Hermosa Beach restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We decided on staying in Hermosa Beach for the hotel, and not sure now if we did the right thing, as there are not many posts about good restaurants near Hermosa Beach! There are alot of good recommendations in Venice, Santa Monica, but can anyone make some good recommendations on places to eat? Should we be staying nearer to Santa Monica and Venice Beach for better dining options??
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM

We had a very good meal at Bluewater Grill, which is right on the water. There are other good options.

Santa Monica obviously has more restaurants.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM

I can give you many restaurant suggestions in Hermosa, Manhattan or Redondo Beaches in the SoBay. (so can Ivk and others)

What kind of food do you like, what is your price range? There is everything from casual Hermosa, Eat Good Stuff

http://www.eatgoodstuff.com/sc-index.html

to Kincaid's on the wharf in Redondo

http://www.kincaids.com/resv.php?coo...=Redondo+Beach

to my favorites in Manhattan:

Cafe' Pierre
Fonz's
Kettle
Rock'N Fish
Sloopy's

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM
lvk

Fear not, we in the South Bay like to eat well too. The guide book coverage of this area is spotty at best, but the locals can help you out.

We just found a terrific Northern Italian place in Redondo Beach this past weekend:
www.coccoledelgusto.com/
The Bottle Inn and Buona Vita are also good Italian places in Hermosa Beach.

Breakfast: Good Stuff, Martha's, The Beach Hut, Scotty's on the Strand.

Casual: Hennessey's, Hermosa Fish Market Cafe, Rajin' Cajun, Cafe Boogaloo.

That's just to get you started. As MBNancy says, if you give us more guidelines as to your budget and tastes, we can be of more help.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions! We like seafood; would like to go to one "really nice" seafood restaurant, preferably with a view of the ocean, then maybe some casual seafood places that are less expensive. (We don't get very good seafood in Utah)! We also like mexican, italian, and american (california cuisine). Any more suggestions would be great. We are staying at the Hermosa Beach House; any good deli's nearby, for beach eats?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
lvk

Fine dining Seafood Restaurants with a view:
Bluewater Grill www.bluewatergrill.com & Kincaid's both already mentioned.
"Old Tony's" on the Redondo Beach Pier is a classic fish house.

Casual Seafood: Captain Kidd's in the Redondo Beach Marina and Hermosa Fishmarket Cafe on Pier Ave.

Mexican with a view: Cantina Real on Pier Ave. and El Gringo (view from the rooftop tables), both in Hermosa. Another great Mexican is Pancho's in MB. There are lots of good little hole-in-the-wall Mexican places all over the beach cities.

Deli's for beach eats: Big Mike's (my favorite) in Hermosa. Pedone's for Pizza & Subs.

The Beach Hut is a little Hawaiian diner popular with surfers. Open only for breakfast & lunch.

Ice Cream: Lappert's on Pier Ave.

California cuisine: Chef Melba's Bistro (HB)

All the Hermosa Beach restaurants mentioned above are within walking distance of the Beach House, which is a beautiful property.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Be sure to check out the new Whole Foods market/food hall. Its in a a new shopping center at Sepulveda and Rosecrans. (Heading north on Sepulveda, go across Rosecrans and turn right). It's not too far away from Hermosa/Manhattan Beach. Just don't go during the morning/evening rush hours.

Uncle Bill's is a funky old school shack for breakfast or burgers, it's on Highland but walking distance to bikepath.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
lvk

mlgb,

Everyone has been raving about that Whole Foods food court! I was right there at Smith & Hawken on Friday, but didn't have time to stop in. Can't wait to try it.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM

I am also a fan of Kinkaid's at the Redondo Beach. For a lunch, doing the casual sea food cafes below the pier have a lot of character.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I can't add much to all the great suggestions given above. With a family, the BlueWater Grill might be a good choice for your family, though the others are super. Captain Kidd's is picnic-table style, and fun to pick out your own fresh fish cooked to order.

We were at Whole Food's market last Thursday for dinner. It was huge, too much to choose from! Think I still like Bristol Farms better.

Ivk, thanks for the suggestion of Coccole's in Redondo. Looks great. The map of where it is located, looks like the building of the 1967 Reb Foster's Reviler teen dance club. He was a popular DJ in LA in that era. Reb founded a group called The Turtles, "Happy Together" etc.

Later it turned out my husband and I had both been there and dh went to HS with them and was in cappella choir.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:The%20Tu...page=biography

Now we will go back there 40 years later and it is a fine dining Italian restaurant.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM

MBNancy--before they were "The Turtles" they were "The Crossfires" and dh's band, "The Delmars" beat them in a Battle of the Bands! Will you be at the AHS Reunion weekend (end of July)?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Darn, the link I provided didn't have the word " =biography " in blue ink, so the story of the Turtles didn't come up. Yes, I knew that was their early name, and no, Aviation is not my school. (but I have friends who attended and see them when they come for reunions) Wasn't there an "all year" one in recent years?

What happened to the Delmars?
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM

The last weekend in July is always an "all-year" reunion with the "numbered" reunions having their party on Sat night. The Delmars went their separate ways--two got married right away, one to VietNam. Had a reunion two years ago in PV--we live (in Norcal) near one of the other members. DH is still rockin--just as a passion--plays with SIL (bass) and son (drums) at the family get-togethers. Cheers!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
lvk

Hi MBNancy,
I doubt there was any dancing going on in that tiny little space. There is barely any room for the waiter to move between tables.

trippinforfun, I thought of another casual HB seafood place: Fat Face Fenners Fishack on the 2nd floor looking down onto Pier Ave., a great place for people watching. Although it's a seafood place, their burgers are legendary.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Hey Thanks for all the great suggestions. Sounds like we'll get some great food! Forgot to ask about a good pizza place in Hermosa, any input?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Love Uncle Bill's for breakfast. If you go there try their potato stroganoff.

All you South Bay residents, thanks for the list of restaurants. My DD lives in Redondo and is college student. Often I stop in to see her on my way home from LA and take her to dinner. She has lived there already for more than a year but being a college student, she can't afford to eat out much. We are always trying to figure out where to go for dinner. So now I have a list!!

I stayed at the The Hermosa Beach house one night for business. Great hotel. I had an inside room but it was great. I got up and walked along The Strand from the Hermosa Pier to the Manhattan Beach pier. It was a great way to start the morning. That and my Starbucks which is about a block from the hotel!!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
lvk

Paula, let us know if you need any other South Bay restaurant rec.'s.

trippin'- I mentioned Pedone's, which would be my 1st choice for pizza. On Pier Ave., there is also a Zeppy's, which sells pretty good pizza by the slice.

I thought of another restaurant that might be fun for your teens. The Union Cattle Company is a steak house that has a mechanical bull. (You might get some of that in Utah, but it is a novelty here at the beach )

Also, please note that on the weekends, any breakfast place at the beach will have quite a long wait for a table. Plan accordingly.

PS: I left a warning about the bars on Pier Ave after dark on your margarita thread.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM

lvk-I didn't see your post yet on the Margarita thread but I am glad you mentioned something about the bars on Pier Ave. I was in the area on a Saturday afternoon probably around 4pm. My DD wanted to go eat in Hermosa. Even at that time of day, the bars were full and everyone was pretty loud. I am sure many of them had been drinking all afternoon. So I can just imagine what the evenings would be like.