Kauai family trip

Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai family trip

Help! I need advice on where to stay. We want to spend a week or so in Kauai THIS july and plan on bring our 3 year old. So, we need a place with 2 rooms. I would love to be at a huge resort but don't really want to pay all the extra cash for a suite.... can someone recoment a place with decent prices for suites or even a home rental on the beach and or next to a large resort? I need to be able to walk do resturants and also be able to easily get back from the beach to my room.
I prefer the poipu area, I think. Any suggestions on which part of the island might be better with kids? I need kinda calm waves.
thanks so much!!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM

In July - the surf should be pretty flat around most of the island I would think, moreso in the mornings.

There were other posts in here under Hawaii about where to stay. I favor the North Shore but there was plenty of advice on the Poipu area as I recall - and you can also get some deals mid-island around Kapaa, etc. Just google and google away.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM

I'd look into renting a condo, Kiahuna Plantation is right on Poipu Beach and has some restaurants within walking distance.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM

Actually, the surf on the south shore picks up during the summer months and can be downright dangerous. We once rescued a dog that was caught in a whirlpool type riptide at Kawailoa Bay in July. It was a scary situation of calling and coaching the dog while trying not to put ourselves in a life threatening situation.

As far as walking to restaurant and beach, Hanalei would be the best choice for a beach house. I don't know anything that would include a resort, and other then public spaces such as lobby, shops and restaurants, pools and beach amenities are not inclusive to neighbors.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM

There are several great condo developments in Poipu area and the shallow area at the Poipu Beach Park will be terrific for your three-year-old! Just make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen.

Take a look at Kiahuna Plantation Resort as noted above, as well as Poipu Kai and Nihi Kai developments. Aston, Suite Paradise and Parrish are management companies which have various condo units within their rental pools, so this is a good place to start.

July is a busy family vacation time on Kauai, so I would suggest you get cracking on securing a nice condo unit.

If you think you would like to stay at a hotel, The Hyatt and the Sheraton would be the only hotel options for you on the South Shore. The Koa Kea is more of an adult retreat.

BTW, there are no swimmable beaches around the center of the Island, i.e., Kapaa with the exception of Lydgate Park, so not a great place for you to stay with your child. North Shore is lovely but there is certainly lots of following for the South Shore as well.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:15 PM

glad you mentioned Kapa'a. Like you said, with the exception of Lydgate which again wouldn't be a walk to lodging, most beaches are risky year round for adults never mind a toddler.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM

I seem to remember a nice beach mid-island - just opposite the old Coco Palms resort - by the round restaurant, if it's still there. We stayed in a condo by there years ago.

But the best beaches are down at Poipu - and in the summer - any number up on the North Shore - where the surf is usually flat. And even though hopefully commonsense would tell one this - if it's kicking up - don't go out unless you are an experienced ocean swimmer. Uno Mas - it's usually calmest in the mornings, and that's when the visibility is the best

We love Ke'e beach - all the way at the end of the road (see if you can catch the green flash when the sun sets ) - and there is a nice long, grassy park at Anini, with restrooms. see: http://www.djhome.net/kauai/beaches/drivebeaches.htm
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM

And check this webpage out for beaches in and around Kapaa - which is just north of the airport/town of Lihue. Seem to be a # of options: http://beaches.uptake.com/hawaii/kapaa/666161909.html
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM

And Lydegate Park is either reopened or scheduled to shortly. It's a great family place - with picnic tables, snorkeling, etc. Again, check to see that there is not big surf, which I have rearely seen on Kauai - except in the winter up at Hanalei. In the summers - the beaches on the south ends of the Hawaiian islands get more surf - and there are always some tricky spots - but rarely do they get the breaks the north facing beaches do in the winter.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/kauai_b...beach_park.php

And just north of Lydgate, across the Wailua river - on the right/Ocean side is the beach I was talking about before - but I don't know the name.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM

Also forgot to mention: There are a ton of condos on the Plateau of Princeville (including our timeshare - the Cliffs Club - where they have a children's pool - http://www.cliffsatprinceville.com/).

The nearby Princeville Center, with a big market and a number of restaurants - is only a couple minutes drive - or a nice walk (perhaps not with a 3 year old though?) http://www.princevillecenter.com/
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM

Guess this webpage wasn't quite right? http://www.cliffsatprinceville.com/
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM

We stayed at Kiahuna when our kids were two and four years old (my son is getting married tomorrow so you know that was a long time ago), and at Waiohai (the Marriott timeshare just about next door to Kiahuna) more recently. Either would be great with a toddler - full condos, with real kitchens, washers & dryers, nice grounds (look at the Travelers' photos on Tripadvisor for realistic pictures). And across the street from a little shopping center with some casual and some nicer dining, as well as about 4 miles from Koloa town (restaurants, shops, ice cream, etc).
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! You have given me a ton of ideas... I am going to start looking into these places today.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM

To be clear about Kauai surf trends, since a poster has given you inaccurate information.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/...urf_trends.php
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM

what about Kealia beach which is around Kapaa for swimming? We love that beach and it has a lifeguard. You might want to check out VRBO for Kauai. July might be cutting it close for rentals with them though. 2nd the Kiahuna - you can walk right onto the beach from there and it is cross the street from a small shoping center with small market and there is an organic market in at the round about at entrance to Poipu and of course the markets in Koloa for shopping. I love Kauai, hope you do too.
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

after looking into some of the suggested options it seems like kiahunna plantation might be the best option. Has anyone stayed there specifically? Is there much within walking distance? I also read something called "baby beach' is close by and that soulds like a good place to take my toddler.
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Yes, I haave stayed at the Kiahuna but it has been several years.but we see it everytime we are at the beach so I know that it is still very nice...walking anywhere - hmmmm depends on what you mean by "anywhere" and what you are looking for...there is the beach, a couple of restaurants- The Plantation, Breneckes, Keoki's, Roys, a couple at the Sheraton to name a few and some vry low key types in the shoppng center right aross the main road. there is also a small grocery mkt in that center for supplies. Baby beach is close as is Poipu beach For major sights you will need to drive.....
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM

**Posters, PLEASE do not comment on ocean size or safety issues if you do not know what you are talking about!!!

Poipu can have dangerously high surf in July. You can always drive elsewhere, but be extremely careful on the south and west sides of the island. The North shore will have the calmest water in July:

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/guides/...urf_trends.php
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM

LOL, I posted that link 4 days ago lcuy!

But there is no LOL when it comes to ocean safety in the middle of the ocean, and warnings cannot be repeated enough. People need to be reminded to post responsibly.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Oops, now I see that Lookin_Glass linked the same page!
Well two warnings are better than none.

I have a family full of surfers, and they all love the south side of Oahu and Kauai during the summer, because the surf can get huge. Good for experienced surfers, bad for rookies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -