Where to stay in Kauai?

Search

Where to stay in Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Kauai?

I am just starting to plan our trip to Kauai for June '08 and I'm unsure of what part of the island to stay. This will be our 1st time on Kauai. I am loooking at renting a condo from VRBO or other recommended. I want to be right on the beach and in an area that is not full of high rise condos. Being able to walk right down to the beach is a priority. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I second iamq's recommendation. The property is lovely, right on the beach, wonderful on-site restaurant with a shopping center across the street with a couple of other good places to eat.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM

I strongly disagree. Poipu, the Southern part of Kauii is crowded and the least "Hawaiian" part of Kauii. Stay at the Marriot in Kapaa. It's close to the airport, very comfortable, very pretty and also right on the beach - but this beach isn't crowded as is the beach in Poipu. Its only a 20 minute drive to Poipu, so you can go to Poipu for dinner if you like.
If you have money and especially if you like horseback riding for beginners, stay at the Princeville Resort in the Northern part of the Island for at least one night -- this is where the most famous pictures and paintings of Kauii are taken - where the clifts are up against the beach. And the waterfall ride at the Princeville stables was incredible fun. By the way, I just came back from Kauii, and went hotel hopping there staying at 3 hotels in three parts of the small Island. Also I highly recommend the movie tour and snokeling on the Nepal Coast. Interestingly, the only part of Kauii, in fact the only part of Hawaii I didnt care for was Poipu which to me was a big crowded tourist trap. Tip: buy heavy duty sunscreen when you get to Hawaii and keep it with you at all times while there.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Think what you will about Poipu, fluff asked for a recommendation for a condo right on the beach. Kiahuna satisfies that requirement very nicely. Have you been to or stayed at Kiahuna? I have and I stand by my recommendation. Some consider Kapa'a a tacky tourist trap as well. Different strokes...

For myself I prefer the north shore, but fluff asked for a recommendation for a condo on the beach and those are rare on the north shore and the one that is is on a non-swimmable beach...as are the beaches at the various condos in Kapa'a by the way.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM

The Marriot in Kapaa had a beautiful highly swimmable beach.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM

fluff asked about a condo recomendation. The ResortQuest Kaua'i Beach (formerly the Marriott Courtyard) is a hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
LilRicky

What about condo or hotel recommendations for Hanalei Bay?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I thought the Marriot was in Lihue...Anyway Kapa'a doesn't have many swimmable beaches, plus all the traffic.
I've had nothing but the best experience at Kiahuna, love it. You do have to pick your places carefully though. Stay away from Poipu Rd. or any of the out buildings.
In the North shore we had a nice stay at Emmalani Ct. but this year we're planning on staying at Pali Ke Kua. I'm one that advacates for splitting your stay between the North and South. Of coarse you need to be on Island long enough to make that worth it.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM

LilRicky,

There are no condos or hotels ON Hanalei Bay, only vacation rental homes and cottages. The Princeville Hotel and the Hanalei Bay Resort are built on cliffs and hillsides above the eastern edge of the bay however. They overlook the bay.

There are many condo complexes in Princeville that look out over the cliffs toward the ocean, the pali and Mt. Makana (Bali Hai)in the distance. Pali Ke Kua, Sea Lodge, The Cliffs and Puu Poa are a few with nice views of the ocean. There are others too.

There is the Hanalei Colony Resort about 15 minutes up the road from Hanalei that is built directly on the ocean. Great location in Haena.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
LilRicky

iamq,

Thanks. Are you able to compare Hanalei Bay Resort to Hanalei Colony Resort?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM

They are totally different types of places. Find their websites and look them over.

HCR is much smaller than HBR.

HCR resort isn't really a "resort" at all. It's more of a small condo complex on the ocean. Not a lot of hotel services like you would normally find in a "resort". It is very low key. HBR is more of convential resort, however most of the units are actually condominuims with or without hotel room "lockouts". I think some these are timeshare units. Many are available through rental agents and vrbo.com.

HCR is more isolated than HBR. HBR is located in Princeville resort so you have some dining and shopping options there and a 10 minute drive away in Hanalei. Mediterrean Gourmet is the only restaurant in Haena and it's right next to the HCR. Haena is a mostly quiet, country residential area with many of the homes there used as vacation rentals. It is a 15 minute drive to Hanalei.

HBR is built on the cliffs above Hanalei Bay. There is quite a walk down the hill to their beach. HCR is rignt on the beach in Haena. This beach is not recommended for swimming though. 1 mile further is Makua (Tunnels) and Ke'e Beach is another mile past that.

That'll get you started. Check tripadvisor for reviews of them.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM

g2, thank you. i thought there’s been another hotel name change. lihue is the only marriott i know of eastside. and i wouldn’t recommend swimming at any beach in kapaa, another reason i was confused.

back to op, true, hanalei colony and kiahuna are on the beach, but you’ll have to ask yourself if you can live without a/c in june. i’m partial to kiahuna for it’s beautiful grounds, hawaiiana plantation style structure and we like the little waterslide at the pool. i stayed one weekend in july for a wedding, and a ceiling fan was fine with me but then again i didn’t stay in the room during the day. i’ve walked around hcr and find it nice too, but don’t know enough about staying there.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
LilRicky

Last question for the night- - - is anyone familiar with Hale Makai Cottages, near Hanalei Colony Resort?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
kealalani

You want to make sure that the cottages in Haena are not part of the group of homes the state has currently shut down due to conservation rules regarding transients. I'm not sure how quickly Kauai will be in making rulings and possibly grandfathering rentals in rural areas. There is a vague article regarding this in CondeNastTraveller, as well as a kickass article regarding hula which made me think of iamq's hips!

Search, and you will see the controversy of which I speak. You'd be safer looking at private rentals in Hanalei, but even still it is risky during this turbulent time of taking charge of an unpoliced rental pool.

Good luck

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I love Poipu Beach, but I wouldn't stay anywhere on the South shore of Kauai in June without A/C.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I am sorry - I did mean the Marriot in Lihui. Can you call and ask about the beach there - because I remember a beutiful swimmable beach there, but I stayed at so many places I'm not sure anymore. I also remember a tour guide saying that the East coast of Kauai had the most swimmable beaches. By the way because the Princeville Resort is a 5 star hotel they have also managed Beach access, though it's a small beach.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM

ssw, you're referring to kalapaki beach, nawiliwili harbor.

kapaa beaches? maybe for snorkeling in some areas. eastside beaches for swimming? lydgate, wailua and kealia have lifeguards.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:44 AM

If you don't mind a steep trail down to the beach, you can't beat the condo we rented right next to the Princeville Hotel. It was in the pupoa complex and the website is www.kauaidreamer.com we found them thru another traveler that used them on this site and we were 100% satisfied. The only drawback is the steep trail to the beach Hideaways, but that's what keeps it so special. You can always go through the hotel next door to another wonderful beach. Have a great time.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:22 AM

The OP asked about low rise condos that are beachfront. The Marriott in Lihue is a highrise hotel.

I don't swim on beaches on east coast. When we were on island this past August there were two separate incidents involving drownings and rescues. Both were at beaches on the eastside and strong rip currents were cited as being the reason.

Regarding air conditioning in Kaua'i: Other than hotels and large hotel/condo conversions (and I include Hanalei Bay Resort, The Islander, etc), the majority of condos and vacation homes on the island don't have a/c. You can find them, but you have to look for them. The Marriott Waiohai in Poipu has a/c. We've been to Poiou twice in July and our place had good ventalation and fans so we were fine and comfortable. Elsiemoo, do you have suggestions for beachfront condos that are air conditioned? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -