HELP Traveling to NYC

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Traveling to NYC

I landed an audition for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" in NYC next Monday, August 25. The audition is at 5 p.m. at West 67th street between Central Park West and Columbus Ave.

I have been to New York City maybe three times in my life, but never had to navigate there. I'm from North Carolina, and will be making the 10-hour drive to and from NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay, parking, etc.? I'm on a budget -- can't afford to fly. Wife is 6 months pregnant with our first child.

You guys have never let me down. Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Congrats on getting the audition! My suggestion is that you do a search of this site as there are numerous posts regarding reasonably priced hotels in that area. The area around the ABC studios (where you are going) is often referred to as the Upper West Side or Columbus Circle area, although hotels on Central Park South or in the northern part of west midtown would work for you as well.

Some that immediately come to mind are the Beacon (with kitchenettes), On the Ave, The Hotel Empire, the Mayflower (more $$$). The Hilton would be a short bus or taxi ride away.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:37 AM

I actually live not far from there. There is a Howard Johnson on 8th Ave between 51 and 52nd Streets. Probably one of the more reasonably priced places, and a 15 min walk or one subway stop from where you need to be.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the area, I'm happy to help.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Rob

The Beacon, On The Ave and the Empire are all within walking distance of the studio. Whichever hotel you choose you will have to factor in parking which can cost up to $35 a day in that area.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM
GoTravel

May I suggest Amtrak from Charlotte? It is quite cheap, usually under $100 per person and you will not have to pay for parking which can be hefty. Also, for lack of a better way to say it, driving on I-95 is hell.

For a room, go to BiddingForTravel.com and and read how to bid on a 2.5 or 3 star hotel in Midtown West or the Upper West Side. They've been going as low as $65 per night.

Good luck and hope you get on!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:00 PM
GoTravel

I just checked Amtrak and they do have a vacation package, round trip train to NYC, two nights accommodations, and tickets on the Grayline double decker tour bus for $199 per person. Even that would be cheaper than hotel, gas, parking, etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:16 PM

As you're on a tight budget, you might look into parking at New Jersey's "Metropark" and taking a NJT train (not Amtrak) into NYC.

Check www.amtrak.com too, and click on "Rail Sale" ... there might be some REAL cheap tix available.

I'm gonna get "pounded" for this, but consider staying in NJ as well, if you're budgeting real tight. You might get some good deals on a Newark Airport hotel ... other NJ locations have been suggested on this board as well. Not so good for sightseeing, but that doesn't appear to be the focus of this trip anyway. Good Luck!