Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help us plan our 2 week honeymoon trip to Hawaii! =)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I will be going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We have never been so we'd love to hear recommendations on how long we should stay at the following islands: Kaua'i, Maui, O'ahu, Hawai'i. Our trip will be about 11-13 days. We are not golfers, we want to do the touristy stuff but we also want to relax!. Are four islands too much? Should we cut one of those islands out, if so which one?
Also I saw on other threads that there are huts/treehouses to stay in? Has anyone done that, what was it like? Due to cost we'll probably stay at whatever hotels we can get good deals but for the first couple nights we could stay someplace nice (probably start off in O'ahu or should we save that for Kaua'i or Maui??). And at some point a unique place (i.e. Hut/treehouse in the rainforest??)
Any additional tips, like definite food places, sightseeings spots, quiet beaches, car rental, money saving tips are appreciated!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:22 AM

misweet, first of all, congratulations! Keep in mind that every time you change islands it's essentially going to cost a day, by the time you pack, check out, get to the airport, turn in a car, go through security, wait, fly, pick up a car, get to a new hotel, check in, and get settled. I'd pick two islands and have time to savor the flavor that Hawai'i has to offer. I know of no tree houses, but I do know of a resort where everyone has a private bungalow (some on stilts). All the food in included, as well as snorkel gear, kayaks, small sailboats, tennis, and other amenities. I built a website to help folks decide if it's for them or not:
http://www.davidskvr.net/Life_in_the...a_Village.html. It has honeymoon written all over it.
David
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM

I agree with David--2 islands would be ideal for the amount of time you will have. So you need to decide which two.

You seem to be interested in alternative/different types of lodging. If the Big Island is one of your choices, here are a couple of websites to check out.

http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/ We stayed there for a week a few years ago--the pictures are accurate. Be aware that you are probably 1 hour away from the Kohala Coast beaches.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/biapt.htm this website has a variety to types of lodging
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM

For two weeks, plan on two islands. This is supposed to be a stressless time for the two of you. You have all the frenzy of the wedding to get over, plus the possible jetlag from the flights.

I would make Maui one of them. It has lovely beaches, restaurants, and nice hotels. You will need a rental car.

There are some private accomodations that might be classified as tree houses. I would not be able to vouch for their cleanliness or the legality of the rentals. You can google to find them.

What is your daily budget?
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Remember, tropical climate + rainforest + treehouse = bugs
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Congrat's!
2 islands are ideal.
Kauai and Maui or Kauai and O'ahu.
Lots of great deals right now for 4* resorts.
We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and it was truly a gorgeous 5* resort.
Expedia.com is a good website to get prices.
O'ahu, I love the Royal Hawaiian.
Maui, I like the Westin or Grand Wailea.
Aloha.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM

My daughter and her husband also honeymooned in Hawaii. They stayed one week one the Big Island and then flew to Oahu for a few days.

Their biggest regret was not saying in Oahu the entire time. They felt there was so much more to do and see.

My next recommendation would be Kauai.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM

I agree with previous posters that 2 islands should be the max for the time you will be in Hawaii. The islands you will like the best will depend on what sort of activities you like to do and how much night life and shopping is important to you. If you mention those details it would be easier to get advice on which island to pick.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For free brochures for each of the islands:

1-800-GOHAWAII
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! Those are good things to consider... I'll have to keep researching and make a decision! Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:17 PM

i agree on cutting it down to 2 islands. you want to see a bunch, but you don't want to feel like you are packing and unpacking all the time. i would say oahu and maui.

as for the expense part, have you thought of doing a honeymoon registry? we're using www.depositagift.com it's a super classy site, very easy to use, and totally feels (for guests) like they're giving a real gift. we've been really satisfied with them so far.

good luck with the planning! isn't it fun?!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:04 PM

I agree with two islands, I have been going to Hawaii since the '70's and I would recommend at most a day at Wakiki, and then Maui and Kuaui. There is a book titled Maui Revealed which I found to have the best advice I have ever seen. I used it during my Hawaii honeymoon back in 2002 and it made the trip. The same author also wrote a book about Kuaui but I don't recall the title.

Do you your research and book your inner island flights in advance! I tried a last minute trip from Maui to the Big Island one year and the flight was very expensive because I did the last minute flight. Also I don't recommend the ferry, not worth the extra time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:30 AM

I agree with others who have said to visit 3 islands in your 11-13 days. We recently returned from a trip - 3 nights in Honolulu (rented a condo), 7 nights in a cottage at Poipu, Kauai, and 3 nights at a resort on the east coast of Kauai. We thought about going to Maui for the last 3 nights but decided, for the exact reasons David mentioned, to stay on Kauai.

This website may be helpful to you. You can click on the other islands at the top.

http://www.wizardpub.com/Kauai/kauaerials.html

Enjoy your honeymoon in Hawaii and best wishes to you both! We honeymooned there 40 years ago and have gone back, over the years, at least 6 times visiting Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM

Misweet, I meant 2 islands, not 3.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM

If you really want to stay in a real tree house, there have a couple listed on http://www.treehouseplanning.com/ I used that site to find a tree house in the Caribbean once. Most tree houses in hawaii, though, are supported by poles from the ground, but at least they get you up in the canopy. I love Hawaii, I hope you have a great time!