help with pet friendly hotel in savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Savannah for a two night stay on our way to Florida. We travel with our small Shihtzu and are looking for a hotel that's convenient to the historic district, pet friendly for small pets, and, of course, clean. I read about Jones on Jones B&B and wondered if anyone has ever stayed there. Otherwise it looks like the Holiday Inn on Abercorn.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM

The East Bay Inn allows pets - right in the historic district. Reserve early because only the first floor rooms are pet friendly rooms. A lovely hotel/ inn right in the midst of things.

There's another new suite hotel downtown that allows pets - but is really pricey. I'll check to see which one it was.

Hope you get a place in the Historic District. Have a good trip!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM

It's the new Staybridge Suites in the Historic District - part of the Holiday Inn/ ichotelsgroup.com chain.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM

We've stayed at both the East Bay and the Staybridge and enjoyed both very much.

Our room at the East Bay was one with a private patio - you might find that ideal for your dog.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM

One word about the East Bay Inn. It's is a genuine old inn. Old building - with everything that goes along with it. I'm not sure WHAT is was - squeeky floors in the hall? thinner walls? ghost? - but my pup was not happy in the room by herself for less than an hour.

Now, I have to admit that I have the most wonderful pup in the world (sorry, Scarlett). She is one step up from a cardboard cut-out of a dog. She'll settle in on her blanket ANYWHERE we go and not move for HOURS. I tell folks this, but they don't believe it until they see it. I don't "make" her do it - that's her personality. She rarely barks. Doesn't wolf down her food. Eats daintily. Ignores all dogs and cats. The lowest maintenance dog ANYONE I know has EVER seen.

She was frantic to get out of that room just a few minutes after we checked in. I'd left my cell phone number at the front desk and we'd not even ordered lunch at Lady and Sons (no wait BTW) when I got a call from the hotel.

They were as nice as they could be. In fact, the innkeeper was walking her in the park when I walked the few blocks back to the hotel. But, she did not like being left in that room by herself. She spent the rest of the days there at "day camp" at a local vet's. She was fine with us in the room - just not alone.

She's never done it before or since. Again, I have no idea what bothered her so much, but the newer Staybridge might be a better option if you plan to leave your pup in the room.

ps - the innkeeper was not surprised. He said it had happened with other dogs as well. I'm guessing "ghost" - but it may be as simple as squeaky floors
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:20 AM

Hey starrs. This is good to know. I've had a hard time finding a place that accepts pets in the historic district.

But your new friend in Jasper with the soulful eyes takes issues with who is the most wonderful dog in the world And he sends you licks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM

Thunderbird Inn offers select pet-friendly rooms at their modernized retro hotel in downtown Savannah's historic district. The pet is treated like a guest too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
tarabrats, this thread is two years old. I know you like the Thunderbird and all, but how many threads are going to be topped to promote it?