Search

Hawaii Honeymoon - Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Honeymoon - Itinerary

OK,

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning my honeymoon and am trying to figure out the best way to split up September 10-21 leaving out of New York. I'm just starting so i have a lot of work to do, but just looking for good ideas as to what islands to visit and what the most logical order is. I know nothing about hawaii!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe need a guidebook to figure out which islands you both are interested in seeing... Oahu, Maui, Big Island, Kauai, Molokai, Lanai??? There's no obvious logical order imo. With 11 days and a long flight from NY, I'd think seeing two islands might be good?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM

Most honeymooners seem to prefer Maui. Young travelers seem to like Oahu. Folks that really like the outdoors [hike etc] seem to like Big Island.

I would strongly suggest NOT doing more than 2 islands or you will waste a lot of valuable time changing islands and all that goes with it [packing, checking out, airport thing etc].

To save some time, see if you can fly into one island and then do an interisland flight to second island and then fly home from there. Will save time and $$.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Also, type Hawaii honeymoon in the search box on top of page to see other similar Q & A's
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM

Pick up a Fodors or Frommers Book that covers all the main tourist islands and read it. That will give you a decent overview and will help you narrow things down a bit.

Be prepared for lots of advice and opinions when you start asking which islands to visit.

-pila
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM

I also like the Moon Handbook guidebook series for Hawaii.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM

You should also do a search on threads here to get a better idea of what island you might like best.

Please note that that period of time will be during the Aloha Festivals (www.alohafestivals.com), a statewide celebration of Hawaii's culture. You can also find out more about what's going on at www.gohawaii.com.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:09 AM

"Most honeymooners seem to prefer Maui. Young travelers seem to like Oahu. Folks that really like the outdoors [hike etc] seem to like Big Island."

Thanks for the quick synopsis!

I've never had any interest in Hawaii, but my girlfriend really wants to go, so I'm starting to research.

Keith
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM

I never had any interest in Hawaii either... until the first time I went there that is -LOL! Now you can't keep me away.

I'll add, people like Kauai because it is "laid back".
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM

More to see & do on Oahu than any other island. Spend 1/2 the time there & pick one other island. Maui is my second favorite. But, all islands are nice.

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.mauihawaii.org great site of Maui Jon

www.bigisland.org free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com

www.gohawaii.com free brochure

www.visit-oahu.com free brochure Over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on their site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

September after Labor Day is one of the lowest number for tourists to Hawaii. So you have a lot of time to decide.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

"Most honeymooners seem to prefer Maui. Young travelers seem to like Oahu. Folks that really like the outdoors [hike etc] seem to like Big Island."

Hmmmm...I wonder what type of people like Kaua'i?

-pila
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Reply to iamq, as previously stated by the Kahuna "nobody here but us ~gt;~gt;~gt;"
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM

pila-

"Kaua'i" = all of the above!!

Debi
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cracker

iamq, only Kal's kranky kissing kousins known as the K9's like Kauai!

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM

You didn't say your age range but my husband and I are in our early 30's and have been to Maui, Kauai, Big Island and Oahu.

We loved the Big Island for the volcano and some good snorkeling. We also liked Oahu because there's lots to see and do. You really can't go wrong with any of the islands. We're really active people and don't like to spend the much time laying around.
It just depends on what you'd like to see and do.
I recommend the Blue Book series on Hawaii. Have used them on every island!!
Aloha,
Amy

PS: Here's a link to my photos in case you want to get into the Aloha state of mind (click on the 2nd link): http://community.webshots.com/user/amylittle

All 4 island are there in their own albums.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM

Okay never mind, there's not 2 links!! Just click on the only one there
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO, the NORTH shore of Kauai is about as beautiful as it gets for mountains, ocean and beach all wrapped in one. And there's also lots and lots to do on the island. For lodging, we stayed in this very nice, 2 story, stand alone villa with wonderful views and no contiguous neighbors located in Princeville: www.kauaivilla.com Had I known about that island and that reasonably priced villa when I was planning our honeymoon, guess where I'd have gone. In a heartbeat.

I think I'd plan on seeing 2 islands. I'm not sure it matters which one you start with. Settle on the islands you guys want to visit and then let airline schedules dictate where to start and where to end. Happy planning and congratulations!!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

So far, a friend of mine has a former roommate who is from Hawaii, and he recommended Kauai as a must see. I figured the second island would be Oahu or Maui.

If i did 2 of those three islands, is it still somehow possible to see the volcano (a day trip hike maybe)? or is that a useless endeavor unless you stay on the Big Island?

I'm probably looking at staying at marriots, maybe one of their vacation resorts.

with the aloha festivals going on, i assume i better reserve soon? do the hotels book up very early?

Thanks for all the help! I'll do some perusing on the boards tonight.