Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Victor Hotel in South Beach-- When Will It Open...?

Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

This is more curiosity than anything else. I will be in South Beach July 4th weekend and will be staying up the street from the Victor, which is finally (after 18 years boarded up) being renovated. Has anyone in the Miami area heard when it's slated to open? It'd be cool to tour it when I'm there....
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:17 PM
GoTravel

Last I heard was in the Fall of 2003.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks-- I'd heard that, but was hoping it might be a bit earlier. It is a great old building, I was hoping to get a look inside. Oh well....
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
GoTravel

rjw, a lot of times hotels have what is called a soft opening earlier than the official dates. If that is the case and they are ahead of schedule, they usually offer a reduced rate. At the very least, I would see if you could have a tour. One of my girlfriends is in management with a hotel and would have to tour meeting planners around while the hotel was still under construction.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
OliveOyl

It's a Hyatt did you know? The cost per room was something incredible...enough to make one wonder how it will ever be profitable.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel: I see. I'm hopeful (I'm an architecture freak)!

OliveOyl, I had heard that this was going to be a VERY upscale Hyatt property-- I also think there will be a small number of residence units on the property. It will be interesting to see how far Hyatt will take it-- and how long they'll own it.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
OliveOyl

It will be very upscale, yes. As I recall, the GM (already on board) is a European style, hired from outside the company. That's my recollection anyway, although my "source" is still at work so I can't verify if I'm recollecting correctly. gt;

Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:55 PM

Sounds very interesting

http://southeast.construction.com/SE...ure6_feb03.htm

Old May 2nd, 2003, 03:27 PM
OliveOyl

Thanks for the link Beach Boi. Well, the article told what I wasn't going to mention, so it's no secret. When we last saw it in December, the interior had been gutted. Perhaps it was beyond repair, but I would have liked to have seen something of the old interior remain. "No expense has been spared", and hopefully the boutique concept is an enduring one, not a flash in the pan!

Old May 2nd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Good link. I hadn't seen the article at all. Not surprising that the interior had deteriorated so much. Other property renovations in the District hit major roadblocks as buildings crumbled from years of neglect (the Royal Palm and the Sasson/Setai, for example). But it sounds like it's going to be incredible when they're done-- I sure hope it's worth it.