Help with trip to NY for daughter

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with trip to NY for daughter

I finally decided on a trip to Manhattan for my daughter's graduation gift from college. I am sending her and her boyfriend to Manhattan for 5 night.

Can anyone help with an plan. She probably won't visit museums. The main touristy things and the nightlife will be on their agenda. She is staying around 8th and 51 St. in Manhattan.

They arrive at 8:00 a.m. from California on Saturday morning in early September. They leave late afternoon on Thursday.

Can you all provide me with logical ideas, so that she is not backtracking. Also, any cool restaurants and night clubs that might appeal to a 25 year old. I am so proud of her receiving her master's degree in counseling and really want their experience to be wonderful. P.S. the boyfriend is buying the ring to propose probably while on the trip.

Thanks

Karen
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM

ttt
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Just give her a copy of Eyewitness Top Ten, Access NYC...and let them figure it out.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM

If she's 25 and has a degree in counseling I'm sure she can figure this out for herself. Or come and ask if she really wants the advice.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I'd recommend Sara Beth's for brunch, and Foley's Fish House for any meal [primarily for the great view of Times Square]. I can't imagine not finding at least one museum of interest, but if she's not interested, there are certainly plenty of typical touristy things to do.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM

- Union Square Greenmarket on Saturday morning
- Prune for dinner (East Village)
- Bungalow 8 (club - doesn't get happening until 2am or so)
- The Spotted Pig (English pub)
- Angel's SHare (local late late hangout in the East Village)

For great restaurants for proposing I suggest
- Union Square Cafe (small, quaint, and great for a walk afterwards)
- Nobu
- Bouley Bakery

http://www.eatsleepgo.com/NYC-Manhattan.html for hotel/restaurant reviews and a map of all the reviewed places.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:20 PM
irish13girl

I highly reccomend NOBU and Balthazar in Soho. We were there last weekend and truly enjoyed both. We are around the same ages.

Kindly,
Tiffany

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM

For proposing, the Bethesda Fountain, in the heart of Central Park would be my best suggestion. It would be truly memorable, and they can go back and visit the next time they are in NY.

I would suggest getting them a Zagat guide for their trip so wherever they are, they can find a good restaurant.

Where they are staying is close to alot of neighborhood restaurants, reasonable priced and a bit further down 8th Ave are some very nice places for an intimate dinner.

There are alot of restaurants in the city that have gardens where you sit outside, I'm sure they can find a couple of those. And ALOT of restaurants have cafe seating, so they can enjoy watching the city go by.

Columbus Ave would be an excellent place to recommend walking and searching out a good restaurant, anything above 67th St.

Where they are staying is close to Central Park, and several subway and bus lines so they will be able to get around easily.

Also they might enjoy a trip on the Staten Island Ferry, the lights in the city on the way back are truly spectacular.

They might enjoy shopping and picking out a china pattern at Tiffany's or Fortunoff's on 5th Ave.

Hope they have a great time while they are here.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Momofuko in the East Village on First Avenue and 10th Street is cheap and great for lunch or dinner..lots of chefs eat there....bar seating.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM

First time I read through this thread I was going to post some ideas, but then I went back and read the OP a 2nd time.

MS degree in counseling, 25years old, about to become engaged.......and Mom's planning the trip to NY.

MOM: Congratulations DD on your graduation. For a present, I'm giving you and your BF a trip to NY. Here are your plane tickets, and here's your day to day itinerary....

Something's wrong with this picture in my mind MOM. Give your daughter the gift of a good guidebook, or point her to this forum to ask her own questions.

If you want their experience to bw wonderful, the best thing you could do would be to treat her like a 25yr old and send her on her way.

Time to cut the cord mom.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM

I think this is a great gift! Why don't you get a good guide book (Maybe Eyewitness Guide to NYC) and a Streetwise Manhattan street map and wrap them up, give them to hear and tell her you are treating her and the BF to a trip. Planning a trip is half the fun, and she may have specific things that she would like to do or see. You can also show her this site and maybe she will want to post her queries here, or read through the NYC threads for ideas.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM

In terms of restaurants, nightlife & shopping, guidebooks are out-of-date the day they are printed.

Search this forum for tons of great restaurant & nightlife ideas (click 'Gekko' for many threads).

Other resources for your daughter include Citysearch, Sheckys, and Time Out New York.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Gekko is right, I wouldn't use a guide book for restaurants, but she will need one to plan a loose itinerary and to get an overviews of the neighborhoods etc.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Thank you to those who recommended some interesting sounding places. I will pass this page on to her.

Now, Mr. or Mrs. IPODROBBIE - New York is a big city and they only have 5 days. I was only trying to get a few good suggestions. My daughter would appreciate the advise - and then choose what she would like to do. I had no intention of designing her intineray. I really dislike sarcastic comments - this forum is to help people!