Search

Help me organize my whirlwind trip!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me organize my whirlwind trip!

Hello all,

Will be arriving early Friday morning 5/13 leaving mid-afternoon Sunday 5/15. Trying to schedule my days in a way that makes the most of our time. We are two women in our 40s and my 11 yr. old daughter. Shopping and eating are high on the list of priorities as well as some major sightseeing. Here's list, please help me organize my time. Staying in Mid-town at the Belvedere.

Must Dos

Statue of Liberty (Staten Island Ferry OR 2 hr. Circle Line Sunset Harbor Cruise)

Shop Soho, Village, Canal St. (always open?)

1 hr. Bike ride in Central Park

Met. Museum of Art or MOMA (can't decide)

2:00 Saturday matinee to see Wicked (already have tix)

See Grand Central Station

See St. Patrick's Cathedral

Top of Empire State Bldg.

Times Square at night

Like To Dos

NY Water Taxi from South St. Seaport to Grimaldi's Pizza and Ice Cream Fatory, Walk it off across the Brooklyn Bridge

Visit Trump Plaza Hotel

Lunch/Snack or just use the restroom at Tavern on the Green

Visit Ground Zero to pay respects

See Rockefeller Center (anything really to see???)

TRL/MTV viewing in Times Square Fri. 5-6 pm

Please feel free to copy and paste with your feedback next to each item. I know it is a long list, I'm just hoping that if I'm efficient....

Thanks in advance for your response!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Glad than you're planning on Times Square at night---even during daylight hours, it is such a riveting place! (I always pride myself on stocking-up on the "I *love* NY" shirts for as low as $2/each!) I would make a special point to visit the Little Italy area---we always enjoy the old family-owned bakeries there. I'd also suggest that since you're staying in midtown, to go to Rockefeller Center: during the warmer months, they turn the actual ice rink into a lovely outdoor bistro (nice breeze, umbrella-covered tables). Great shopping nearby; my husband always nags me: "Out of all of the terrific shops on or near 5th Avenue, you end-up at the Gap!" Well, it's true.....and I can't help it. I don't know at which theatre "Wicked" is playing, but across from the Ambassador Theatre, there is this great little authentic Italian restaurant (looks somewhat questionable from the entrance), and it was fabulous! I cannot remember the name......(a big help, I'm sure)....Red double-decker tourist bus is around $38 for all-day stops in Midtown. (Others routes available for Battery Park, etc.) Great place to dine in Greenwich Village (and another near the University): Caliente Cab Company. Delicious Mexican food----guacamole is actually made-to-order right before your very eyes! Indoor dining available, or alfresco in a bistro-type setting; look for the older-model yellow cab parked in front of the restaurant, appropriately marked: "Caliente Cab Co."
We travel to Manhattan 3-4 times a year (always seemingly whirlwind trips, as well), so I make an attempt to try something new / different each time---although I am a huge fan of sticking with a "sure thing." Interested in reading your trip report, upon your return! (P.S>: Wear comfortable shoes!!!)
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM

I'm sorry but you can't accomplish this is the time you have. At best you will be running around like madwomen and you will be exhausted. If shopping and eating and the matinee are the priorities, do that. The Met is open late on Fri and Sat., MOMA I think just Fri. I would forget about the Empire State. Lines are long and it's a time consuming thing. Go up to the Rainbow Grill for a drink instead. It's not as high, but it's more pleasant. Decide how important the Statue is. If yes, then maybe consider a dinner cruise one night. I hear the Bateaux NY cruise is good. Go for a bike ride on Sat. morning and have brunch at the Boat House before the show. Your hotel is just north of Times Square so seeing it at night is not a problem.

Just relax and have fun. Hopefully you'll all be back again.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:31 PM

I hurriedly read through your post and then went back to look at how much time you have and nearly lost it!

You've got to be kidding. The water taxi/Grimaldi's/Brooklyn Bridge can't be done on Saturday as it won't allow you to get back in time for the matinee. So that means that takes care of your total Sunday (and rushing it at that) -- is Grimaldi's even open for Sunday lunch?

Do a couple of those things on Friday after you get there, and a couple more after your show on Saturday -- and that is it. You need to pick and choose.

On a trip like this I think trying to hit any museum for an hour or less just to say you've been there is a total waste. Don't go to one of those museums unless you have time to enjoy them -- and you don't.

I think your idea of just using the restroom at Tavern on the Green is the best one yet! Many people probably wish that's what they had done instead of eating there.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Agree with Patrick that you really don;t have time for either of the useums - to see anything you really need to give it several hours - and you just don;t have that.

You don;t give your exact arrival and departure times - but you really have one full day (including a matinee) and parts of two others - time for shopping and eating - and seeing one thing each day - not really any more.

I too would avoid the ESB - people are reporting the lines to be horribly long - in the hours.

I would cut back a lot, relax and enjoy what you do rather then stress yourselves out completely.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM

I agree that you don't have time to do everything on your list. Prioritize and plan to come back.

Here's what I'd do.

Land at your hotel. Grab lunch somewhere nearby - perhaps a deli. Buy 2 day tickets on the double-decker bus and jump on and take a tour and get your bearings. You can use this for transportation for the next two days. You'll go by Empire State Building. See how long the line is and plan to come back on Sunday if it's too long. Walk to Grand Central. Grab a snack in the food court if you are hungry.

Depending on what time it is, head over to TRL or head north to Roc Center and look around. See St Pat's. Head north on 5th avenue and window shop.

Take a carriage ride into Central Park. Plan to come back and do the bike ride on Sunday morning "if there is time".

Saturday - head south via bus, subway or cab to Canal Street and Chinatown. Pick out TWO shops to see in SoHo.

Head over to Ground Zero.

Cab or subway it back up to midtown for the show. Eat lunch in SoHo or Midtown.

I'd cut out the SoHo shopping and head up sooner to go to the Frick Museum, but y'all want to shop. I like the Frick because it is small and intimate with amazing masterpieces. Plan to go to one of the other museums on Sunday morning "if you have time".

You could squeeze in the Sunset Harbor Cruise here if you have to.

Sunday morning - fit in whatever you wanted to see but didn't get to see yet.

PS - My favorite meals in NYC are often take-out in my hotel room during late afternoon/early evening while we put our feet up for a while and rest before heading out again. My treat is an egg-salad sandwich from my favorite deli - makes me really feel "home" in NYC.