Help with destination

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with destination

I know that this will be a broad based question but I will try and give some interests

We are having a hard time deciding where to go on vacation in 2005. We have 4 airline tickets on Continental that we need to use and are looking to go away either Easter week, the first week of May or anytime during the summer except the last week of August. The tickets can be used to go anywhere

We aren't very active people so things like hiking, rafting, camping, etc are not in our interests.

We mostly like relaxing, sightseeing, beaches.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children ages 10 & 8 and our normal vacations are cruises, Disney World, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Florida in general and we have been to Italy. I have been to other parts of Europe but not the rest of the family

We are looking for something different for 2005 and was hoping some of you out there can give us some of your favorite places to vacation so that we can try and narrow it down.

Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:31 AM

How about Hong Kong? Tokyo?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Anywhere in the world or anywhere in the US?

If you can just use them in the US - Hawaii, Savannah & Charleston, Key West

Worldwide - Australia (although it will be their late fall/winter) or Greek Islands
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:40 AM
E

Well, only you can decide if you'd prefer to stay stateside or go abroad. That said, the UK springs immediately to mind: you could drive around most of England, Scotland and Wales, plus explore London. I would think the kids would enjoy it, as there's such a variety of stuff to do and see. The lack of beaches would make it something different for you...
Another idea stateside is the desert southwest: Grand Canyon, Navajo country, etc. Again, more driving, but an absolutely spectacular part of the country. You wouldn't have to hike far, or really at all, if you didn't want to.

Or you could snorkle and explore Mayan ruins in Belize. Drive around southern France--there are beaches! Photo safari in South Africa--I have friends who rave about this.

But what a nice problem you have! I can think of a million places I'd like to go...
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

E - that is exactly it

We keep changing our minds on where to go, there are so many places we want to see that we can't choose.

Tokyo would be nice but a little out of our budget right now.

Also I meant to include the amount of time we have

Easter we would have 10 days
May only one week
The summer 10-14 days

We can use the airline tickets anywhere in the US and anywhere outside of the US, we would just have to pay the difference from what they originally cost us to what the new tickets would cost, they aren't free tickets
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I guess we would want to stay stateside

given the amount of time we have. Maybe with 10 days we can go to Europe but I wouldn't go further then that
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

I would love to return to the UK

But with the exchange rate killing the dollar I don't know if that would be a wise choice
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Dh & I loved St John in USVI. Beautiful secluded beaches and you can rent a villa for the whole family with your own pool for a very reasonable price. There isn't a lot of nightlife (no malls, movie theatres, etc) but plenty of good restaurants. Very safe as well. You fly in to St Thomas then take a ferry to St John, but you can go back to St Thomas pretty easily for the day/night if you need more excitement!!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping=ttt for ga9497
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:01 AM

I would consider Hawaii...We did a family trip there with our two boys when they were about 10 and 12, and they loved it. Highlights were Volcano National Park on the Big Island, snorkeling with sea turtles, sightseeing. Washington D.C. would also be a neat trip with kids, but with free airline tickets I'd lean toward flying as far as you can! The Yucatan (Cozumel?) in Mexico (beaches, Mayan ruins) might also be of interest. Finally, we went to Puerto Vallarta this spring and loved it...We were surprised at how many activities there were -- zip lining in the jungle, swimming with dolphins, etc. Have fun!