Weekend in New Orleans???

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM
iceeu2

Weekend in New Orleans???

Delta has some great fares this weekend to New Orleans from Atlanta ($108rt). If you go on Saturday morning and return on Monday...where would you stay?...The French Quarter??? Where would you eat your main meal??? With such limited time....would you rent a car or just take a cab?
Or is the air fare so great because it is just too too hot down there right now....BTW, the heat index here today if 101.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stay at the Holiday Inn Chateau la Moyne. It's on the edge of the Quarter not too far from St. Charles St. I've been there 2 times and never gotten a car-just cab or streetcar, especially for such a short trip. We ate at Emerils one night.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:37 PM

We stayed at the Maison St Charles Quality Inn and Suites , with a great summer rate. We are from the south so we are used to the heat. I would definately take the streetcar it runs right in front of the hotel,and order from a little restaurant called Cafe Roma, great food, good price!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:21 PM

You can find great bargains at most hotels now with summer rates - Definitely don't bother renting a car, if you stay in the Quarter you can "hoof" it wherever you want. And, YEP - it's HOT!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:22 PM

New Orleans is one of my favorite vacation destinations, but I try to avoid it in August and September, when the heat and humidity can be so high it's difficult to catch your breath. Rates are low because it isn't comfortable...and I've lived in the south virtually all my life.

Having said that, if I were to spend a weekend there, I'd stay in the French Quarter at the Royal Sonesta (a courtyard/pool view room) and go for a Sunday jazz brunch at Commander's Palace if it isn't too late to reserve. I'd definitely not rent a car (you won't need it) and you can get a great dinner at the Palace Cafe, which is within walking distance of the Royal Sonesta. Ditto Mr. B's, which is another favorite restaurant of mine. Their gumbo ya-ya is fabulous and the real deal. Good luck with your plans!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Even for a longer trip you wouldn't need a car. A friend of mine was in NO last week and although it was hot, it wasn't so hot that she was miserable or anything.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:24 PM
dln

This is our favorite place to stay in New Orleans: Ashton's Bed and Breakfast. It is on Esplanade Avenue, within walking distance to the Art Museum and very close to the French Quarter, but not so close that you hear all the noise! It's an 1860s Greek Revival Mansion, and each room has its own bathroom. You feel like you've slipped back a century or two when you stay there, but it's very comfortable and beautiful. The innkeepers are NO natives and cook like angels! They know everything and everyone in NO. The website is www.ashtonsbb.com. Take a look!