Best route traveling to Long Island for a wedding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are invited to a wedding at Miller Place, Long Island on Sat, May 7 at 12:30pm.
We will be coming from Northwest Jersey near Washington/Hackettstown area. Not really familiar with Long Island, could anyone give us the direct route there and how long it would approx take?
thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM

GWB to the Deegan, Grand Central to the end which is rt 347, to 25A, to Miller place road.

Direct as can be.
About 2 hours
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:31 AM

I'm afraid cyberUK is a little confused. (The Deegan is in the Bronx and the Grand Central is in Queens - they don;t connect -- and you don;t need either one.)

I would suggest you get a map and exact directions from mapquest - but bascially you need to

Cross the GWB
Take the Cross Bronx to the Throgs Neck Bridge
Take the Cross Island Parkway to the Northern State Parkway
Follow Northern State Parkway to end (becomes 25A)

I would leave at least 2.5 hours - more if you want to be safe from traffic/constrcution delays

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Sunnyboy

Actually if you take the Major Deegan south from the GW bridge it connects with I278 (Bruckner Exppressway) which inturn connects to the Grand Central Parkway that then becomes the Northern State Parkway. That said, nyraveler's directions are actually the better way to go from NJ. Just keep in mind when connecting from the Cross Island Parkway to the Northern State Parkway the signs will say Grand Central Parkway (it's the same road and changes names at the NYC/Nassau County line which is actually 2 or 3 miles further east of the Cross Island/Grand Central interchange).

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:06 AM

I disagree, the Cross Bronx expway route should be avoided. Taking the Throgs Neck would be a mistake because of this.

Deegan to the Tribourough,to the Grand Central(taking it to the end would BE Northern state pkway) avoids this nightmare route
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Disagree with cyber UK - they're still doing contruction on both the Triborough Bridge and the Grand Central in the area of LAG and Shea. Even on Saturday the lane changes can easily cause delays. Have done this trip many times and the Cross Bronx to the Throgs Neck is much easier/faster.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
sandi

Hard to believe anyone would send a wedding (or any other type function) without driving instructions?

Just use mapquest (or similar)... put in your address and that of your destination and see what comes up. It may be similar or completely different from those posted.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice...we will do a mapquest also. I guess we better leave early to get there on time.