Narita overnight, China tailors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our return home from China on ANA Airlines in mid October includes an overnight at Narita Airport (arriving Narita about 8:15 pm and leaving the following morning at about 11:00). We understand that Narita is about 2 hours from Tokyo by car. Is there any faster way to get to Tokyo at that time of the evening, and is it even advisable to try? Is there anything of note to see around Narita?

Also, our Hong Kong tailor plans are unraveling (forgive me, couldn't resist...) due to time constraints and very high cost to ship/US Customs fees for finished products, so we wonder if anyone can recommend a tailor in Beijing or Shanghai? Thank you - Claire
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:36 AM

Claire-the Keisei Skyliner on the lower level of Narita will get you to Tokyo's Ueno Station in 55 minutes. The cost is 1,900 yen, no credit cards. It's very comfortable, quick, and the announcements are in English. Once at Ueno, you can transfer to the Ginza subway line, go 4 stops to the end, and you;'ll be at Asakusa-right at the entrance to Sensoji Temple/Kaminarimon Gate. You can stay at Ryokan Shigetzu, which is within walking distance of the subway, if you'd like. I have taken this "forced layover" on ANA as well, except that I extended my return for 3 days so I could spend time in Tokyo. What I have described above is a bit of work for just one late overnight.

As far as the area around Narita, there are a number of expensive hotels in the area, or you can take a short train ride from the airport into the town of Narita, which is a nice little town with a temple, however, you wouldn't have time to see it, so I wouldn't think there would be a good reason for going there on a late overnight.

As far as getting into Tokyo, there would certainly be things to see, you could walk around the temple area at night, which is beautiful, and there would be a number of restaurants open in the area of Nakamise-dori late at night, but you would have to get the early Skyliner back to Narita, the first one leaving Ueno around 6:00-6:30am or so. (check their website) In short, a night in Tokyo on the forced layover IS doable, but you'd have to be willing to forego sleep to do so. But you know yourselves, so you can decide whether you want to go for it or not.

You can leave your large baggage at a place on the lower level arrivals hall in Narita-very convenient-I left mine there for 3 days, cost is per bag-and it is also near the Citibank ATM machines, where you can use your US ATM card to withdraw yen.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM

Claire, how much time do you have in Hong Kong? It's true that I wouldn't have things shipped to me for just the reason you state. But my clothes were done in three days in Hong Kong (they told me four days, just in case).
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Spygirl and Kathie - Thanks for your replies. Spygirl - ANA puts us up at their hotel in Narita as part of the ticket price, so we'll try to get settled there as quickly as we can and then see about hooking up with the Skyliner, depending on energy level at that time. How much of a hassle is airport security flying out of Narita? Ditto Q re flying out of Hong Kong airpport to Narita? (Sorry to hear about your stolen CD bag in London - ouch.)

Kathie - Turns out our flight from Guilin puts us into Hong Kong Friday night at 10:30! Then that Monday our flight leaves at 3:10 afternoon, thus leaving only Saturday all day (assuming they can start on our order right away if we can do initial measuring when they open Sat. morning) and Monday morning (closed Sun). So that gives them pretty much only a day and a half, which sounds impossible to me. Claire
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Claire, that is a bind. I agree that I doubt they could do it in that little time. Do email them and ask, though. They shop will be closed on Sunday, but the people doing the tailoring will likely be working.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Claire-thanks for the sympathy! It was actually a Prada bag, but I address the loss on our Pink Chanel Handbag thread!

You raise an excellent question concerning the departure hassle out of Narita-and something I neglected to address. First, though, take a look at that website that I just posted to Kirby-Mike Newman's Layover Page-you'll find it quite useful-some of the information as to prices is a bit dated, but otherwise an excellent resource, IMO.

Now, about getting into Narita from Tokyo for your flight. I would arrive at the airport a full three hours before to get through the ANA counter, passport control, and security. My flight left at 11:00am thereabouts on a Sunday, and the crowds at Narita at 7:30am were enormous (this was last April.) ANA is very efficient (am flying them to HKG and out of BKK over New Year's -EXCELLENT deal on airfare, btw!) but the lines were VERY LONG in all of the above areas-so, plan accordingly.

One bright spot about getting to the airport and through security early is that it gives you so much more time to shop-and the shopping is good at Narita! There are branches of the big depato (Mitsukoshi and the like) plus all kinds of other little shops to pick up very high quality items to bring back, in addition to various Japanese foodstuffs (which are fun to sample). The price for the cotton yukatas at one Narita shop, for example, were the same, or a bit lower than I had seen in Tokyo (cotton yukatas are an excellent gift-for yourself first!)

So keep that in mind-if you don't have the inclination to shop in Tokyo or around in Narita City (depending on where you go) you have a great shopping selection at Narita.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Kathie - Good idea - I'll email the HK tailors to see what they think they can do.

Spygirl - Thanks for the link - it's really terrific. Hadn't realized Narita airport would have good local stores. Would that include stores selling low-priced electronics (Sony or other Japanese-made video camera, for example)? Or is there a reputable place in Beijing or Shanghai to get a bargain on electronics guaranteed to be the real thing?
Thanks - Claire
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Claire-I cannot address the prices at the electronics shops in Narita Airport-but it seemed there were quite a few of them, and I did note there were crowds in each, so maybe a good deal could be had-although generally speaking, I don't think buying electronic goods in Japan is that much of a bargain-however, what you do get in Japan are the latest high-tech offerings that have not yet made it to the States.

And I'm glad you liked the link to MN-I found it quite useful.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Claire, while there will be shops in Narita with quality electronics, you'll usually pay more than you do in the US! Sometimes you'll be able to find models not available in the US that will be worth your while. Do make sure you get an international warranty. I wouldn't buy electronics in China as many are grey market (at best) and the prices for the real thing won't be as low as you can get in the US on the internet.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

I'll use my trusty US sources then for video equipment. So glad to get this warning from you 2. Spygirl - Found by close examination of the Narita link and calling ANA that our luggage will be checked through directly to DC from HK w/out our having to reclaim in Tokyo - hurrah! Kathie - HK tailor does indeed work on Sunday - apparently when pressed to do so - so they expect this will work out after all! Thanks again for that suggestion. More time now to shop for fakes in Shanghai and see the many sights in Beijing! Claire
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Claire, I'm glad everything is working out for you and David. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!