Help with Kauai accomidations, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Beth

Hello,

I am planning our first ever family vacation with my husband and 21 year old son in Kauai, and would be so thankful for your help and wisdom. I have used my x class milage to earn these plane tickets, and need to find a place to stay.

We would like to be on the beach, but not hear airport noise. None of us drink, so nightlife is not an big issue. I would like to in a good area with sun and some shade, but have to respect our budget. It would be nice to have a pool as well, and be nearby resturants, but not in a city type atmosphere. My husband is a Master maine Guide and woudl like to fish, and my son would do almost any watersport.

I have poured over these posts for hours (which is how I picked Kauai) but have not found a place to stay yet, and was hoping for some insight. Also, does one absolutely need to rent a car?

Thank you so much for your insight,
Beth

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Sharon

Hi Beth! You will really enjoy your trip to Kauai with the family. Have you considered a condo as opposed to a hotel room. You get a lot more square feet and can usually save some $$$$ by having breakfast, snacks etc. "at home"! You might have a look at the Kiahuna Plantation in the Poipu area for a start.

As to renting a car...in my opinion you do need a car to get the most out of your trip. There will be many places you want to see and for comfort and convenience a rental car is the way to go!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Jane

Renting a condo is an excellent choice because it helps save on food costs which like everything, is pricey in Hawaii. Kauai is known for it's quietness and a friend of mine stayed in a condo there for two weeks and loved it. Staying on the beach is great but does add significantly to your lodging costs. Sometimes you can be across the street from the beach and save a lot in lodging costs. Staying in a cottage might also be an option.There are 40 beaches on the island! If you choose to stay in hotel the Outrigger and Aston Hotel chains often have plans where the fourth or fifth night is free. Tell your husband there is both deep sea fishing and fresh water fishing in manmade waters available. Do you know which part of the island you would like to stay on? You definitely will want a car or it will limit you a lot. There is a bus system but it only transports to the towns and does not stop at hotels. It operates during the day. If you are interested contact me by e-mail and I can help you with more of the specifics. www.gosmartravel.com

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:15 PM
lisa

Kauai is a great pick. We loved it. It is very laid back. The south side, Poipu, is the sunniest, but it is not desert. The north side is the most beautiful. (Hanalei is the most beautiful place I can imagine on earth,) It's the wetter side, though, so we chose not to stay there. The eastern side is in between and doesn't seem quite as pretty, but I'm sure it has great places to stay. It has the town, Lihue, in it.

We stayed at Poipu. It was wonderful. Kiahuna Plantation is great but considerably more expensive than some of the other Poipu condos. This is because it is the only condo development with actual beach oceanfront. (It shares the beach with the Sheraton Hotel.) Many of the units are back from the beach, though.

We stayed at a small newer condo complex within a three or four minute walk to the beach called the Alihi Lani. It has a small pool and is across a small road from the ocean. (nothing between it and the ocean) All the units look over the ocean. It was great.

There are other condo complexes around that are even less expensive. Different management companies handle different units. Some units are older, some are newer. Some may have furnishings that are a bit older. These are generally less expensive. You just need to know what you are getting. You can find lots of information searching the internet and talking to the major management companies.

Good luck!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:16 PM
p.

Beth,
Fully agree regarding condo vs just a room. You don't say what time of year you're going. I'm in love with the north shore but a more practical area to stay for all around convenience is around Kapa'a / Wailua... take a look at a map (and notice that you can't drive all the way around the island).
We met a couple last month who had just stayed at : http://www.svchawaii.com/resorts/kauaicoast.htm
Said it was excellent, newly renovated and they only paid $100/night .. your mileage may vary !
I believe the majority of boat related trips now depart from the south / southwest side so that's perhaps another reason to be centrally located. Regarding a car, I'd hate not to have one there, there's so much to enjoy just cruising around.
Lastly, get the relevant book from www.wizardpub.com or your local Borders/Barnes & Noble etc, you won't regret it. Oh, don't forget the island's official offering, the "Vacation Planner" booklet at: http://www.kauaivisitorsbureau.com/
It's free and has lots of pics, maps & info. etc
Have a wonderful trip, it's a glorious place.
p.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Beth

I am sorry I forgot to post my travel dates- end of August.
Beth

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Laurie

Beth,
We also are from Maine and headed to Kauai and BI this summer. I have changed my resevations on Kauai twice already... (first-Islander on the Beach and then Best Western Plantation Hale Suites). I think we have finally settled on the Kiahuna Plantation that 2 of the above posters mentioned. We got a great rate of 99.00/night because our unit (condo) will be near some construction. We have decided to take a chance because the noise is supposed to be from 8AM to 4PM only. (Would love to hear from anyone with recent experince at this facility.) Last year on Maui we never really adjusted to the change in time zone so we were always up and off for the day very early. If you do decide not to rent a car and will be staying right at the resort, this probably wouldn't be for you. I would definitely rent a car-we got the best rate through Alamo and decided to go with them despite some of the comments on this board-we will hope for the best!!! There is so much to see and do on all the islands but a car really is needed. I know you'll have a great time where ever you choose to stay.