Search

portland maine

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 01:47 PM
kathy

portland maine

Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in Portland Maine as well as a good restaurant.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:03 PM
joesorce

On the high end, the Eastland downtown, on the moderate side, the Comfort Inn Airport. The West End Inn is a nice bed & breakfast.

Dining choices are many and varied, just pick your cuisine and ask your front desk attendant at the hotel for a recommendation nearby. For American we like Davids, for Italian The Roma Cafe.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:25 PM
Eva

Portland is a great city for restaurants. For sushi/Japanese try Benkay on India St. I second the recommendation for Davids in Congress Sq. Good breakfasts at Beckys down on the water. Perfettos and Walters have great calamari--they are located on Exchange St. in the Old Port. On Spring St. Katahdin Cafe is great as is Norms on Congress St. and Caffe Uffa in Longfellow Sq. The priciest restaurant is probably Fore St. (guess what st. this one is on). Their food is wonderful but if your budget is a little tighter then any of the other ones will do. Oh and Street and Co. on Wharf St has fabulous seafood.
As for hotels, Holiday Inn By the Bay is decent--some good views. The Eastland was undergoing some serious trouble the last time I was there. Lack of staff, new ownership etc. If they have worked the kinks out it could be decent. The Regency is probably the best though. Happy to answer any Portland questions. Enjoy!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:17 PM
mare

Eva: I've heard people mention "Beal's Ice Cream", do you know where it is? Any other good ice cream finds around Portland? Also, have you heard of a nice hotel around Cape Elizabeth?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:20 AM
pam

The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth is lovely (and $$$). That's about it for the Cape. If you're looking for something less expensive, right next door, in South Portland, you'll find all the standard fare - Ho Jo's, Best Western, Hampton Inn, etc.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:27 AM
Eva

Kathy- Beals ice cream is fantastic. It is locted in the Old Port section of town near many great restaurants and shops. I can't remember which street it is on though.
As for hotels in Cape Elizabeth, the pnly one that comes to mind is the Inn By The Sea. I don't know anything about it though. Their # is 207-799-3134 if you want to give them a try. Most of the hotels/motels that serve that area are found in South Portland which is very close to Cape Elizabeth. Keep in mind however that they are found in a busy area of malls, restaurants and businesses. I don't know if that is an issue but i thought I'd let you know. Enjoy!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Clara

We went to a neat restaurant in Portland called DeMilles. (I may be spelling it wrong.) It was a big steamboat that had been converted into the restaurant. We enjoyed it, but this was a few years ago, and I have no idea if it is still there!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Fiona

We just stayed at the Eastland Park hotel last Friday (5/31) and it was beautiful! From the rooftop lounge you can see part of Casco Bay too.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Pam

Yes Clara, Dimillo's is still there. It's a unique and fun place for a drink but I don't recommend the food. It's generally atrocious. For anyone who's looking for a lobster dinner, go next door to Js Oyster Bar. They usually run a lobster, steamers and corn on the cob special for around $12.99.