Search

The Hamptons in Five Days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hamptons in Five Days

Hi all:

My wife and I are taking our first trip to The Hamptons, arriving via Columbus by Miata on Sat. 8/20, staying through Friday 8/26. And we can use some expert help. First question: Any hints on avoiding traffic coming thru NY or NJ and on into Long Island on Saturday morning?

We're staying in Sag Harbor at the Baron's Cove Inn. Second question: Anyone heard of it or stayed there before? Should I consider elsehwere (if I can get in).

We'd like to see both the North Fork and South Fork. So, third question: Any suggested itineraries (3 days South, 2 days North, etc.). We enjoy driving around in the convertible, so that's not an issue.

Thanks much. I look forward to hearing from you!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM
QC

Yes, GO VERY EARLY.

Traffic in the Hamptons is a NIGHTMARE during the summer. Keep in mind there is only one highway on the South Fork once you get past Riverhead, and everyone has to take it to go anywhere. The North Fork will be much less congested, and in my opinion, is much nicer.

If you depart early Saturday AM, you can expect little to moderate traffic on the Long Island Expressway (I-495) from the East River all the way out. However, it will be a much nicer drive to take the Southern State Parkway and then Sunrise Highway (27) out to the East End, and no trucks are permitted on roads designated as 'parkways' in New York State. The Southern State was designed for leisure motoring.

If you are coming from New Jersey, you can take Outerbridge Crossing, Rte. 440/I-278 across Staten Island, and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which feeds directly into the Belt Parkway (this road turns into the Southern State eventually). #1 rule of New York driving is : do not go into Manhattan unless you are going to Manhattan.

Don't miss Greenport on the North Fork and Montauk Lighthouse on the South.

I also suggest against driving from Columbus straight through to Sag Harbor. It's called LONG Island for a reason. Your drive will be the equivalent of driving non-stop to Providence, RI.

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM

You posted this same thing yesterday.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...612&dirtyBit=1
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM

If you are more specific about what you would like to experience I can help you with the eastern end of the North Fork.....I imagine you already know about our wineries...?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks QC for the driving tips. We'll take your advice on the Southern Parkway. Was already planning on seeing Greenport and Montauk, so thanks for the confirmation.

ekscrunchy, thanks for the offer on North Fork east end. Wineries were on the list, Greenport, and just general sightseeing to get the "feel" of the North Fork.

Leaving tomorrow, so thanks for the input, and I'll let you know how it goes when I return. Take care.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Hope I'm not too late. Didn't see this post yesterday. Current weather report predicts some thunderstorms today, tomorrow and and Sunday but it's beautiful, sunny and cool right now.

You may find lots of traffic using the Belt Parkway on a Saturday. It's the way a lot of people go to the beach. Not sure what the solution is though.

I would actually use your arrival day, Sat. to see the North Fork as you head out. Stay on the LIE to the end and do some of the wineries on your way to Sag Harbor. You may find less traffic going that way too. Also, don't know if you're interested in outlet shopping but Tanger Mall is in Riverhead and would be on your way coming or going. So I would do the North Fork on your way in and out. It's 2 ferries away from Sag Harbor from Greenport. There's a great restaurant in Greenport called the Frisky Oyster open only for dinner. You need a reservation.

Baron's Cove should be fine. The location is certainly nice across from the water. You may get some noise on the Sat. night. There's been a problem with the rest/club on the property.

The Beacon rest. across the way is quite good but pricey. The sunset views from their deck are gorgeous. They don't take reservations so it's first come first served. Do a sunset dinner there one night.

So a reco itinerary

Sat. stop along the way on the North Fork.

Sun. Stay in Sag Harbor to avoid Sun. traffic. Have a wander around the shops. Maybe go to the Whaling museum. Brunch at JLX Bistro across from the water is nice or for more casual, further along Water St., the place across from the marina.

Monday you might do Bridgehampton and Southampton. Channing Daughters vineyard is in Bridgehampton. Wolffer Estate vineyard is in Sagaponack, right next to Bridgehampton. Beautiful spot and good wine. Duck Walk vineyard is in Water Mill on the way to Southampton.

Tuesday take a drive to Montauk. Stop at Cyril's for lunch or dinner(take the old Montauk Highway nearest the ocean to pass it). Very good fresh seafood in a casual "shack on the road". You could stop in East Hampton on the way or coming back or save that for another day.

You might like to spend a half day on Shelter Island which you will go across getting from the North Fork to the South. Sunset Beach is a motel/restaurant that sits on a lovely bay beach. The restaurant is a bit pricey but a transporting experience. If you like mussels, their moules frites (mussels and french fries) are great. Go for lunch and then sit on their beach for a few hours.

Hope this helps. If you're still around, post back if you need more info or more restaurant recos.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM

for the north fork, you should go to the lenz winery. the south fork, the best is wolffer. the thing about the traffic is, there is just 1 road to get out there. there really is no way to avoid it. for instance, i was in east hampton, on a monday afternoon in the summer, and traffic was stopped all together. just relax, enjoy the scenery and try to keep your sanity! i agree with qc...north fork is more nice, and slightly less crowded. sag harbor is my personal favorite. have a drink in the cigar bar there.