Help with Sedona Accomodations

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Sedona Accomodations

We're planning 3-4 nights at sedona/GC. Some options we're thinking of :

1 night at GC, 2-3 nights in sedona.

If we can't get reservations in the park, we'll make the entire stay in sedona, and take a day trip to gc. We don't plan to hike to the bottom, but want to stay for a sunrise/sunset.

W'll be driving from the LA area. What is the quickest route to the south rim park entrance? Should we take the route from 10 East and through pheonix?

We have some options in sedona and would like to hear your suggestions. I've read EVERYTHING on this board with regard to these places, but would like more information. We're looking for a romantic place. Other than Enchantment which may be out of our range, which of the following would you recommend? All of these are 4 diamond AAA b&b. We don't care for pools, or tennis courts, etc. Just want to make sure the rooms are private, in a nice location, and SQUEAKY clean (very particular about this point). Also, I don't know the locations of these inns, so I would need someplace that would be easy access to the attractions, not in an extremely remote location. Also, since these places have breakfast, we want the option of eating in our room or patio, rather than a communal breakfast with other guests.

- Canyon Villa
- Adobe Village and Graham Inn
- Alma de Sedona Inn
- Apple Orchard Inn
- Casa Sedona
- Inn on Oak Creek
- Southwest Inn at Sedona

Finally we are looking for a truly special and memorable experience. Another choice which I found highly recommended here was L'Auberge - and I'm not sure why it is rated 3 diamond AAA if it is truly special. I would like to hear comments from anyone who's stayed here in the last 3 months - as they told me all rooms have been completely renovated within the last 1-3 months.

Please help us decide. No kids with us on this trip. Thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM

Even if you don't stay at Enchantment, I'd recommend going there for lunch or dinner or at least a drink as the setting for the restaurant is worth going to visit (food was very good too). Also, you can take a hike that starts at the resort and is a very good hike.

Have a good time.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:25 PM

We stayed at Grand Hotel in Tusayan last week. It is probably about a 5 minute drive to the entrance of the park. I recommend it. If you book through the internet, you get a 15% discount.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:33 PM

My husband spent three nights at L'Auberge de Sedona in March. It was really lovely! We went on to stay a few nights at the Ritz-Carlton at Lake Las Vegas and it was not nearly as enjoyable.

We stayed in a "cabin" but it's not what your imagination conjures up. These are stand-alone units that look like cabins on the outside but the accommodations are quite upscale on the inside. Ours had been completely remodeled and all the furnishings were new.

Each cabin has a porch with two Adirondack chairs and a small table. It was great to sit out there and eat breakfast and read the paper. Our cabin was at the end of the property and was only a few feet away from Oak Creek! It truly was beautiful and romantic. We spent a lot of time watching the ducks playing on the creek.

The room itself has a king-size bed, large sitting area with wood-burning fireplace, sofa, chair, and TV. The bathroom is a bit on the small side and there's not a ton of space for luggage. But, that being said, I think the cabins are probably the nicest accommodations on property. (Less expensive rooms are available at the main lodge and at its sister property, The Orchards.)

The rooms were well-maintained and housekeeping did a great job replenishing the wood supply for the fire, etc. They also put fresh flowers in the room every day (at least they did when we were there).

The restaurant (L'Auberge) is also wonderful and you should definitely dine there whether or not you stay on property. The service is top-notch and the wine list is spectacular! We live in NYC and are always a bit weary of dining at supposed "5-star" establishments in other areas but this was the real deal. A terrific experience! Try the tasting menu. It's a great deal and the food and wine matchings are superb.

Also, for another restaurant recommendation, try the Cowboy Cafe on Main Street. Great people, wonderful wine list, and a varied menu with upscale dishes and BBQ. We loved it.

Hope this helps!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:47 PM

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Graham B&B Inn about 5 years ago, and very much enjoyed it. It was a really warm, welcoming B&B -- our room had a sitting area and a bed so comfortable I still remember it. Overall a nice, upscale feel. (5 years later, I also still remember the pecan waffles and fruit smoothies served for breakfast.) Funny how we remember minute details from great vacations! The casitas were really nice, if perhaps a bit over the top on their themes. The only drawback is that the location is suburban, a few miles outside of the town center. Overall a really enjoyable short stay!