Stop from New York to Tokyo

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop from New York to Tokyo

Hi,

We're planning on going to Tokyo from New York in June. We'll be traveling on Northwest (but havent made reservations) and are thinking of stopping somewhere.

Northwest seems to stop at a few different places - Northern Mariana islands (Saipan), Guangzhou, Hawaii, KL, Osaka. Does anyone have any input/recommendations on these places?? Or places accessible from these cities?

Beaches would be nice, as would hiking. We love places that are out of the way & not touristy.

Many thanks!!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM

All of the places you mention, with the exception Hawaii, are BEYOND Tokyo from NY. They're all different and each have their interesting things.

Apparently, Hawaii would give you nice beaches and hiking.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM

laurenhult,

Are you moving to Tokyo or taking a trip there? Rather than stopping on your way in, why not visit somewhere in or around the city itself?

That being said, I can understand that a 13-hour flight might not sound like fun, either. You could always do a day on the west coast (think Napa) and then hop a flight direct to Tokyo, too. Anything in the Pacific will take as long or longer than Tokyo direct.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM

Hi, Laurenhult!

Glad to hear you'll be visiting Tokyo. I travelled NYC to Tokyo last spring on the non-stop Northwest flight. The flight was good.

HOWEVER, Northwest has since suspended that flight indefinitely due to its bankruptcy filing! Thus if you book with NW, there is no longer the non-stop from JFK. You will simply be shuttled to either Detroit or Minneapolis to catch a non-stop to Tokyo from one of those cities. That shuttle adds 4 hours to your flying time.

Other airlines still retain the JFK non-stop daily to Tokyo: United, Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways, American, Continental out of Newark.

Good luck! Enjoy your flight, whichever one you choose.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM

If you want beaches and hiking, then you want either Northern Mariana or Hawaii. Of the two, I would pick Hawaii primarily because June is supposed to be one of the best months there and because it breaks the air plane trip up pretty nicely, esp if you can get a non-stop to Hawaii and then a non-stop to Tokyo.

I think you will find the Marianas a little lacking in terms of sites and activities UNLESS you are a scuba diver, in which case you might want to go there, as the diving is good and there are Japanese wrecks from WWII. I have been to Guam which is just a bit south, and I know that the Marianas are similar. Also, the Marianas are coral and flat which could make walking a bit dull, as opposed to Hawaii which is volcanic and of course mountainous with good walks and hikes. I also think you would find them a bit overdeveloped with kind of ugly concrete hotel strips full of Japanese tourists along the beaches that might not be that attractive (this is how I found Guam to be, and I know the Marianas are developing in that direction as well.)

I am planning my first trip to Hawaii next year and just reading your post, I was thinking: is there any decision here??!! Hawaii in June is good weather and also the "off season" so hotel prices are better. It is only the off season because most US mainland tourists go in the winter when it is actually a bit more rainy but it is cold in the US so people want to go and therefore prices are higher; June is better weather but prices are lower. If you want out of the way in Hawaii, go to Moloka'i.

I live in Hong Kong and would not pick Guangzhou unless you want to use it as a jumping off point to go to other places in China. You will also need a visa for China if you want to do any traveling or even just to stay in Guangzhou, but that itself which does not offer much to see or do. It is of course quite close to Hong Kong, and you could get to Beijing or other parts in a few hours flight, but IMO China should be the focus of a separate trip not a stop for a few days. How long do you have? You will not find good beaches in China generally, but you could go to Hainan island, about an hour flight from the Guangzhou area which is the Hawaii of China (but why not go to Hawaii??!!). There is some very good hiking in Hong Kong, although it will be bloody hot in June and usually rainy (over 85 F most days and quite humid, many days over 90F). There are some pretty beaches as well, and in the Sai Kung area they are even swimable.

As for Osaka, I think you could get there just as easily (or even more easily) from Tokyo on the train, and also stopping there won't break up the air journey in anyway, so I don't see the point in doing a stop over there. Also don't know the beach situation there.

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical temps and rainfall in the places you are considering.