Anniversary Weekend Orlando

Apr 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
CJC
Original Poster

Anniversary Weekend Orlando

Will be at Ritz Carlton for husband's business trip in June; want to stay somewhere else after that. Looking for 4-5 star experience. Will be celebrating anniversary so prefer more adult-oriented place than Disney resorts although we are not child phobic so wouldn't rule them out! Considering Portofino, Royal Pacific, Ginn but would appreciate suggestions preferably from personal experience. (Is Cristini's Italian restaurant still open?) Thank you.
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I love the atmosphere at Portofino although a friend equally loves Royal Pacific. If I were going to eat at Tchoup Chop, then I'd pick Royal Pacific. Otherwise, Portofino.
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
granniem

We are going to Orlando in June/July but then going to Melbourne after that to stay at the Doubletree which has 2 room suites and overlooks the Atlantic (Balconies). Just a thought

Apr 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM
granniem

We are staying at the Roayl Pacific this year. We stayed at the Hard Rock last year and I only go back because of the head of the line passes, and we don't have to drive everyday. Hard Rock is nothing special, unless I guess if you booked the Presidential suite. (out of my league).

Apr 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Check out some Orlando trips

http://www.tripwiser.com/#tripwiser=..._key%3Dorlando
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Hard Rock is loud, noisy and well used. It's a Hard Rock and those who choose it on a regular basis like that "vibe". The Hard Rock in Miami was Anna Nicole's favorite hotel.

Cross the street and there's a completely different atmosphere at the Portofino.
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM
CJC
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful input so far! Granni - I think Royal Pacific also offers line passes to guests; my understanding is all of the Loew's Universal resorts do. Am sure the Presidential Suite is out of our league, but sounds like Portofino may be what we are looking for. What has happened to the Grand Cypress which used to be so highly acclaimed?
Apr 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Hard Rock, Portofino, and Royal Pacific provide the head of the line passes. You can also take a water taxi from Portofino to Universal.

I always chose Portofino for Florida meetings. The younger ones wanted the vibe and the noise of Hard Rock. Portofino is quiet elegance, and although families stay there, I never noticed kids or the noise that goes with them. Okay, I just wanted the big bowl of mussels at Mama's upon arrival so didn't consider that other two (and never went to the park). I just loved Portofino.
Apr 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM

The J.W. Marriott is still close to the amusement parks and will have some families staying while parking. Still the price tag at the J.W. keeps away most of the park roamers.

Cristini's is still open and a good option. If you like Cuban, Columbia in Celebration is a fine destination.
Apr 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Portofino Bay is my favorite of the Universal Resorts. If you are celebrating your anniversary, this is a perfect place. Very calm and relaxing, in spite of it's close proximity to the Universal parks.

Yy staying on-site at Universal you are giving front of the line privileges at the parks. There are no "passes". You just show your room key - and like magic you're on a ride. It is a fantastic perk.

Emeril's Tchoup Tchoup at Royal Pacific is fantastic.
Apr 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Oops, I was typing too fast and didn't review my reply. Was trying to say that -- By staying onsite at Universal you are given ...

Sorry.