Hidden gems in NOLA FQ?

Aug 8th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Original Poster
Hidden gems in NOLA FQ?

Im taking a long weekend at end of Aug with 3 adult children in late 20's. I've read about all the things NO offers from the guidws, but are there any hidden gems there that the guide books don't tell me? I'm looking for things 'off the beaten path'. Thanks in advance!
Aug 8th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Oh my, are you in for a shock. Hot, very (VERY) humid, and likely some wet/rainy spells.
Aug 9th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I am going to say hotel bars. Dark, cool, hotel bars, with professional bartenders and civilized customers. No men in tank tops. No loud music. No women who look like Hooters employees on their day off. No bros. No screeching girls. There are street bars galore for those. Just cold drinks, low lights.
Aug 9th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Uh, the French Quarter is a well-beaten beaten path.

But one avoid-the-crowd suggestion: Cafe Beignet on Royal instead of Cafe Du Monde.
Aug 9th, 2016, 06:41 PM
This is probably in your guidebook, but it was new to me last time I was in town. It is on Bourbon Street but a little further down than the main action. It is a very old bar and was worth stopping for a drink and listening to the live music, which was a piano player the noght we were there.

Aug 10th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I highly recommend the Chamber of Commerce's walking tours. Check them out in the office on Jackson Square. Very reasonably priced and informative! I did not do this until my third trip to NOLA and it was still so worth it.
Aug 10th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Although not exactly hidden, I really enjoy Napoleon House on Chartres - great place to get a drink and hang out.

I also like to get take out from Verdi Mart on Royal and then go sit on the levy to eat and watch the river traffic.

Cafe Amalie on Royal near Dumaine is a great place for lunch and has a sweet courtyard.

Confederacy of Cruisers does some nice bike tours - they go outside the FQ and take you through some of the surrounding neighborhoods (if it isn't too hot to enjoy them).

If you enjoy touring historic houses, the FQ has several. My favorites are the Gallier House and the Beauregard-Keyes House. The 1850 House is pretty neat too - it's right on Jackson Square, but even though its in the middle of things, I think a lot of people walk right past it. Madame John's Legacy on Dumaine is one of the oldest houses in the FQ and although it isn't furnished as a house, they host exhibits in the space.
Aug 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Not sure how hidden it is, but I always enjoy getting gelato at La Divina on St. Peter tucked beside the cathedral. It's also a cafe but I've only gotten their gelato. They have some really interesting flavors and they'll be even more delicious in the August heat!
Aug 10th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Original Poster
Thank you one and all, I look foward to taking these ideas and exploring. I know it's going to be hot, humid with the threat of rain. But, hey, we're going to be on vacation!

Search this Thread