describe. When I went we flew into SLC, rented a car and drove to Arches, Page, AZ, and then on to Bryce. We drove alot of miles but the scenery is beautiful wherever you go, and it is was fun just to drive!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Polly

Bryce and Zion are so close to each other, I cannot imagine visiting one with visiting the other. Even if you choose to spend more time in one, you must at least LOOK at the other. They are ENTIRELY different. At Zion, you look UP at the monoliths; at Bryce, you look down on the almost whimsical structures as you look down on the GC.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:49 AM
denny

There is nothing on earth like the Grand Canyon. Don't miss it. As for the other 2, if you MUST choose one, choose ZION! Fly into the Las Vegas airport and spend a night there to appreciate the contrast between all the manmade glitz and God's beautiful creation!