Best Way to Combine a Hawaii and Tahiti Honeymoon?

Jan 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM
lee

Best Way to Combine a Hawaii and Tahiti Honeymoon?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for July 17-26. We would like to go to both one of the Tahitian islands (or two if possible) and one Hawaiian island.

I have been looking at all of the agenices on the web, and all of them only offer packages for Hawaii or Tahiti, nothing combined.

I know we can save a lot of money with a package, so I am wondering if anyone can offer recommendations on what to do and where to look.

We are from upstate New York, and have never left the East Coast, so we are SOOO excited to go to the tropical Pacific. We have been saving forever, and can sort of splurge for our honeymoon.

Any advice is really appreciate, also anyone's personal experiences would be great!!

Many, many thanks in advance!! With Kindest Regards - Lee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM
toofar

hi

despite the fact that they are both tropical and in the south pacific- hawaii and tahiti are not normally ombined as they are more than 5 hours flying time apart- if you fold the equator- hawaii is as far up as tahiti is down-

taking a day to go between the hawaiian islands is usually stressful enough.

i would suggest deciding which it will be tahiti OR hawaii and then focusing on the islands within each group. both islands groups have endless options. in general, tahiti is more expensive and more "romantic" because of its "exotic" nature. hawaii, though, is beautiful and i believe the # 1 honeymoon choice still.

if you insist on doing both, be sure you have like a week in each, that way you'll be able to spare the complete and full day of travel you'll have to spend getting from one to the other.

good luck!

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:50 PM
toomuch

Ten days in Hawaii would be wonderful.

Oahu, Kauai, and the big island, you will find, are quite different from Rome.

Plenty enough opportunities to splurge on yourself there. Unless you are really interested on splurging on the airlines.

Tahiti? Ok, but "never left the east coast". I haven't been there and I plan to go, but I went to Hawaii first and loved it.

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:58 PM
toomuch

Ten in Tahiti on your tin, terrific.

Jan 15th, 2003, 09:06 PM
toofar

i wanted to add, that we have been to over 50 countries, and every time we find ourselves using hawaii as the barometer as in "this is nice, but it's not as ______ as hawaii."

the ____ in tahiti was that it was not as friendly as hawaii.

however, this IS your honeymoon, and the water in tahiti is like a bathtub filled with colorful fish-

also, in tahiti you will find those "overwater bungalows" that people go to tahiti for, you just will be a little more dependent on the hotel activity desk than you would in hawaii where you would be able to rent a car and drive around on your own.

if you do decide on tahiti- tahitiexplorer is a good website with hotel pictures/ideas and a bulletin board just about tahiti.

i would say bora bora is a very popular choice. how much $$ have you saved? rooms there are minimum $350 a night. seriously, that's american money.

moorea is a little less expensive and has many beautiful beaches. i would not fly all that way to only stay on the main island.

if you decide on hawaii, call 1-800 Go Hawaii for their free planner. i agree that kaui and the big island are oahu are the top three places to go...and very doable for a 10 day trip. if you want a bit of romance right at the beginning, start in kauai and chill at the princeville and then explore.

bye again!

Jan 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM
DJ

Hi Lee,
For a special trip like a honeymoon, I would suggest going to French Polynesia for that truly tropical experience. There are a number of islands to choose from. I would not spend much time on Tahiti itself. Check out the following website for all info on this region. www.tahitiexplorer.com. I have been there twice once on a cruise of the islands and more recently staying on the various islands. Both were wonderful trips. Also look into a cruise on the Radissons Paul Gaugain. Also a great way to get a good look and relax in a casually elegant atmosphere. Hawaii is nice ( I have been many times to all the islands ) and I think Kauai is the most lush and picturesque island. Check out the Princeville Resort on the North Coast. BUT it is still a part of America and won't give you that special south pacific tropical feel.
Another nice alternative might be Fiji. A beautiful tropical island resort is the Yasawa Resort in the Yasawa island chain. This would make a wonderful romantic spot for a honeymoon. A small intimate resort ( the only one on the island ) with wonderful staff and fabulous food. Lots of water activities, nice walks, etc.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you and your fiance a wonderful time.

Jan 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Ericka

Yes, it seems that if you want to combine Hawaii and Tahiti, you're on your own. There probably aren't any packages available - which I don't think is a bad thing. You deserve to have complete control over your accomodations and a package will be hard pressed to do that for you. Personally, I vote for Bora Bora because the Hawaiian honeymoon is such a cliche. If you try to do both, you'll need 3 weeks to do it right and you may spread yourself thin on money. Why not pick one or the other and go first class! If it's variety you're looking for - do Bora Bora and Moorea or Kauai, Hawaii, and Maui.

Jan 17th, 2003, 10:55 AM
LordBalfor

Having done this very thing (in March of 2000), I'd have to say that I agree with most of the posters here and say that you should choose one or the other. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and I don't regret any of it - but we had 17 days to your 10 ... and we were only coming from Seattle (instead of New York). I think if you try to combine both areas, you will be spending far too much time in the air.

Yhe good news is both areas are terrific and you're likely to have terrific time in either one, so it's a win/win situation.

Ken

Jan 26th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Dave

Lee:

My fiance and I will be doing just that in June. We're leaving NYC on the 5th, and returning on the 23rd, so it's more "doable" for us. If you've only got 10 days, I'd really suggest one or the other. However, if you can add on an extra week or so, I'd say you should be able to do it without any problem. One thing to remember -- to get down to FP from Hawaii you'll have to fly Hawaiian Air, and if my memory serves me correctly, flights only depart on Sat. and return on Sun. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Jan 26th, 2003, 12:37 PM
lee

Hi again everyone!!

Thanks so much for the advice and info - I think we are going to postpone the trip, and wait until we can take about 3 weeks, and combine thw two.

Dave - have a great honeymoon and congrats!! Lee

Jan 26th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Ericka

Lee,
I know this is really none of my business but I have to butt in anyway....NO, NO, NO! DON'T POSTPONE YOUR TRIP! IT'S YOUR HONEYMOON AND YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO MAKE IT REALLY FEEL LIKE YOUR HONEYMOON - THAT IS - RIGHT AFTER YOUR WEDDING. YOU'VE SAVED MONEY AND NOW HAVE THE CHANCE TO TAKE A PHENOMONAL TRIP. WHY NOT GO TO FRENCH POLYNESIA NOW AND SAVE HAWAII FOR YOUR 5TH OR 10TH ANNIVERSARY?

Jan 26th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Dave

Lee, she makes a good point. My fiance and I are actually waiting a couple weeks. We're getting married in the South, and really will need some recuperating time before we head on our honeymoon (is that a ridiculous comment or what!!!). Besides, by waiting a couple weeks, we're able to make that honeymoon what it is -- specifically, the realization of a life-long dream.

As for you, I guess the question is, how long were you planning to post-pone the trip? Also, as this is YOUR honeymoon (not anyone elses), if both of you are fine/comfortable/happy/etc with waiting a bit, then that's all that matters. If it were me, I wouldn't wait much longer than a few weeks. If we waited a long time (i.e. month/s) then for us it wouldn't feel like a honeymoon. But again, this is for you two and you two alone. So do whatever will make you two the most happy.

Cheers