Nightlife in New Orleans

Mar 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Nightlife in New Orleans

Anyone have a recommendation for nightlife spots in NO? I don't want to go to Pat O'Brien's...was there in 1979. How about the Funky Butt or the Famous Door? Thanks
Mar 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Famous Door is good. We stayed the whole night there (with a crowd of fellow 30-somethings) listening to a band do 80's rock covers!

Just stroll up and down Bourbon Street and find a place that looks good, and go on in.
Mar 12th, 2005, 08:53 AM

If you are there on a Thurs night, go to Vaughn's in the 9th Ward. Take a cab and make sure they now where they are going. You can call for a cab when you're ready to leave - make sure you give your name so you can claim your cab. Kermit Ruffins plays there - it's awesome. Try to arrive between 9:30 an 10pm

Or try Snug Harbor or Rockin' Bowl.
Mar 12th, 2005, 09:33 AM

For something a little quieter than the rock bands blaring all down Bourbon, try the Funky Pirate, 700 block. Big Al Carson and the Bluesmasters. He puts on a good show, no cover and you can hear yourself think. Even quieter is the piano bar at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. Lots of fun, good singer.
Mar 14th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Bienville House Hotel does a great show, "A Salute to Satchmo" musical review Wed-Sunday, this is a 7 piece jazz band with a female vocalist who play a medley of jazz tunes associated with Louis Armstrong. One hour shows beginning at 7:45. It finishes with its own second line jazz parade with the band leading the audience down the street. I believe one drink is included with the admission price.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM

The best thing about Bourbon Street is you have lots of options in one place and (generally) no cover charges. I agree with ChristeP. Just walk around until you hear a good song. I usually find a new place each time with this theory. Famous Door is usually a good time. I do like BBC (Bourbon Street Blues Company) a lot. The band is good, but it gets pretty packed at night. 3-4-1 upstairs all night unlike most places that only do it during the afternoons- if you're looking for lots of drinks!
Wish I could remember the bar we spent the whole night in last time, but I have no idea because we wandered in by hearing a good song and stumbled out so I didn't even look! It was either across from the Red Door or BBC. Not much help, I know...
Try Frenchmen Street on the other side of the Quarter for more options - dba, The Spotted Cat, Cafe Brazil, etc.
Mar 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Make sure you know who's playing before paying the cover to get into the Funky Butt. The music changes nightly and it could be any kind of jazz from avant guard to more traditional, it really depends on your taste in music. However, all the acts are top notch.

I'll second the Funky Pirate, though. Just make sure Big Al is in the house.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM

The Funky Pirate with Big Al Carson was a great experience, there is no cover charge, but you have to buy one drink each set. Big Al Carson was just was you expect in New Orleans.

Also Funky 544 on Bourbon has a great band, and good blues music.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Brutforce

I'll try & top a couple of old trip reports for you...

Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

I had the pleasure of visiting NOLA a month ago and heard about the best music ever on Frenchman's Street. We saw Ellis Marsalis (sp?) and hit a couple of the bars on the street. All were great! Everyone should visit NOLA now and support the toursist industry there. They need our money, our help and our support!!!! Go to NOLA and have a great time and spent A LOT on money if you want to see one of the greatest cities in America survive to see the end of the century!
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM
MAP

We always enjoy the Ritz lobby where they have a piano/vocalist, fabulous desserts offered, or a jazz band in nearby cafe off lobby. No cover charge and such elegant surroundings.